Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 27,447 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking into relocating to Oak Island, NC. I am from a small town originally in the mountains and like the idea of a small town to raise my family by the coast. Oak Island came up on my research. I've been doing much research on the area and am seeing many pros and cons. Most of the cons are about expenses and tourist seasons. Hoping some locals can help direct my family and I into the right path in finding out if Oak Island is a good match for us. For us to come visit would be tricky so before we do seeking out some advice. Please be honest but respectful!

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee1914 View Post
Hoping some locals can help direct my family and I into the right path in finding out if Oak Island is a good match for us.
I have been to Oak Island only in the summer. I think the main issue would be how your kids would deal with the relative isolation during the winter. I honestly don't know the year-round population, but I would go by the number on the C-D profile. It is about 7,300 with a median age of 54.4 years. The population age means lots of seniors and not many kids.

Would your kids be able to amuse themselves, or would they be bored to tears if they don't have playmates their own age?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Storms, tourists, hot, humidity, bugs.

Sun, sand, ocean, boats, fishing, active community's.

A mix of homes from a million plus to trailers. If you eat out, you pay top dollar for water views regardless of food quality.

Two bridges connect the island to the mainland, one at the east end and one at the west end.

Its roughly 5 miles long and 4,500 feet wide.

Outside the tourists, you will find a community much like any other. Many people that work in the area live on the island, many are retired. Nice folks. You get some criminals and crazies, including a few heroin addicts. A lot of transplants, many from up north somewhere.

There is a grocery store, a community center and two fire/EMS departments.

Wilmington is about 45 minutes north and Myrtle Beach about the same south.

Southport is THE place to be on the 4th of July.

Nearby, off the island, are at least 3-4 grocery stores including a Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, demists, opticians, general practitioners and a small hospital in Southport, one in Bolivia and probably the largest hospital on the NC coast in Wilmington.

Brunswick county is probably the fastest growing county in NC and probably ranks pretty high nationally.

Highway 211 is scheduled for four lanes from Midway to Southport, starting in the next year or so and will probably take 4-5 years to finish as a couple of overpasses are involved.

Don't know much about the schools, there is a community college in Bolivia.

That is most of it in a nut shell.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
What are you going to do for a job? And I'd certainly never move anywhere without visiting it first.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

183 posts, read 286,741 times
Join this large FB group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/OakIsland/
and maybe this one, https://www.facebook.com/groups/762267020488173/

Old 07-27-2016, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 27,447 times
Thank you for your advice and knowledge! It's all taken into consideration. I think my main concerns are being solely around retirees. My husband and I are near 30 so would want to find couples around our age as well for kids. We come from father south so am use the humidity, not that I'll ever be a fan of it!

My husband and I both work mainly remotely so we are flexible as to where we live. We plan on visiting the areas that we have singled out numerous times before moving however we do not have the ability with our life to take many trips at once to different areas so trying to narrow them out. The other 2 areas of interest on the NC coast I have spent years visiting and family live. Oak Island is the only new one to us.

I'm curious if what I read about taxes, sewer and water being so high are true?

Old 07-27-2016, 03:30 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
You could check the taxes with the county. The over-all rate for Brunswick is .4850 and the add-on rate for Oak Island is .29 or total of .775 . There might also be a fire district or trash collection bill, but the mil rate of .775 is not bad compare to many cities. Web site here: Tax Office » Brunswick County Tax Rates

I don't know the water and sewer rate, but it is certainly harder to provide services out on an island with a variable population. The permanent people have to cover the costs of all those vacationers in the summer.

The other thing to be concerned about is homeowner insurance to cover the hurricane risk. You should expect it to be higher than your property tax. Many owners need to rent out their properties in the summer to cover those insurance bill. With any property you look at, ask what the current bill is, and then assume it could go up 20% next year.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 PM

324 posts, read 387,247 times
You might check the distance from Brunswick 1, 2 nuclear plants. Stats below:

Plant Operator: Progress Energy
Oldest reactor on site: 37 years old
Same containment system as the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan

walessp

Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Thank you for your advice and knowledge! It's all taken into consideration. I think my main concerns are being solely around retirees. My husband and I are near 30 so would want to find couples around our age as well for kids. We come from father south so am use the humidity, not that I'll ever be a fan of it!

My husband and I both work mainly remotely so we are flexible as to where we live. We plan on visiting the areas that we have singled out numerous times before moving however we do not have the ability with our life to take many trips at once to different areas so trying to narrow them out. The other 2 areas of interest on the NC coast I have spent years visiting and family live. Oak Island is the only new one to us.

As goldenage pointed out, property taxes are pretty low. For a house with a tax value of $250,000, the annual property tax would be $1,937.50.

Water and sewer, especially sewer, is very expensive on OKI. If you use 3,000 gallons a month, the water and sewer bill would be $174.02 monthly.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I lived there for several years and taught school. I left for three reasons:

1] I witnessed first hand, up close and personal, the kind of trouble young teenagers can get into at a rather isolated beach town.
2] With so many retirees with time on their hands, Oak Island was way too political. At the time, and even now, the retiree most important issues, and even their positions on such issues were way different than mine!
3] A real smart lady told me after I moved down there that I needed to be careful of most locals. She stated many folks moved to the beach because it , the beach, was one positive memory of their life, and thus in an attempt to re-create this positive a]They were more or less on vacation, in their minds and b] Many had little to offer, based on the driving force for their residency.

All of these factors played out daily. Seldom and probably never, did workers show up on time, meetings could not be scheduled reliably, and too many, way too many "parents" we're at the Tika Bar, having a great time, while their kids ran amok on the island.

Finally, it is not random that Oak Island has the most undeveloped beach property. The Cape Fear River dumps into the Atlantic, just east of OI and the sediment travels west, making the beach water dingy. You can go west to Holden or Ocean Isle and you can see the difference. Having seen the water at Oak Island you would be stunned by the difference in water quality (at least in regard to clarity) along the crystal coast up at Emerald Isle. I am not talking pollution but just the water clarity.

Good luck. We had some great times on the island, but in the end, I recognized my limitations as a parent, and did not want to dare fate by bringing up middle schoolers on the island.

Finally, my experiences are based on the early 2000s. Things may have changed, but frequent visits to in-laws who live there AND LOVE IT, suggests not.
Again, good luck and hope things work out positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina