Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 AM

56 posts, read 118,435 times

Advertisements

We are heading south from Ohio this Friday to the Crystal Coast, and was wondering if any highways, like 95S, 795 and 70E are having any issues from the storm. It is confusing reading news articles and even the local beach news channel WCTI12 as they report all the flooding issues and rivers cresting in many Eastern Carolina counties. How are major highways and do you foresee any traveling issues? Thank you much and know we watched and prayed for the residents of our dear NC from here in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 03:54 AM

98 posts, read 129,370 times
Well, we came down 95 Sunday from Pa. Keep your gas tank full once you enter NC. Cause lots of power is out and the stations arent working. I'm not sure whats open now and what isn't cause the rivers are cresting throughout the week and roads are falling apart from washout. When we came down we ended up taking 95s to 40e and taking that the whole way in to Wilm. Now we had to jump on and off 95 a couple times and had to backtrack to get to 40e due to closures. 795 was closed when we came down sunday, not sure if it is open now. 421 is a disaster as was 301 when we tried sunday.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:04 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
We are heading south from Ohio this Friday to the Crystal Coast, and was wondering if any highways, like 95S, 795 and 70E are having any issues from the storm.
Stretches of 70 East may experience flooding, and power is out in places. Mandatory evacuations are still in place in some towns. Not all road closings are known. A friend reported trying to drive on Sunday from the Fayetteville area to Swansboro and found 4 different routes blocked.

Depending on your reasons for travel, you might want to postpone the trip.

You might also telephone the local police or sheriff where you are going. Also check Channel 7 for news: http://www.witn.com/

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-11-2016 at 05:23 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 AM

98 posts, read 129,370 times
ReadyNC.org and download the app. 511 is there as is road closures and traffic updates.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,097,289 times
There is currently a road closure of I-95 in Wilson County. Also there are currently road closures of I-70 eastbound in Kinston, but there might be a detour.

Check for Lenoir and Wilson County news: ROAD CONDITIONS: County by county during the hurricane

Old 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,744,483 times
Not to be Debbie Downer but I am afraid you will find issues.

Currently significant portions of both I40 and I95 are closed .. multi-miles, not just a point. The good news is that you will not need these stretches to get to Crystal Coast. The bad news is that if these big roads are closed, that ain't good. And the worst is yet to come.

Your biggest concern should be US 70. It is major road into this region and it is close to being closed, in several places. Depending on the source, the flooding won't peak until late this week, but that is a long way from receding.

Transportation officials are going out of their way to talk about how big, time consuming inspections will have to take place before roads are opened.

Power and cable are still "iffy" and information is even more scarce. For instance our cable was fine through storm, but went out at noon yesterday. Still out. Again, cable neither makes nor breaks vacations but illustrates that the storm's impact on infrastructure is not over til it's over.

I know Google maps shows the major road closures, just stay informed and have a Plan B. And a Plan C.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times
I have friends where I used to live in Kinston & Goldsboro and they have told me it's very bad and only expected to get worse when the Neuse River crests in a few days. Power is still out in many areas. If this trip isn't a necessity I would reschedule it.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,365,644 times
There is flooding in Goldsboro. Rivers are not expected to crest until Friday.

Check NCDOT: Travel Information for road closures.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,744,483 times
This is what is going on down here. This is Pitt County, again, not necessarily on your route, but I just had to re-sked a neurology appointment for my daughter, which has taken 5 months to get. They are closing tomorrow. The narrative indicates a lot of roads/bridges are being closed tonight at 6:00 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Z1-DrSqQZjTkck

Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM

192 posts, read 257,420 times
FWIW - I have been trying since yesterday morning to plot a course from Southport to northwestern NJ where we have a wedding to attend. Our plan was to leave this morning, overnight in Harrisburg VA, then on to our destination. We're still here!

Part of the problem is getting current information (perhaps that's why the OP asked on this forum). The NCDOT website is good but not frequently updated. It hasn't changed since 7:30 this morning. Be careful using that resource, too. Roads that are closed may not be shown unless you zoom in really tight. As an aside, I fully appreciate that the government resources have far more important things to do during this event than worry about my travel plans! The Weather Channel and local news, if you can get it, make it clear that the roads going through the area are blocked and will be for an unknown time period.

The latest route I have come up with goes all the way down to N. Myrtle Beach over to Columbia, SC then north to Charlotte and Virginia. None of the alternatives to get to, through or around 95 and 40 are working. At this point, we may not be going to the wedding at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina