Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

890 posts, read 4,330,714 times

Advertisements

Most of them are further inland to make them more affordable I assume. There are others from the Myrtle Beach area all the way down to Hilton Head. You might want to check out this thread for more ideas: https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...each-area.html

I thought this might interest you also: Welcome Charleston - Welcome 55 for Retirees: A Newcomers Resource for Relocation Information to Charleston, South Carolina - Any Time, Any Where (broken link)

Moderator cut: url removed
Good luck!

Last edited by autumngal; 03-10-2008 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 23,728 times
Thanks so much SCJJ! I'll check it all out.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,457,555 times
If the water is the big draw for you, and I am assuming you mean the beach, Intracoastal Waterway, and the Cape Fear River, then Wilmington may better suit you than the Triangle.

Check out some of the new communities across the River in Brunswick County. Friends of ours are very happy with the lifestyle they have in Waterford -- newer, all-brick homes, garden or patio-style. They have a very active community, too, with all sorts of going-ons. Nice mix of retirees, some professionals, and even young families.

Most places on the beaches will be expensive now, and a lot of what might have been 'starter homes' of sorts, even at Carolina Beach are out of the average person's price range because so many of those houses are torn down now for the lot(s). Much like everywhere else. Taxes on the beach are exorbitant. There are some nice neighborhoods/areas not too far from the beaches.

Contact a realtor, and make it clear what exactly you are looking for, and why, and be honest about your price range. After you've actually looked at some places, either in real time so to speak, or online, others may be better able to help you.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 23,728 times
Thanks Chatty Cathy!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,457,555 times
You are certainly most welcome, retired 07. And congratulations on your retirement. I retired, officially, in 2005 after realizing my health problems just were not conducive to staying in a classroom. I miss it terribly.

Wilmington is a nice place to retire, I think. You did not mention where you will be moving from, so I would ask if you know that 1) Wilmington suffers from poor planning in terms of its roads (but being able to come-and-go as you choose, it may be no problem for you) 2) is growing like mad and 3) can get pretty UNcomfortable in the summer with the heat and the humidity. If you are an outdoors person, however, there is still plenty to do in the general area(s), and being on the water is always lovely. Keep in mind, though, that A LOT of people seek the water, too, and it is congested a lot of times. As a young girl, I loved skiing down at Wrightsville Beach, but there are so many boats now until it is almost impossible, if not downright risky to get out in the sound on a pair of skis.

Still, the Intracoastal Waterway, the ocean, and the Cape Fear River afford great boating opportunities, and you should be able to find plenty of like-minded individuals your age.

I only initially suggested the Triangle area because my husband and I, in spite of being Wilmington natives, just longed to get away from the very thing you are seeking. It will appear wonderful to you, but for us, it has changed so much until it lost a lot of its charm, draw, and appeal for us. We don't anticipate ever returning, but do enjoy brief visits with our families and friends still there.

Good luck in your search. When you've narrowed your search down, some, maybe we can help with some questions you may develop. I do recommend Westport, and Waterford, just across the river as retired friends of ours really enjoy being there. Growing by leaps and bounds, it is a 'bedroom community' of Wilmington, will have many of the same amenities before long, and is cheaper to live.

Check out the lovely little town of Southport, too, which sits right on the Cape Fear (which splits into the Intracoastal Waterway and the ocean). If you don't mind going a little further South, there's also Calabash, about 20-30 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, SC.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,583 times
Default South of Wilmington

Have you considered going about 1 hour south of Wilmington? In Brunswick County just above the SC state line is Carolina Shores, Calabash, Sunset Beach area. With many neighborhoods that might be right for you. I work for a national builder, D R Horton in a new neighborhood in Carolina Shores. I would guess that about 75% of our buyers are retirees (or soon to be). 5 miles to Sunset Beach and Golf is everywhere. Let me know if you would like more info.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM

217 posts, read 1,118,405 times
Default Live South

Check this website out. Live South is a good publication and seems to focus on communities geared towards retirees, Moderator cut: url removed My mother in law and her husband purchased a property at Sunset Reach on the Cape Fear River (coming from Charlottesville, VA). They start building mid-May and are thrilled. Congrats on your retirement!

Last edited by autumngal; 03-10-2008 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM

12 posts, read 46,250 times
Beau Rivage is a golf community that has newer homes than Echo Farms. This is in the same area near Carolina Beach and may be a good place to look. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina