Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times

Advertisements

very up and coming neighborhood is what the real estate agents will tell ya, but I have been here for a while and the problem is that it has been up and coming for 4 years. they need to do a lot of work, rehab some older buildings, and get businesses to come there. if you want to be known as an art district, it takes more than signs on light poles, how about an art studio or something?! actually, the name "brooklyn arts" is a marketing ploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 44,442 times
Acme arts is one of the oldest art studios/co-op buildings in Wilmington, yes it is located in the Brooklyn Arts district. What about the Brooklyn Arts Center? I suppose the progress there is too slow as well.... Good things take time. I have seen some great improvements on the old St. Andrew's church, at one point I thought it would fall onto Fourth St. Now structurally, it is more sound.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:53 PM

It is true: "is what the real estate agents will tell ya"... You know who won't tell you that- the investors who are buying up properties. Jmarquise must be an investor for all the slamming he does of downtown!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 PM

the investors who are buying up properties? this is 2008, not 2005. people aren't investing in this town. people are buying homes, but not really investing. I actually am a homeowner and I live in chestnut heights. if you read most of my posts, you will see that I have done everything I can do to defend downtown. the "brooklyn arts district" is a marketing ploy. wilmington is a small town and doesn't really have districts. the real estate agents in this town cater to retirees from the NY area. this is no secret. so they started naming areas of downtown wilmington after areas in NY. they name a couple of places after NY, they get prospective buyers down here, and the rest takes care of itself. this isn't a complaint, it's just an educated observation. fact is, if you asked anyone from this area where the "brooklyn arts district" was, 99.9% of them would have no idea what they were talking about. unless the closely followed real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatgirl View Post
It is true: "is what the real estate agents will tell ya"... You know who won't tell you that- the investors who are buying up properties. Jmarquise must be an investor for all the slamming he does of downtown!

Last edited by jmarquise; 04-18-2008 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Actually the Brooklyn Arts District has had that name for over a hundred yrs, as the first "settlers" in that area were mostly from Brooklyn, NY. I believe it was originally just called "Brooklyn" you may be right about the arts part being added in recent yrs. The Brooklyn name is part of a long history of downtown, not a new invention.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 AM

hmmm, could you throw me up a link where I can see that information for myself? if you google search it, you come up with only real estate ads.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 102,157 times
Quote:
could you throw me up a link where I can see that information for myself?
A good place to start is the public library (seriously). You're not going to find a ton of that info on the web, that I know of. The 'Brooklyn' district is one of the older sections of downtown. The now demolished Taylor Homes sat on
N. 4th and was the oldest public housing unit in the state. It was originally built for the African American population (which made up the majority of the 'Brooklyn' district). Nesbitt Court soon followed (South Front/Third) and was to house poor whites. Check out some of the early aerials/Sanborne maps on file to get a good idea of the area at that time.

That said, the 'Brooklyn Arts District' (referred to as "BAD" from here on)is a joke to me. I shudder to think of some person in New York wanting to move here based on what they see advertised on the internet (not that I want them moving here anyway...).

BAD reminds me of Carolina Place or the even better "Castle St. Arts District".
You'd be nuts to walk from downtown proper to BAD at night. I guess you can see the lights of PPD and Isabel Holmes bridge from there...whoo hoo.

Anyone that asks me about living near the river/downtown, I say 'River Road'.
I'm not thrilled about all the construction that has/will happen(ed), but there's hope that it might actually be done right and will at least keep another yankee or two from moving to the beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina