Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,386 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my family will be moving to New Bern in June of this year and I'm trying to do as much research as possible before we do! Some quick info about us; My husband is a CNC Machinist, I stay home with our children who are 8 and 5. We have family that moved there earlier this year and we have decided to join them so our kids will have a better life. Here are my questions:

1. Our daughter is dyslexic, and it was a huge uphill battle with her current school to get her the extra help that she needs. So what is the best elementary school in the area for her to attend that will acknowledge her IEP and provide support?

2. My searches haven't turned up many manufacturing jobs in New Bern. My husband would be willing to work within a 30 mile radius of New Bern, but I'm worried that there isnt much to offer for machining? Can anyone tell me if there are companies that I'm just not seeing?

3. My kids LOVE sports and currently play Softball, Baseball and Basketball. My husband and I are very active with volunteering for the teams and would hope to continue this. Is youth sports popular in the area? If so, are some more so than others? Are there all-star or travel teams?

4. My final question regards the weather. Now i know, we are VERY spoiled living on the California Central Coast and acclimating to NC weather will be tough, but we love a good challenge! How long do you think the kids will take to get used to those humid summers? Is there anything I can do to help the process? Is there certain parts of New Bern we should avoid living in due to flooding?

Any additional info or suggestions you might have for us would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by CucciaClan; 02-06-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:40 PM

34,172 posts, read 83,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CucciaClan View Post
We have family that moved there earlier this year...
Do you know why did THEY chose New Bern?
And what sorts of jobs they had lined up and waiting for them?

Quote:
My searches haven't turned up many manufacturing jobs in New Bern.
I'm worried that there isnt much to offer for machining?
Any additional info or suggestions you might have...
Wherever you might choose to move... have a good solid job lined up in advance.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Yes they did have work lined up prior to moving which of course is what we will be doing as well! Just trying to figure out if a certain area has more industrial work

Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,990,142 times
Have you been here or even to NC?i get the impression you might have a culture shock.

Our job centers are Raleigh and Charlotte the coast is rather tourism based and more urban school experiences don't translate to the more rural schools.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM

No I've never been there, can I ask why you get that impression? And thank you for the response!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
No I've never been there, can I ask why you get that impression? And thank you for the response!
it's not very urban the pace of life is much slower i don't have much insight about where you live but you need to think about amenities you enjoy and try to map them to the community

there a very little good jobs

i wouldnt be optimistic about agressive support for learning disabilities

new bern is 30k, craven county is 100k. How big is your current area?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 AM

My city is 13k with neighboring cities of similar size. We are a smaller beach town, nothing like LA. We drive about 15-20 min to larger cities if we need something our Walmart or Big 5 sporting doesn't have. For fun we go to the beach, go on hikes, fish, kayak or just go to the park! Slow pace is perfect for us, i don't do well in congested or chaotic places lol.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,419,837 times
One of the few employers in New Bern that may hire machinists is BSH Home Appliances:

https://www.bsh-group.com/laender/us/index.php?108109

Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
My city is 13k with neighboring cities of similar size. We are a smaller beach town, nothing like LA. We drive about 15-20 min to larger cities if we need something our Walmart or Big 5 sporting doesn't have. For fun we go to the beach, go on hikes, fish, kayak or just go to the park! Slow pace is perfect for us, i don't do well in congested or chaotic places lol.
ok great i guess i just assumed the cali coast was all fairly well developed

I would take a closer look at the school situation and also realize it's very hot and humid in the summer other than that

but i think good sense would just say some sort of visit is really necessary before a move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina