Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 40,692 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Some of you may have read my post about not finding a job I could enjoy in this area, yet. I've posted a business venture idea that seems neat but for now I'd like your advice about a real career plan.

I was thinking about going to work for Aflac selling supplemental insurance- its pretty cool- I didn't know it but Aflac is not regular insurance that pays who you owe. They actually pay you! Regardless of what your other insurance pays, if you have any kind of accident they send you a check. My friend received 4 stiches and received a check for $300. It's to help you because you may have to miss a hour or so of work to go have it looked at or what not. They have cancer insurance and other plans to.

Would anyone around here be interested in that if someone were to knock on your door? That's the bad part- cold calling- mostly to businesses. It's a great product, though.

What do you all think? Take the job or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM

917 posts, read 2,301,310 times
How much does it cost?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,258,521 times
Nope I wouldn't be interested. I've had it before and was very disappointed. I cancelled my policies promptly.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 20,232 times
SORRY I DON'T RESPOND TO COLD CALLS. ALTHOUGH IT DOES SOUND INTREGING...HOWEVER TO GOOD TO BE ALL TRUE. GOOD LUCK.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 PM

57 posts, read 274,741 times
Most employers offer some type of disability insurance either paid for as part of the benefit package or as an employee purchase option. I have heard that Aflac is expensive in the opinion of others.
Good Luck-

Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 AM

214 posts, read 823,756 times
I would try Olsten Staffing in Wilmington, they are awesome. Good luck. I have heard from others who have worked with Aflac, that it is a very hard way to make a living.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,250,754 times
Sarah,
I worked at a place, about 50 employees, and they arranged to have an Aflac rep talk to us separately in a conference room. Whatever we wanted would be taken out of our paycheck. I liked the lady, seriously considered a few of her offerings, and many of the workers bought the policies. I think the insurance fills in the blanks very well as relates to failing parts of our health care system. If I were you, I'd do some research on how much Aflac has grown over, say, the last ten years. If it's significant as compared to other types of alternative health insurance groups, then it will probably continue to grow.

But if you've never tried to be a salesperson "out there," I can agree with an above poster that said it's tough work, you get turned down a lot just to get those few contracts that will work out. If you're short on cash and need a job quick, and you are also willing to spend some time learning how to do something that INTERESTS you, I would wait tables and simultaneously go to a technical school in the area, and then a year later you could do work that will be fun and will pay well.

Examples of tech school offerings are real estate, ambulance medic, paralegal job, computers... all of which could allow you to lead a fairly independent work life. Pick up a couple tech school catalogs and see if there's some stuff in there you like. And tech schooling doesn't cost very much, classes are held day and night, so you can fit your studies in with a restaurant job.
GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina