Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,492 times

Advertisements

This is understandably a very popular topic so i thought i would add one more. Hopefully it is different enough to warrant its own thread!
I currently live in Raleigh NC and looking to move to the NC or SC coast. I am extremely fortunate and will be able to keep my current job and work remotely. My current focus is on Oak Island, it has the criteria I am looking for which is, some amenities (i like quiet winters at the beach), reasonable housing and the ability to use my bicycle or feet for my transportation to the beach and the island. Saving the car for trips does sound nice. I have looked at some of the other barrier islands on the NC coast as well. My concern is living on a barrier island, much higher insurance rates and maintenance needed on the house due to climate. A perfect solution would be a locale off the islands with easy access to the beach. This leave the question of beach access via a bike and public parking on car days. I am not as concerned with distance as i am with becoming a hood ornament trying to get over a bridge to the island. If i end up in a place where i would need to drive the car I would like free or very cheap public parking readily available.
I would like my landing spot to be between Murrells Inlet SC and Atlantic Beach NC.
Only real requirements are beach access and a few restaurants, coffee shops etc that are close by.
My budget is put to 200k, really want to downsize so 1000sq feet or so is fine.
I realize this is pretty broad area and really appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
I'd suggest Southport. Oak Island ahs lots of free public beach parking, and there are places places to live between S'port and OKI that would be accessible via bike, although not during heavy traffic times. Another beach option is to ride your bike from S'port to the Ft.Fisher ferry, take the ferry over to Ft. Fisher ($2.00) and ride a mile to Ft. Fisher State Park. Its a nice beach, and has bathrooms, showers, etc. The ferry landing is less than 2 miles from downtown S'port.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Thank you for the insight CC1960 regarding the ferry, it never crossed my mind. I figured I would be out of luck during peak season, this is a great option

Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd suggest Southport. Oak Island ahs lots of free public beach parking, and there are places places to live between S'port and OKI that would be accessible via bike, although not during heavy traffic times. Another beach option is to ride your bike from S'port to the Ft.Fisher ferry, take the ferry over to Ft. Fisher ($2.00) and ride a mile to Ft. Fisher State Park. Its a nice beach, and has bathrooms, showers, etc. The ferry landing is less than 2 miles from downtown S'port.
Just to be clear, I would not recommend riding a bike between Southport proper and Oak Island, as you'd have to ride along 211 in order to do that, and I do not think that is safe. When I said "places places to live between S'port and OKI", I mean the developments off Long Beach Road, south of 211. Long Beach Road isn't a great place to ride either, but if its a short distance, during non-peak traffic times, and you exercise caution, you could get to OKI by riding down Long Beach Road and over the bridge.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 AM

183 posts, read 287,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Just to be clear, I would not recommend riding a bike between Southport proper and Oak Island, as you'd have to ride along 211 in order to do that, and I do not think that is safe. When I said "places places to live between S'port and OKI", I mean the developments off Long Beach Road, south of 211. Long Beach Road isn't a great place to ride either, but if its a short distance, during non-peak traffic times, and you exercise caution, you could get to OKI by riding down Long Beach Road and over the bridge.
Agree, there is a ton of traffic on 211 & Long Beach and its not even summer. Also, 211 from River Rd just outside SPT all the way to Midway--like 6 miles or so -- is going to be under construction starting June 2018. Ugh.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
Agree, there is a ton of traffic on 211 & Long Beach and its not even summer. Also, 211 from River Rd just outside SPT all the way to Midway--like 6 miles or so -- is going to be under construction starting June 2018. Ugh.
Yeah, its going to be ugly when the widening of 211 starts next year. Really, really ugly.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
I would not rule out Pawley's Island.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Check out Holden Beach and Carolina Beach, too.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM

I have been looking at Pawleys Island. I agree it is a possibility, far enough from Myrtle to be less touristy but close enough to be convenient when wanted\needed.
I am not at all familiar with Holden beach, have added to my list to investigate!
Thank you both for your input.
Gregg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina