Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times

Advertisements

All connections are wireless upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NC View Post
Maybe I misunderstood. Is the connection to the second floor a cable or is it wireless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 PM

192 posts, read 256,551 times
That narrows it down. Is there an ATMC box of some sort upstairs that the TV is wired to or is the TV wireless with no wired connection?

Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 PM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
Sorry for the delayed response as I have been away.

It looks like you have plenty of speed. In my opinion, being connected to Fiber has nothing to do with your problem.

I just read over the technical specifications of what I think is your router (the only data I could find was your model number with a "g" at the end. You moden does work at 2.5 GHz which does a good job of penetrating through walls.

I am wondering if a device like the one below would help. I have never had to use one, but ;lots of people like them.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi...B00L0YLRUW#Ask

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
just redid Speed Test and results were Download 43.62 Mbps Upload 44.47 Mbps

ATMC guy came out and spent 3 hours and advised us we are one of everyone in Ocean Ridge Plantation with this problem with upstairs having very weak reception. We need fiber optic to be set up in our section of Ocean Ridge, which will not happen, to resolve issue according to him. He suggested we buy a Night Hawk Router as a possible solution but they cost 350.00 and no guarantee it will resolve problem.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:00 PM

TV and computer upstairs are both wireless, router is downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NC View Post
That narrows it down. Is there an ATMC box of some sort upstairs that the TV is wired to or is the TV wireless with no wired connection?

Old 04-02-2017, 02:02 PM

Paul

Believe it or not we have one of these as well at the foot of the stairs leading to upstairs. It has to be on the same floor as the router the ATMC guys said when he installed it.

Crazy...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Sorry for the delayed response as I have been away.

It looks like you have plenty of speed. In my opinion, being connected to Fiber has nothing to do with your problem.

I just read over the technical specifications of what I think is your router (the only data I could find was your model number with a "g" at the end. You moden does work at 2.5 GHz which does a good job of penetrating through walls.

I am wondering if a device like the one below would help. I have never had to use one, but ;lots of people like them.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi...B00L0YLRUW#Ask

Paul

Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 AM

192 posts, read 256,551 times
In Post #9 you said you got 43MBPS download speed. Assuming that was using the upstairs computer, that's certainly sufficient to stream TV.

If you watch a YouTube video on the upstairs computer (in the same room as the TV?), does it work OK or does it frequently stall while buffering? I'm asking this to try to determine if the problem is the WiFi signal or not.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:06 AM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
Have you tried to plug it in upstairs just to see what happens? If it does not work you can always plug it in downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Paul

Believe it or not we have one of these as well at the foot of the stairs leading to upstairs. It has to be on the same floor as the router the ATMC guys said when he installed it.

Crazy...............

Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Put the repeater on the second floor directly above wherever the router is located on the first floor. It just needs a good signal to repeat.

Your problem has nothing to do with the transport medium and fiber would not change a thing. There's too many people using wifi in too small an area and the band is congested. It's akin to trying to speak to a person in a room with a bunch of other people talking. You can't hear each other over the many other voices.

A higher end router like a Nighthawk would go a long way toward solving the problem. I solved it in my own house with a TP-Link Archer C9. The Nighthawk was more than I wanted to spend. You want something that handles 5.8GHz as well as 2.4GHz as 5.8 is a bit less congested.

If you get a higher end router, play around with the antenna orientation too, as it can make a huge difference.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
OK Biscy, so our house is 5000 sq ft with bedroom suites and theater / game / pool room upstairs, with Time Warner Cable ( which I am quite happy with, but now using Roku exclusively for 8 TV's, returned ALL the cable boxes for HUGE, HUGE savings ..... but with the Roku units now necessitating an even stronger WiFi for the streaming signal ), wasn't getting strong enough WiFi upstairs and furthest parts of the house from the router entry point, spotty WiFi, Roku reception was blinking, etc.

Tried a few different "WiFi extenders/boosters" like the Netgear mentioned...... nothing !

Extensive research and conversations with various electronic / theater / Audio / TV installers led me to the "Ubiquiti UniFi AC HD". If you search the reviews for it, it is one of the best / most powerful units out there.

Lists for $350, bought it for $79 on Amazon... installed it ( plugged it in and programmed it ) and now we get full / strong WiFi signal all over the house including the entire upstairs and back yard.... Roku streaming perfectly...... very happy campers.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ac/

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unif...ubiquiti+unifi

https://www.ubnt.com/

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 04-05-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanks Stoney, you da man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
OK Biscy, so our house is 5000 sq ft with bedroom suites and theater / game / pool room upstairs, with Time Warner Cable ( which I am quite happy with, but now using Roku exclusively for 8 TV's, returned ALL the cable boxes for HUGE, HUGE savings ..... but with the Roku units now necessitating an even stronger WiFi for the streaming signal ), wasn't getting strong enough WiFi upstairs and furthest parts of the house from the router entry point, spotty WiFi, Roku reception was blinking, etc.

Tried a few different "WiFi extenders/boosters" like the Netgear mentioned...... nothing !

Extensive research and conversations with various electronic / theater / Audio / TV installers led me to the "Ubiquiti UniFi AC HD". If you search the reviews for it, it is one of the best / most powerful units out there.

Lists for $350, bought it for $79 on Amazon... installed it ( plugged it in and programmed it ) and now we get full / strong WiFi signal all over the house including the entire upstairs and back yard.... Roku streaming perfectly...... very happy campers.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ac/

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unif...ubiquiti+unifi

https://www.ubnt.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina