Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbnc View Post
Tega Cay, NC

Realtor dot com does not list Tega Cay ... what is the closest town pls ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbnc View Post
Tega Cay, NC
Just found out: Tega Cay is in South Carolina, pls correct if wrong.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
Oh don't worry - I did mean it to be open to everywhere! I'll have to take a look at Point Roberts, sounds good!

Although this thread IS posted under Coastal North Carolina - the thread topic is "What's the nearest place to perfect you can live in the U.S."

Mount Olive, NC had low crime when I lived there in the early 90's. Don't think there was even a murder, it was mostly shoplifting. However the school wasn't great and there was nothing to do: no movie theatre, no shopping except for a Belk's, no bowling alley, not even a Wal-Mart at that time. The weather was typical eastern NC weather. I would think Asheville and surrounding areas would be perfect.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Although this thread IS posted under Coastal North Carolina - the thread topic is "What's the nearest place to perfect you can live in the U.S."

Mount Olive, NC had low crime when I lived there in the early 90's. Don't think there was even a murder, it was mostly shoplifting. However the school wasn't great and there was nothing to do: no movie theatre, no shopping except for a Belk's, no bowling alley, not even a Wal-Mart at that time. The weather was typical eastern NC weather. I would think Asheville and surrounding areas would be perfect.

I'm sure you know, Asheville is IN the mountains of WNC. At least a 9 hour drive across the state to the coast of NC. While we're at it, Asheville is getting their share of crime. The rest of WNC small towns are high on the safety scale. Petty crime, drug crime especially. Random theft and family crime is everywhere.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:06 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Neither Mount Olive (thats a joke, I assume) nor Asheville remotely meet the OP's criteria.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Oops, forgot about the "near the ocean" part. Never mind.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM

41 posts, read 60,600 times
castaway365 - It's nice to hear about someone recently moving to Wilmington and loving it! We visited in the spring and have decided to retire in Wilmington; our house is currently on the market here in CT and we can't wait to make the move!!

Old 03-01-2023, 10:24 AM

137 posts, read 149,732 times
I love your question! My husband and I are looking for an area to live (remote work) so we can live anywhere!
Where are we looking and why?
We have two kids so schools are important. We love outdoor activities and the beaches so we need the coast.
Currently our top pick is the Outer Banks in NC!
Good schools, crime looks okay/safe areas, outdoor stuff looks awesome! Our only issue is our budget- currently 500K so not much house in the Outer Banks but we think we will buy a smaller house to be near the outdoor areas we enjoy.
We looked into Florida and saw Santa Rosa Beach, if we moved to Florida I think that was one town I liked.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:28 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
This thread can only get better if someone thinks it's about Wilmington, Delaware....

Old 03-04-2023, 06:25 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abda79 View Post
I was looking at Wilmington NC and thinking what an idillic, pretty place it looked. Then I checked out neighbourhood scout for the crime stats and saw that on a scale of 0-100 (100 being the safest), it had a rating of...5! Which got me thinking, is there ANYWHERE that's as near to perfect in the US that you can get to perfect?

What are people's thoughts? The boxes that I would like checked off would be:

* Crime. Needs to be safe. Very low gun crime, low property crime. No murders or at least hardly any.
* A town that is safe and pretty, surrounded by other safe and pretty towns.
* Good schools.
* Within 30 minutes of a city but not the most major US cities (NYC, Boston, LA...)
* Near a lake, on the coast or at least near mountains.
* Good for families with lots to do for children.

Does such a place exist in the US? I have found somewhere that SEEMS to have all the above but I want to see if anyone else suggests it first.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on their towns or towns they've lived.

Many thanks!
"Perfect", is in the eye of the beholder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina