Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 AM

24 posts, read 27,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I provided data to the contrary in my earlier post.
Not quite sure where that data was cited from. Here is year by year crash data for North Carolina from the Department of Transportation. Rankings are available by county and by city. Wilmington is grouped on page 140 in the 2016 report with cities of 10,000 or more of which it was ranked #3,2,2 and 4 over the last 4 years respectively. Ranking is based on several factors per the document including crashes, crash severity and crash rates based on population.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...ash-Facts.aspx
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAndrew View Post
Not quite sure where that data was cited from. Here is year by year crash data for North Carolina from the Department of Transportation. Rankings are available by county and by city. Wilmington is grouped on page 140 in the 2016 report with cities of 10,000 or more of which it was ranked #3,2,2 and 4 over the last 4 years respectively. Ranking is based on several factors per the document including crashes, crash severity and crash rates based on population.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...ash-Facts.aspx
It came from the NC Division of Motor Vehicles, specifically, page 103 of this report:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...sh%20Facts.pdf

I'll remind you that the poster I responded to referenced "traffic deaths per 1,000 people". Per the linked report, in 2015, NHC had .09 "fatal crash injuries" per 1,000 people, ranking it 92 among NC's 100 counties.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

98 posts, read 128,854 times
Can we please let this thread die. It's obvious the OP was having a bad day. If you don't like something, do something about it. I'm sure the medians going on market st are a reaction to the crash data. Move or stay and talk to your local board to suggest improvements.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,471 times
Angry hampstead family

Hello - After reading your post, I suddenly feel so deflated about the possibilty of moving to Hampstead. I have a friend who lives there, but has lived there for 10 years. Perhaps things were very different when she moved there. However, she still loves it, and raves about it. Linda :-(

Old 02-17-2023, 09:37 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
Thank you for posting this! We are getting our house ready to see in Massachusetts. We have a great small town with farms and orchards but it's really expensive to live here and we love the beaches/warm weather. We have two kids, 8 and 4 years old. We are looking at coastal NC. We need decent-good schools and like small towns (not big roads/Walmarts, etc). We would love an acre of land but realize it is not easy to get the land near the coast.
Looked at Hampstead but the big road (17) and traffic did not look great and I only saw one park.
We are now looking at the Crystal Coast area because the schools there look good as well in some of the towns.
How is the crime? I actually called the police station in a town and they said there is not much crime there but when I look on Google it is high crime in Beaufort. Hard to know unless I am there what the crime really is like.
Again, thank you for the honest feedback and your post.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:00 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
You would not like Hampstead, given your dislike of highways. However, the schools are some of the best on the coast. Hampstead is not really a town but more a series of developments strung along Highway 17.
Crime statistics would be under the Pender County Sheriff. There are also town police in Surf City and other beach towns. Crime is mostly related to thefts by drug addicts and domestic problems. I think you should really plan a week-long visit to experience what you would really like.
BTW, we do not have orchards, but there are many blueberry farms and vineyards interior to the coast. You might enjoy Burgaw (which is a real town) and Maple Hill (a rural crossroads).

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-17-2023 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 10:25 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You would not like Hampstead, given your dislike of highways. However, the schools are some of the best on the coast. Hampstead is not really a town but more a series of developments strung along Highway 17.
Crime statistics would be under the Pender County Sheriff. There are also town police in Surf City and other beach towns. Crime is mostly related to thefts by drug addicts and domestic problems. I think you should really plan a week-long visit to experience what you would really like.
BTW, we do not have orchards, but there are many blueberry farms and vineyards interior to the coast. You might enjoy Burgaw (which is a real town) and Maple Hill (a rural crossroads).
Thanks goldenage1- I appreciate all of your insights into the area! I looked at Burgaw but if I remember correctly the schools just did not look good. Please let me know if I have it wrong about the schools there.
I will look into Maple Hill but I do have to consider the schools with our two kids. Thanks again- I appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:43 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I use Greatschools ratings, and they are around average for Burgaw, except for the low-income students. (There is a more detailed state rating available.)
There are two properties in Hampstead with over 1 acre currently listed. You might like them, and they are in the better Topsail school district. Hampstead offers proximity to good doctors, an emergency room, good shopping, some museums and a very good airport. You have to overlook a congested highway.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-17-2023 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 04:42 PM

249 posts, read 514,766 times
This is a 6 year old post. I'm sure a lot has changed in Hampstead since then.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:25 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
This is a 6 year old post. I'm sure a lot has changed in Hampstead since then.
More traffic. more developments. They have started on the bypass but it won't be fully complete for 6 more years.

Surf City is growing into a desirable Town in the meantime. Some development in Holly Ridge is now happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina