Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 38,532 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My hubby and I are in our 50's. We're thinking of moving to the Swansboro, Leland, or Ogden area. We'd like to be no more than 30 minutes by car to the water as hubby likes to fish and crab. Want a safe area, no developments. Like some space. Small town feel, friendly people, and hubby does maintenance in hospitals. Any idea's? how is Swansboro, Ogden, and Leland. We're looking to spend around 160,000 for a house. We currently live in New Jersey, but everything is so high here, their forcing everyone to get out. Any towns with a little Main Street or Broadway?

Thanks all

Last edited by chepet007; 03-16-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I don't know about swansboro but I would automatically rule out ogden and leland. no small town feel there. they are both busy suburbs of wilmington. also the price ranges on the coast have gone up a lot.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Thaks Jmarquise, can't wait to leave New Jersey!

Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
We left So. NJ 5 years ago. The only thing we miss are the kids and pizza. We live in Winterville, but it is 1 1/2 hrs. from the beach. Look into New Bern. The area is beautiful and building up quickly.
Don't forget one thing. When you list your home in NJ, don't say that you are leaving the State. The year after we left, your Governor put in the "exit" tax to anyone relocating to another State based on the sale price of your home and personal property and % vary. Good luck leaving "the Soprano State". kelsie

Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepet007 View Post
Hi all!
My hubby and I are in our 50's. We're thinking of moving to the Swansboro, Leland, or Ogden area. We'd like to be no more than 30 minutes by car to the water as hubby likes to fish and crab. Want a safe area, no developments. Like some space. Small town feel, friendly people, and hubby does maintenance in hospitals. Any idea's? how is Swansboro, Ogden, and Leland. We're looking to spend around 160,000 for a house. We currently live in New Jersey, but everything is so high here, their forcing everyone to get out. Any towns with a little Main Street or Broadway?

Thanks all
Swansboro is a small town of about 3000 people, it located on the confluence of the White Oak River and ICW...Private little islands abound out in the ICW, so if you like boating and fishing, Swansboro has it all...

There are a lot of homes available there that are NOT in subdivisions...

There is a lot of shopping, restaurants, etc...in the area

There are three major hospitals, and two military hospitals in the area...

Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile The Swansboro area is a lot of fun

We live about ten minutes from Swansboro and really enjoy the area. There are always some great events in the area.

The Swansboro Oyster Roast and the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day Festival were this past weekend.

The crowds were impressive, and everyone that I saw was having a great time.

I certainly enjoyed all the steamed oysters.

Here is a link to my Swansboro Travel Guide.

This is a picture taken at sunset today looking towards Cedar Point and Swansboro from Emerald Woods Park on Emerald Isle

The ocean was really calm today and this was taken up the beach in Salter Path from the Roosevelt Natural Area Park.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 AM

26 posts, read 227,714 times
Default Small Town

Check out Southport. It's a very nice small fishing village with great boat ramps, parks, restaurants, shops, beautiful older homes, beaches near by and a downtown main street.

http://C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\My Pictures\Lelia\Southport Ithaca\southportwaterfrontpark.jpg (broken link)

http://C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\My Pictures\Lelia\Southport Ithaca\oldyachtbasin2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We left So. NJ 5 years ago. The only thing we miss are the kids and pizza. We live in Winterville, but it is 1 1/2 hrs. from the beach. Look into New Bern. The area is beautiful and building up quickly.
Don't forget one thing. When you list your home in NJ, don't say that you are leaving the State. The year after we left, your Governor put in the "exit" tax to anyone relocating to another State based on the sale price of your home and personal property and % vary. Good luck leaving "the Soprano State". kelsie
Kelsie,

Yes, I hear the pizza isn't up to par because of the water! But thanks for the tip about not telling anyone we're moving to another state. I never knew they did that.
chepet007

Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks Steve,
The more I hear about Swansboro, the more I'm leaning towards it!
chepet007

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks Disobotta,
It looks beautiful. We love to fish and crab. Looks like heaven to me!
Chepet007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina