Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 AM

10 posts, read 76,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Thanks Melzilla and Kareybear for some great information. I'll remember your suggestions and advice when we get down there in June. I thought about taking our oldest kids canoeing around the island.....I read there was a canoe trail on Davis Creek. Is there a place nearby that we can rent canoes or kayaks? I don't plan on doing any sea kayaking or even putting in at the Intracoastal Waterway..just some of the smaller streams around the island. Regarding Bald Head, do you all think it's a good place for a daytrip? I would like to see the lighthouse, but I'm not what else we would do there, except for bicycling around the island. I'm coming up with some ideas or small trips we can take to give us a break from the beach. A few that come to mind are the Aquarium, the USS North Carolina, childrens museum in Wilmington, the parks around Oak Island/Southport. I'm sure there a few others, but I don't want to list a book here. Thanks for the tips on restaurants as well...Captain Stanleys sounds good as does the seafood place over in Southport (Provisions, I think). Can you all think of an out of the way seafood place that is not overrun with tourists (like ourselves..lol) and is not particularly well known? It does not have to be in the Southport area, but within 30-40 min I guess. Again, thanks for the help, you all have been great, and I appreciate the responses.
There's a kayak/bike place around 53rd street somewhere...
I don't really like Captain Staney's that much, honestly...
Provisions isn't overrun, and it's really good.
Bella Cucina IS really good, but so is Famous Subs and Pizza.
Pizza Shack has a distinctive taste, kind of like P&M in PA.
You might want to try a small one before you buy a big one.

If you ever need a tourguide or babysitter,
feel free to message me and I can hook you up. =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 76,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Don't go to Azzie for pizza it terrible food and pricey. I am a pizza lover. Pizza Shack is ok for the money. Bella Cucina is by far the best pizza to have in town it in Southport off the 211 hwy. Bella does have an expensive restaraunt next door but the pizza place is right next to it and you either pick the pizza up or eat there it is to die for.
Diary Queens is also a good place if you want different things for ice cream.
The sub shop on Oak Island makes really good sandwiches. I love the mexican restaraunt San Felipe on the Oak Island and in Southport-Walmart center.
Yeah, but you can get Dairy Queen ANYWHERE!
Try the local fare. =D

San Felipe is in Southport by taco bell; you're thinking of Plaza Garabaldi.
They're kind of pricey, and San Felipe is better.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 32,807 times
Can anyone tell me if an Oak Island yr round house/cottage would be a nice place to retire to? I kayak and read and walk and would like to spend my days on the beach. Thanks GP

Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen Olson View Post
Can anyone tell me if an Oak Island yr round house/cottage would be a nice place to retire to? I kayak and read and walk and would like to spend my days on the beach. Thanks GP
We just returned from Oak Island, and I absolutely recommend at the very least you take a vacation there. The island is very laid back and has a residential feel to it.....there's only a few "beach" related businesses. The rest are what you would typically find in a small town. We noticed a bunch of homes for sale along Oak Island Drive, which is a block or two from the beach.
The Intercoastal Waterway is on the back side of the island. There are also numerous waterways around the Davis Canal area, which is between the ocean and the ICW. There is a kayak/canoe trail that goes in and around Davis Canal. We were way too busy with the kids to even think about renting a kayak, but I would love to explore the salt marshes and canals around there next time. Another thing about Oak Island that we liked was the wildlife. Unlike some crowded beach towns, oak Island apparently has a great habitat for wildlife. From our home, which was backed up to a marsh, we seen several deer, gray fox and birds (osprey, i think). All in all..a great place to visit and retire to. I've vacationed at Topsail, Wrightsville and Carolina Beaches, but Oak Island is now my favorite North Carolina beach.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM

8 posts, read 24,924 times
Hello! You are quite knowledgeable about Oak island. I was interested in knowing if Oak island is in need of child care. I run a small in home preschool in a area where it is desperatly needed, but was interested in Oak island. Too, how are the elementary schools, in looking for houses are there any areas to avoid, is the cost of living high? I konw it is a lot of questions- thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 24,924 times
Default oak island/preschool/safety/neighborhood

Hello! I am very interested in Oak Island... I currently run a high quality preschool in the lower portion of my home and would plan to do the same in Oak Island. Is this place in need of in home high quality preschools? I also have two children that will be in elementary schools- how are they there? Overall, is Oak island safe, family freindly? I checked out some of the houses for sale- found some amazing deals- are these areas to avoid or are they just good deals. We are on an amazingly tight budget ( pooor lol)! Too, Oak island seems like a small community- we live in an area that is quite small and see 10 people we know on the way to Food lion- is Oak island similar? Any info would be gratefully appriciated!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,262 times
Pamela E Moran, dad Erwin, mom Dorothy. Im Doug Taylor fm Rocky Mount NC,,, an old friend of Pam's,
please ask her to email me funinvabch@hotmail.com. Thanks to anyone for the help!!!!! Doug
fun in va bch on hot mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina