Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet-T View Post
I'm so glad to hear good news. I've visited several times and have found a cute neighborhood that seems to be growing. It looks like a nice quiet place for children and the people I've met seem relatively friendly.

So far, I'm seriously considering this town as the top of my list for relocation. There seems to be plenty of room for growth so maybe the younger crowd will do more to put this little town on the map. (not so much activity that it's no longer a small town though)
It has been several months since you made your last post... did you ever make the move to Ahoskie? If so, what are your feelings about the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 01:29 PM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
I have a friend who move between edinton and ohoskie, he hate it says if your not into the church they do not want anything to do with you. I hear its very hard to fit in and be accepted. As far as Elizebeth city, stay away.... very crime ridden. When we were looking to move down we went to a realtor in Elizebeth City and the first thing he said was about you damn yankees all coming down here!!!!!! We just turned around and left the area and now we live about 35 min east of it on the coast and what a difference. check out currituck county its a nice place. Skip over Camden as well. Well thats my 2 cents. lol good luck and if you have a question about currituck county pm me and maybe i can help. PS ... I LIVE ON THE MAINLAND OF CURRITUCK MUCH SAFER NO SALT DAMAGE TO CAR OR HOUSE AND LUCKLY SO FAR NO STORM DAMAGE.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM

18 posts, read 43,281 times
hello, hope you have luck, well i have lived in out of ahoskie most of my life, born and raised here, trust i have seen great growth and effort for change, there has been great growth in stores, restaurants, school effort for bettering our kids performance, overall people are easy to get along with, as for crime, i would say low, but no different than most places, great country atmosphere, i love it here but thats me, good luck though

Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 29,689 times
Red face I want to move here too!!

My name is Kristen, I am separated , 37 years old. I currently live in Charlotte, NC.

I have recently gone through a family tragedy that has changed my life. My brother was accused of molesting his daughter. Because he had done the same thing to me as a child I followed my heart and testified against him in court. Because of this I was soon disowned by my family. Even though I was protecting my niece I was still threatened and treated terribly by my family.

As a result of all of this I went through a serious spell of anxiety, depression and insomnia. I was fired from my job because of all that was going on and remained unemployed for almost a year.

One day I decided to get up and get my life back together. I started working part time as a waitress then part time at a grocery store and then went on to working full time. Soon, I was promoted to a Lead position in my department (seafood). I was flying high again for the first time. I was sleeping again, I wasn't depressed, I was feeling strong and doing great. Well, so I thought I was. Until I was late on a mortgage payment due to an oversight. It ended up one month late and went on my credit report. My father is a co-signer on my house so it also went on his credit. Now he is livid and he is trying to take my house away from me. This is the same man who threatened me and thinks I am a bad person for reporting my brother. I have lived in my house for almost nine years and have made this little 1000 sq. ft. house my home. I have two dogs with me and this is our home. Now my father is going to the commissioner and he is going to force sale my house and I will have no place to live. I tried to offer to re-finance the house but he said that he will not sign off on the title. I have to pay him 22, 000 to buy him out or get out. I told him that he could have the house because I just want him to leave me alone and I want to be free of his choke hold and I am prepared to give up what I have to do so.

Now I decided that I want to move to a new, small, town and start a new beginning. This town seems like a place that I might start a new. A place that I can afford to live and get back on my feet. A place where I can make new friends. A place where I can get away from my family here in Charlotte and create a new positive.

Now I just have to figure out how to find a place to live. I don't have good credit because I was out of work for so long and I robbed Peter to pay Paul (paul being the mortg). I need to find a small home for me and my two Labrador's.

Thank you,

Kristen

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-19-2007 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: removed data as per poster's request

Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 AM

22 posts, read 93,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundzlikepoetry View Post
It has been several months since you made your last post... did you ever make the move to Ahoskie? If so, what are your feelings about the place?
Haven't moved yet. I've gone there several times to look at houses, so far I love the area (very quiet, friendly people and very sloooow). I'm trying to finance my first property purchase so it's a little hard because I'm single (one income). But with the property prices dropping and the market not really moving, it may work in my favor. They have really nice homes (in some parts of town) with pricing that is actually affordable. I can commute to my job for a few months since it's about an hour and 20 min from VA, 45min or so from Suffolk. It should be a pleasant transition. I'll update as soon as the move is complete....the realtor is awesome, she's found all kinds of homes that I wouldn't have been able to find on my own at all. The place is very spread out so you can choose to live far away from people or right on top of your neighbor. Kind of like a "whatever you're looking for" town. Unless you want excitement...There's only one Mcdonalds if that gives you any clue as to how much there is to do there.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 AM

OMG this sounds terrible! I hope things work out for you. Family battles are always the worst kind. One reason I'm going to Ahoskie is to put distance between myself and my family. It's not that I don't love or appreciate them, but they are smothering me and the children to death! I can't take a day off without someone showing up at the house or needing a favor or a ride or money or just whatever! I had to tell my co-workers to lie to my mom and tell her I just wasn't at my desk so I could have an afternoon with my son (soo sad). Of course having a private life is unheard of when you live so close to controlling parents so that's another incentive.

I do hope you find somewhere nice. From what I've seen there are some parts of town where renting is even an option (depending on the neighborhood). I've visited the online newspaper called the daily advance and checked out their listings. There are occasional "rent to own" listings if that's something that might help you and the dogs get started again. At least you wouldn't have to qualify for a loan up front. I don't know about jobs though. Unless you're starting a business or doing something that brings in side money, Ahoskie is probably not the best place to try and get a job. With only a tiny town and a handful of successful businesses, I'm guessing jobs probably don't open often. I'm planning on working in Suffolk the first year or so, but eventually being completely self employed. Maybe you can get a business loan instead of a home loan and find a property listed as residential/commercial and find a way to start generating money. (just a thought). Wish you well.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 AM

My above post was in response to Kris10nc

Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
I have a friend who move between edinton and ohoskie, he hate it says if your not into the church they do not want anything to do with you. I hear its very hard to fit in and be accepted. As far as Elizebeth city, stay away.... very crime ridden. When we were looking to move down we went to a realtor in Elizebeth City and the first thing he said was about you damn yankees all coming down here!!!!!! We just turned around and left the area and now we live about 35 min east of it on the coast and what a difference. check out currituck county its a nice place. Skip over Camden as well. Well thats my 2 cents. lol good luck and if you have a question about currituck county pm me and maybe i can help. PS ... I LIVE ON THE MAINLAND OF CURRITUCK MUCH SAFER NO SALT DAMAGE TO CAR OR HOUSE AND LUCKLY SO FAR NO STORM DAMAGE.
Have you gone through a hurricane season there yet? That's my biggest fear of coastal properties. Everytime theres a bad weather report in VA they list Currituck as a place that's taking heavy damage. Do they have to close the schools often?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
We have lived here for almost 11 years and only had a branch on a tree broken. In all these years it seems the storms have come on land 1 1/2 hours soth of us in hatteras and then have gone inland. The outer banks beaches around here have seen alot of damage from the water coming up and wiping the beach houses out. But as far as the mainland in currituck not bad at all, unless your on the water then water damage. OHH NO NOW THAT I SAID THIS , WE PROB WILL GET BLASTED!!!! LOL. As far as schools they have closed them on the day hurricane is set to hit just as a precaution. don't ever recall them being closed for more than the one day.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,848 times
Red face Relocating to Ahoskie

I put a contract on a home in Ahoskie, NC. I really like the quietness, but after reading the comments I was hestitant about moving there, one person stated that if you are not in the church you can forget it,well I am in the church I feel like I would really be an access to the community by being in the church and bringing forth the Lords word . If there are any words of encourgagement please reply (although I don't need them )but , just in case there is someone else out there thinking about a nice quite community like Ahoskie, NC. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina