Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 AM

41 posts, read 60,541 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both retired and are putting our house on the market in February (we live in CT now). We plan on renting first so we can figure out what area of Wilmington we like the best before we buy a house. When we do buy, we're thinking that we'd like to be in a development (not strictly for 55+) that has some amenities (maybe a pool, walking trails). We don't want a development where the houses are cookie-cutter and close together. We'd like some privacy and a yard where the houses aren't on top of each other with a yard that has trees, etc. for privacy. Can anyone recommend development areas?

Another option (instead of a development) is to maybe live downtown so we can be in walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. What areas would be good for this and what areas should we stay away from?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 04:41 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Have you done a search and read through the many Wilmington posts?

Old 12-23-2017, 06:35 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Look into The Village at Motts Landing for a nice development with amenities. They advertise "retirement ready" homes starting at $360K.

However, if you really want to avoid cookie-cutter homes, look at the older neighborhoods around Oleander Drive.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
I think is what realtors are for.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrjo View Post
Another option (instead of a development) is to maybe live downtown so we can be in walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. What areas would be good for this and what areas should we stay away from?
You could also look at Mayfaire, which is kind of a "neo-downtown". Are you more interested in a condo or a house, and what is the price range?

As mentioned there have been numerous discussions already. You could search on "retirement Wilmington".

Old 12-26-2017, 07:41 AM

BC1960 - we will be contacting a realtor once we get down there, but was hoping to get some good feedback from people on the forum. We're looking for a house in the $250,000-$275,000 price range. Also I've been going through the discussions on the forum, but a lot of them are pretty old, but I'll continue to weed through them.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
We're looking for a house in the $250,000-$275,000 price range.
Then you will be in the price range of the older neighborhoods like Pine Valley or around Oleander Drive. I would also suggest researching the many public walking trails in Hugh McRae Park and the biking trails. I also like the gated community called Evergreen Park in 28409, as I recently saw a single story house on Daphine Drive in your price range. The community supposedly has a pool and tennis.

You would be in a good neighborhood to use the medical facilities around the 17th Street corridor.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-26-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 05:43 AM

I had actually saw the house on Daphine Drive which looks very nice as well as being in a nice neighborhood.

Can anyone comment on Monkey Junction and explain to me what it is? Is this a specific neighborhood with restaurants and shops? Where is it and how are the houses in this area?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I had actually saw the house on Daphine Drive which looks very nice as well as being in a nice neighborhood.

Can anyone comment on Monkey Junction and explain to me what it is? Is this a specific neighborhood with restaurants and shops? Where is it and how are the houses in this area?
The Daphine Drive house may have a higher HOA payment. I notice it has been on the market for a while.

Monkey Junction is offically known as Myrtle Grove. It is a moderate income area where you could drive to restaurants and stores along Carolina Beach Road. It is a decent place to live, and some communities have water access. It probably attracts younger families.

The Monkey Junction name is a nick-name because a gas station used to keep a small zoo as a tourist attraction.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:59 AM

You may also want to investigate Marina Village at RiverLights. It was designed to have shops and restaurants in walking distance, as well as parks and trails. https://www.riverlightsliving.com/

The hitch for you would be that the builders are developing with standard "cookie-cutter" homes. The lots are small in order to allow for more public space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina