Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times

Advertisements

Federal Point Shopping Center is a retail center located on North Lake Park Boulevard in the Town of Carolina Beach in New Hanover County, North Carolina. It was previously anchored by a supermarket, Food Lion, and four-screen Carmike Cinemas. (Food Lion's Federal Point Shopping Center store was replaced by Food Lion #2553, Snow's Cut Crossing, 1401 Lake Park Boulevard North, Carolina Beach, North Carolina 28428-3936.)

The Town of Carolina Beach's Technical Review Committee is considering submitted plans for the redevelopment of Federal Point Shopping Center. Plans include a grocery store and three retail spaces.

Further reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Brings new meaning to the term "supermarket wars".

Harris Teeter is essentially going to block Publix coming to Federal Point...and Federal Point is blocking Harris Teeter...because I guess to simply put it, DOT has required road improvements because they would share the same entrance.

I'm betting Food Lion is loving this delay.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Harris Teeter has a problem perpetually delaying announced stores. Some delays have gone to the extent of stores cancelled. The possibility of Publix coming should awaken Harris Teeter to take action.

Food Lion #2553 could also look forward to being obliterated and closing if Harris Teeter and Publix are realized and in operation.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter has a problem perpetually delaying announced stores. Some delays have gone to the extent of stores cancelled. The possibility of Publix coming should awaken Harris Teeter to take action.

Food Lion #2553 could also look forward to being obliterated and closing if Harris Teeter and Publix are realized and in operation.
I honestly think there is room for 3 grocery stores for Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. It is a growing market. Food Lion has the best location because it is before the Dow Rd intersection, which functions as the bypass...and is very visible from the Bridge when coming onto the Island. It is also next to Wake n Bake, which has quickly become a destination spot.

Food Lion could retract though because it does have a store at Veterans Park, which is the next closest store to CB.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

37 posts, read 56,355 times
Local CB crowd has a Food Lion loyalty imo, and Teeter would have to have one of their "ready n hot style" sections for it to be relevant. If Teeter and Publix were smart, they would invest heavily in customer residential surveying before anything. Good topic, it comes up alot in our circle, the old Fed Point plaza future that is.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I honestly think there is room for three grocery stores for Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. It is a growing market. Food Lion has the best location because it is before the Dow Road intersection, which functions as the bypass...and is very visible from the Bridge when coming onto the Island. It is also next to Wake n Bake, which has quickly become a destination spot.

Food Lion could retract though because it does have a store at Veterans Park, which is the next closest store to Carolina Beach.
There could be room for three grocery stores if they are the right participants. Food Lion has struggled against and lost battles to Harris Teeter and Publix in some trade areas and markets.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwandering View Post
Local Carolina Beach crowd has a Food Lion loyalty in my opinion, and Harris Teeter would have to have one of their "ready and hot style" sections for it to be relevant. If Harris Teeter and Publix were smart, they would invest heavily in customer residential surveying before anything. Good topic, it comes up a lot in our circle, the old Federal Point plaza future that is.
If Food Lion were smart, it would utilize ideas from its customer surveys in order to become easy, fresh, and affordable. I have taken its surveys years ago. The surveys ended quickly if extra low prices, necessities of food and pharmacy, improved customer service, and improved quality and freshness of products were suggested.

Food Lion is yet to catch up with the competition. Harris Teeter and Publix's stores are easier, fresher, and more affordable.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Food Lion were smart, it would utilize ideas from its customer surveys in order to become easy, fresh, and affordable. I have taken its surveys years ago. The surveys ended quickly if extra low prices, necessities of food and pharmacy, improved customer service, and improved quality and freshness of products were suggested.

Food Lion is yet to catch up with the competition. Harris Teeter and Publix's stores are easier, fresher, and more affordable.
While I don't disagree that Food Lion seemingly enjoys many outdated aspects of their stores, I will say Food Lion has better prices than Teeter all over town. CB doesn't "need" 2 grocery stores, although the hot deli, salad bar, sushi/sandwiches and produce depts would be awesome that Teeter has; I personally can't see how anything more expensive than Island priced Food Lion offerings will make it during the off season. The labor dollars to run a Teeter would be unattainable under current populace.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM

If Food Lion has turned a corner in having better prices, more power to it. It still has ways to go to be on par with Harris Teeter, Publix, and Walmart. Food Lion struggles with lower sales per square foot. Harris Teeter and Publix have higher sales per square foot.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 AM

Stats don't matter to me on sakes/sq foot when I'm shopping for Brown rice. saving a dollar does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina