Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been doing some online searches for a condo on Realtor dot com for somewhere along the coast within 1/2 hr. drive to a fairly quiet nice clean ocean beach. What I am seeing are complexes that are seasonal investment units; definitely not what I want. I know it is profitable for the owners to rent out, let the prices appreciate, and sell them when the price is right. I also don't want to be living with the party crowd boozing it up on the lanais and coming in and out at all hours of the night. I have no idea or ever had experience with any Realtors along the coast; feel free to DM me if you can recommend an agent with a good background and longevity in the profession.

Another question about coastal or a bit inland, is this: bugs and other pests, gators, creepy crawlies, roaches and so forth. ?? A former neighbor was part owner of a real estate office in Sunset Beach, but relocated about 5 years ago to FL -- she was always touting Sunset Beach, but I found it full of investment properties as mentioned earlier, and lost interest. Is the humidity similar to FL ? and what are the winter months like at the coast? I know this will require a few trips over to the coast to look around, so I'd like to get some honest opinions about full time living on the coast and be able to stay in the state.

(Also looking in SW FL which I am very familiar with and never had insect or gator issues. ) Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:26 AM

324 posts, read 388,017 times
We live at Village Park, a condo complex in Sunset Beach (on the mainland, not the island). We're quite happy with it as our vacation getaway. It's very quiet, other than the weekly summer concerts, which are usually very good. The beach is about a 5 minute drive.

Prices are in the $185,000 area, but that was awhile ago this year.

Bugs and pests are really not a big problem, but our unit is on the third floor(and we do have elevators).
The beach is clean and quiet, but crowded in the summer.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:07 AM

324 posts, read 388,017 times
WRT "bugs and other pests, gators, creepy crawlies, roaches and so forth"

There was a gator on SSB some years ago, but I haven't heard of any since then. We did have a coyote sighting about 3 years ago, but none since then. Roaches are in the area as well but never have spotted any in our unit (which is on the 3rd floor).

Looked online and saw a recent listing at $173,000 in our complex.

Haven't had any professional experience with him, but Fred Thorne is a realtor with an office across from our condo. Seems like a very nice guy and he is quite active in the community.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
If you want to avoid living among lots of rental units, you'll need to be off the beach itself. I'd suggest looking in Wilmington. Two nice developments are McCumber Terrace and Eastwood Village.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
A half hour drive to the beach is not a problem; but I don't want to be in the boonies either. A 'quiet' area near Wilmington or other towns might work. Thanks

Old 07-01-2018, 02:56 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A half hour drive to the beach is not a problem; but I don't want to be in the boonies either. A 'quiet' area near Wilmington or other towns might work. Thanks
Look into Leland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina