Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 469 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am active duty Coast Guard and am currently stationed in Elizabeth City NC, but am only here for a couple of months and only God knows where I'll get sent after this. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good little-known hidden outdoors gems like private/secluded swimming holes, cool places to explore, hiking/wilderness trails etc that are nearby or within a couple hours of E-City. I'm willing to travel a ways including up into Virginia if need be. I'm originally from southern PA where hiking in the mountains and the outdoors are a way of life, and a lot of the best places and trails that I knew of you couldn't locate by searching on Google and were known by us locals. Additionally, I might chance a trip to the western mountainous region of the state some weekend and wondered if anyone knew of or could recommend similar areas and activities in that region?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to spending more time posting here as I will be needing a lot of information about the next place I am going to get stationed within the next few weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,951 times
Two items for you. Just north on US 17 there is the Dismal Swamp Canal trail. I have spent right many trips up and down 17 and I see people walking, riding bicycles, and jogging.

If you are considering going to mountains, you MUST ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. It’s a pretty long haul, but it’s one of the coolest things there is. Take a van to top of mountain and then ride down an old railway grade. Lots of bridges over a beautiful creek and Christmas Tree farms. You will not regret it.
Welcome to the Virginia Creeper Trail - a National Rail-to-Recreation Trail

Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 AM

324 posts, read 389,518 times
I love just walking on the beach and walked all the way from the VA line to Hatteras and most of the way to Ocracoke Island over several months. Just south of the Bonner Bridge there is a marshy area east of Rt12 that has some nice trail as well - bring your bug spray in warm weather!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,397,216 times
Western NC is a hiker's paradise. Too many trails to begin to name.

Eastern NC? Ehhh...not as much. I guess you have explored the North River Dedicated Game Lands and the Great Dismal since those are both right near E-city? You might like to check out the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. Might see some bears or Red Wolves. I'm not sure how many big trails there are there though: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Alligator_River/

There's the Neusiok trail down near Havelock. Neusiok Trail Home Page https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Carolina.html

Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM

120 posts, read 229,981 times
I really like hiking Goose Creek State Park near Little Washington, NC. And then afterwords, going to the Washington waterfront for food/beer.

I've hiked Medoc Mountain in that area but it was just ok.. If it wasn't called a "mountain" then I would have enjoyed it more.. it just didnt' have much elevation.

There are a lot of really cool little parks/walking trails in the Triangle area too.. Like Umstead park... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina