Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM

401 posts, read 530,206 times

Advertisements

Direct hit on Wrightsville - landfall at 7:15am. Crazy. Would love to hear from anyone who spent the last 24 hours anywhere nearby. Landfall? Mayfaire? Military Cutoff? Eastwood Rd? I know lots of trees will be down everywhere and of course have been watching the Weather Channel downtown but still curious about the actual town and how things went/are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
oh boy we had plans to go to southport in November with other family members cousins and an aunt and uncle and now I don't think we are going to be able to go because of hurricane Florence and I hope it does not take out the marina and the eaterys along the shore line . One of them is our favorite place to go . can someone tell me what it is like in southport ? im praying it wont be too bad but it is probably the opposite and bald head island as well another favorite place . Well if not this November then next November .

Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
I saw on the news that people are having to be rescued from New Bern which falls in a county that has been under mandatory evacuation orders since Tuesday afternoon.

Why don't people heed these warnings?

I really feel for the rescuers that have to venture into these areas.

Be safe everyone.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 AM

15,148 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Sadly, some people have nowhere to go, are elderly, have pets and nowhere to take them.......

Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM

401 posts, read 530,206 times
Most recent reports I can find indicate max wind gusts at Wrightsville Beach of 105mph. I can't even imagine that. Standing on Crystal Pier when it is a normal windy day - maybe 30mph - you feel like you are going to blow away. Video starting to come in from way further north up in the New Bern and all areas just inland of Pamlico Sound look devastating.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 AM

732 posts, read 885,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Sadly, some people have nowhere to go, are elderly, have pets and nowhere to take them.......
Don't forget the selfish people who thinks the storm is a joke. Probably laughed when it became category 1. Now they're stuck on their roof.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive been thru enough of these things being 80 miles inland and on high ground. Cant imagine what people are thinking not evacuating when told to. There is a point of no return, when it gets so bad that your windows blow in, theres no one to call. You're on your own.

Be sure to write your name on your arm with a magic marker so they can identify the body.
I was wondering about these people who choose to stay after being advised to evacuate after hearing news reports of hundreds of people needing emergency rescue, now because they chose not to evacuate emergency workers have to risk their lives to save these people all on the tax payer dollar,would it be insensitive to now give these people needing rescue a bill for the cost of their rescue?

Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,564,646 times
I'm hearing Atlantic Beach has some pretty bad damage. Roof gone on several retail stores (Pacific, marina, etc.). Inlaws have a house in Cape Carteret that fronts the ICWW. Not sure how it's doing either....

Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM

599 posts, read 693,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was wondering about these people who choose to stay after being advised to evacuate after hearing news reports of hundreds of people needing emergency rescue, now because they chose not to evacuate emergency workers have to risk their lives to save these people all on the tax payer dollar,would it be insensitive to now give these people needing rescue a bill for the cost of their rescue?
Hahaha, they should get a huge bill
I thought the warnings were mandatory, rescuers shouldn't have to die to save selfish people, it isn't right.
And I don't believe these people had nowhere to go, that's hogwash. Wheelchair accessible vans were available, funding for hotels or shelter was available, 4 deaths, and reported amputation could have been possibly avoidable.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh boy we had plans to go to southport in November with other family members cousins and an aunt and uncle and now I don't think we are going to be able to go because of hurricane Florence and I hope it does not take out the marina and the eaterys along the shore line . One of them is our favorite place to go . can someone tell me what it is like in southport ? im praying it wont be too bad but it is probably the opposite and bald head island as well another favorite place . Well if not this November then next November .
The storm isn't over, so no meaningful report can be given now. Based on what I have seen so far, I think everything will be fine by November, with the possible exception of Fishy Fishy and Yacht Basin eatery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina