Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM

401 posts, read 529,798 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear from people on or near WB about how things are progressing as the storm approaches. Looked like any other generic summer morning out there today with small waves despite the news reports to the contrary. Was hoping the track would shift further north so that WB wouldn't get the worst of it or at least that WB would get the winds pushing water out instead of inland/onshore. Figure it is just a matter of time before mandatory evacuations are ordered and they keep anyone from crossing the drawbridge out to Wrightsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,325,472 times
Latest on WVEC as of 1:02p: A state of emergency has been issued and mandatory evacuations have been ordered for several counties in North Carolina's Outer Banks, ahead of the major Hurricane Florence.In Currituck County, an evacuation order was issued for vacationers and guests in Corolla and Carova, beginning at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Any one thinking of disobeying the orders to evacuate and intend to stay put and ride out the storm? if so what are your thoughts for taking this course of action?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
Seems like those "F" hurricanes are the worst in NC: Fran, Floyd, now Florence.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,393,118 times
Just looking at the weather channel, they are calling for a 15-20 Ft. storm surge, 18-30" of rain possible! Please be safe, and evacuate if told!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 AM

222 posts, read 219,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any one thinking of disobeying the orders to evacuate and intend to stay put and ride out the storm? if so what are your thoughts for taking this course of action?
Have you been through a major hurricane in an evacuation zone? You're on your own if you stay. Don't expect any help when the storm is going on. Folks are often counseled to write their name and social security number and DOB on their arms just in case.

After the storm is chaos. I have been through a category 5 and it is utter and sheer chaos.

Leave if in a mandatory evacuation zone. Don't put first responders or yourself in danger.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,562,913 times
Last place on earth you want to be is Wrightsville Beach, NC when this thing hits. And if it hits at greater than a marginal 3, the amount of destruction would be the likes not seen there in decades (Fran was the last 3 to hit it). What you can expect is for the entire island to be covered in sand from one side to the next. And I don't mean a little sand, but the likes of which a series 4x4 would be needed, and unless if you have the ability to get that 4x4 about 20 feet in the air safely, it will certainly be a goner too. Seriously, do not be on that island this time. This isn't like a 1 or even a 2 we're talking about, which Wrightsville has taken on the chin many times without too much damage. This is looking much worse, and likely not a fast-pass either. Could literally whip that island for many many many hours with 130+ winds.

Assuming no house collapse (which, at a 3+, all bets are off), the debris will be no joke. DO NOT get on the water with a motor boat for several days after this storm passes. Not just because of the debris, but in particular - the propane tanks that will ultimately be swept into the ICW. Not talking just the heating tanks, but the grill tanks. That was a big problem after Fran, Floyd and all of the others. Hit one of those with your prop, and it's likely game over..

I have photos from Fran's destruction all along Airlie Road. You know that beautiful mansion on the sweeping corner of Airlie just down from Docksides? I have photos of friggin' 50ft boats sitting well up and in it's front yard after Fran.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 AM

376 posts, read 500,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think its stupid, if you are genuinely in harms way it could be nearly suicidal. No one will help you, no 911, no fire dept, you are on your own. If the thing hits as a Cat 5, it could tear your house down with you in it.

Do you really want that? Dont be that person standing on a roof waiting to be rescued that we all see on TV after the storm.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
I wouldn't care what my house was made of or one story or two, hurricane shutters or not, if told to EVACUATE, do it! Yes, I live way up here, but I have been through hurricanes. I have also lived right on a beach and have seen what can happen even to massive brick condos. Never underestimate the power of the sea. I have seen people rescued in boats and they were lucky to be alive, having stayed in their condo. The ocean got so high and there was so much force that it blasted through the big front window and nearly washed the people away.

If you don't evacuate, no one is going to come and save you when you've climbed up on what remains of your roof and are desperate. My sister lives on the Virginia coast and is ready to evacuate if told. Those of you who have been through these dangerous storms before (apparently the last one was 30 years ago!) will know enough to leave so this is aimed at anyone new who thinks they are smarter than Mother Nature. If told to go, please GO! Be safe.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:51 PM

29 posts, read 26,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
I think its stupid, if you are genuinely in harms way it could be nearly suicidal. No one will help you, no 911, no fire dept, you are on your own. If the thing hits as a Cat 5, it could tear your house down with you in it.

Do you really want that? Dont be that person standing on a roof waiting to be rescued that we all see on TV after the storm.
In total agreement, From New Orleans, Katrina survivor here. Don't think you can ride this out. I am very concerned for people who decide to stay. I know of a number of people who stayed for Katrina, including men who sent their families away and stayed for fear of being looted and in the end lost their lives leaving their family with, no home, no Father, no Husband. Do not do this to your family. Evacuate with them, please! They will need YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina