Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:02 PM

235 posts, read 268,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Wondering as well - I've been following this as there isn't a thread on New Bern (which was hit hard) damage. Wonder if there isn't internet yet in some areas.
Still lots of power outages in New Bern area. Thousands of homes, hundreds of businesses flooded in New Bern per Mayor Dana Outlaw. I would not doubt that internet is also out. Cell service was spotty when I drove through the area yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 05:23 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Thanks so much Brighter Days!! I have family (on my late husbands' side) that had to evacuate and am kind of ticked that they haven't kept me posted (other than a couple days ago and she was ticked that hubby already wanted to go back). I hate to think what people will come home to, when they can go home - no power and fridge/freezer out - I see the news w/the downtown pics. but they are just outside/S. of the actual downtown area.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks so much Brighter Days!! I have family (on my late husbands' side) that had to evacuate and am kind of ticked that they haven't kept me posted (other than a couple days ago and she was ticked that hubby already wanted to go back). I hate to think what people will come home to, when they can go home - no power and fridge/freezer out - I see the news w/the downtown pics. but they are just outside/S. of the actual downtown area.
Much of New Bern looks like a war zone. It truly is a 'disaster area' at the moment. It is going to be a long haul for people to get their lives and homes back. Duke Energy is making progress on restoring power but much work remains. I have a feeling Suddenlink and Centurylink (the local ISP's) are in at least as bad of shape as electric utilities.

I have no idea how they are going to manage to house all of the homeless this storm has created. I am guessing lots of FEMA trailers will be showing up in the weeks to come.

I personally know of people who did not heed the mandatory evac orders, and then got flooded in and were stuck on the second floor of their homes. ....and yet they still refused to leave even with no power, no water, and water rescue teams offering them a way out. I just don't get it...

Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
Much of New Bern looks like a war zone. It truly is a 'disaster area' at the moment. It is going to be a long haul for people to get their lives and homes back. Duke Energy is making progress on restoring power but much work remains. I have a feeling Suddenlink and Centurylink (the local ISP's) are in at least as bad of shape as electric utilities.

I have no idea how they are going to manage to house all of the homeless this storm has created. I am guessing lots of FEMA trailers will be showing up in the weeks to come.

I personally know of people who did not heed the mandatory evac orders, and then got flooded in and were stuck on the second floor of their homes. ....and yet they still refused to leave even with no power, no water, and water rescue teams offering them a way out. I just don't get it...
You are a good friend. They may be in shock, after going through such a traumatic experience and losing so much to flood waters. They are looking at a big recovery process. If they have no flood insurance, they may be going through despair and depression. Stay strong for them.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are a good friend. They may be in shock, after going through such a traumatic experience and losing so much to flood waters. They are looking at a big recovery process. If they have no flood insurance, they may be going through despair and depression. Stay strong for them.
Thanks. I have also been flooded out and dealing with the shock/denial myself. I evacuated as soon as mandatory evacs were ordered, unfortunately I could move my home away from the rising waters. Thankfully I do have flood insurance, but it is still going to be a long journey to recovery ahead. I am hoping coastal and eastern NC can rise from the ashes once again.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 AM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
I'm so very sorry to hear

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM

401 posts, read 530,206 times
Would still like to hear from anyone who can respond to the original posting/questions re: areas around Wrightsville, Mayfaire, Landfall, Eastwood, Military Cutoff, etc.....as some others have also asked about. Have spent as much time as I can on the local news sites and watching all of the New Hanover updates every day at 11:45 each day and there have started to be some pretty good videos posted on Youtube in case you are interested.

Another concern is the gas station status. Doesn't look good on https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?q=wilmington%2C%20nc

Also, something I haven't seen anything about - if a gas station was underwater/flooded, do the gas tanks underground get flooded? Only thing worse than running out of gas is getting a tank full of watered-down gas.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Would still like to hear from anyone who can respond to the original posting/questions re: areas around Wrightsville, Mayfaire, Landfall, Eastwood, Military Cutoff, etc.....as some others have also asked about. Have spent as much time as I can on the local news sites and watching all of the New Hanover updates every day at 11:45 each day and there have started to be some pretty good videos posted on Youtube in case you are interested.

Another concern is the gas station status. Doesn't look good on https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?q=wilmington%2C%20nc

Also, something I haven't seen anything about - if a gas station was underwater/flooded, do the gas tanks underground get flooded? Only thing worse than running out of gas is getting a tank full of watered-down gas.
Our house at WB had some water intrusion through the roof. The ceiling in a bathroom fell in, and there is water damage below that room, obviously. Lots of missing shingles...it will probably need a new roof, but it was old.

My sister lives off Eastwood, her power has been back on for a couple of days. My cousin lives near Bradley Creek; her power came back on yesterday, I think.

Underground gas tanks are a closed system, so typically no water can get in them. Some part of the tank or lines running from the tank to the line would have to be compromised in order for water to get in.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,223,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post

I did see a comment on a Facebook discussion about someone having engine trouble after buying gas at the Wilmington Costco, the person suspected that there was water in the gas.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,839,064 times
From NCDOT:

Quote:
Saturday, 9/22/18 12 noon update
Motorists may now access Wilmington

From the south via US 17
From the north via I-40 east to NC 24 east (Exit 373) to US 17 south
From Fayetteville via NC 87 to US 701 south to NC 211

Jacksonville: via I-40 to NC 24 (Exit 373)

I-95 remains closed from US 64 (Exit 138) to South Carolina
I-40 remains closed from NC 41 (Exit 385) to Wilmington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina