Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Would still like to hear from anyone who can respond to the original posting/questions re: areas around Wrightsville, Mayfaire, Landfall, Eastwood, Military Cutoff, etc.....as some others have also asked about. Have spent as much time as I can on the local news sites and watching all of the New Hanover updates every day at 11:45 each day and there have started to be some pretty good videos posted on Youtube in case you are interested.

Another concern is the gas station status. Doesn't look good on https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?q=wilmington%2C%20nc

Also, something I haven't seen anything about - if a gas station was underwater/flooded, do the gas tanks underground get flooded? Only thing worse than running out of gas is getting a tank full of watered-down gas.

I came down Military Cutoff to College on my way to Snow's Cut yesterday PM. Roads were fine and while there were some piles of debris along side the road in places it seems like we really dodged a HUGE bullet. It seems as it was with Matthew, the river towns are taking more of a hit than the coast. Was on Pleasure Island this AM, didn't go all that far south but what I saw looked pretty good and some friends in a condo across from the lake have power and weren't flooded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
I-40 and US-74 have reopened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...0-reopens.aspx

Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 AM

401 posts, read 528,043 times
When will it be safe to go back in the Atlantic at Wrightsville? Have been searching for information but nobody seems to have any definite answers. The beach looks really strange and creepy - definitely not back to normal.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
When will it be safe to go back in the Atlantic at Wrightsville? Have been searching for information but nobody seems to have any definite answers. The beach looks really strange and creepy - definitely not back to normal.
What information have you seen that says its NOT safe to go in the water at WB?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Pretty much everything I have read, watched, seen and been told. I've contacted the town, the county, the state, several independent agencies, the EPA, NOAA and almost every individual surfing and private business in the area that might know. The consensus seems to be stay out of the water - at least until there are definite test results that show it is OK. That isn't even going on yet and the contaminants pouring out of the Cape Fear are unlike anything that the coastal waters have had dumped in them before in terms of numbers, types and magnitude. The most helpful response I got so far is from nccoast.org who is doing their own testing and will have the results soon. But they also say don't go in the water. If you take a look at the beach cameras you won't see the usual surfers out there. I have been in contact with the surfing sites and shops too and they are all saying no way until tests show it is OK. The real question is - how long will it be? My guess is not until next year in May. This year is probably over in terms of safe water quality.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Pretty much everything I have read, watched, seen and been told. I've contacted the town, the county, the state, several independent agencies, the EPA, NOAA and almost every individual surfing and private business in the area that might know. The consensus seems to be stay out of the water - at least until there are definite test results that show it is OK. That isn't even going on yet and the contaminants pouring out of the Cape Fear are unlike anything that the coastal waters have had dumped in them before in terms of numbers, types and magnitude. The most helpful response I got so far is from nccoast.org who is doing their own testing and will have the results soon. But they also say don't go in the water. If you take a look at the beach cameras you won't see the usual surfers out there. I have been in contact with the surfing sites and shops too and they are all saying no way until tests show it is OK. The real question is - how long will it be? My guess is not until next year in May. This year is probably over in terms of safe water quality.
It won't take anything close to 8 months to clear up. You're way over reacting. Again.

"...the contaminants pouring out of the Cape Fear are unlike anything that the coastal waters have had dumped in them before in terms of numbers, types and magnitude."

Its not that much different from Matthew, Fran, Floyd, etc.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM

I meant in terms of remaining days of warm enough temperatures this fall. In other words, the usual beach season around here that runs from April to October or so. Just not enough time left this year before that ends.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Quote:
WB Live Surf is promising to keep people updated on the water quality or safety. I don't think I'll be going in the water again until next year. I live near Surf City and the beach is closed to the public for now anyway.

Wrightsville Beach Surf Forecasts, Surf Reports & Live Cams

Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM

"Rachel Noble, a University of North Carolina Institute of Marine Sciences microbiologist, said beaches will likely be safe to swim at this weekend as long as people stay at least 400 meters away from stormwater discharge pipes.

“By this weekend, I would be thinking that the water quality along our ocean beaches -- absent a stormwater input -- would be back to normal,” said Noble, who has developed rapid tests for several species of bacteria found in water."

Old 09-27-2018, 11:38 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Well, I'm certainly not going swimming for a while:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...219048495.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina