Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 AM

61 posts, read 68,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
It doesn't annoy me at all. Its your choice to pay more at companies you like. Its just silly to complain about choosing to do so. And Publix and Walmart aren't the only 2 options.
I never considered a Walmart an option. You brought it up, not me
And yes, the point of my post was to ask for other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:47 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,409,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I never considered a Walmart an option. You brought it up, not me
And yes, the point of my post was to ask for other options.
Um, ok. No idea what the point of that is. You asked for options, i provided them. I guess I know to avoid helping you in the future.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 34,367 times
Quote:
I'm used to paying tax on food already.
Really? Isn't Illinois 1% on food and drugs? Yes, the food prices here are shocking, as are the utility prices. Recently, gas prices have not varied that much from Illinois (downstate). The only thing that is less expensive here is property tax; income tax, however, is more than Illinois.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon2013 View Post
Really? Isn't Illinois 1% on food and drugs? Yes, the food prices here are shocking, as are the utility prices. Recently, gas prices have not varied that much from Illinois (downstate). The only thing that is less expensive here is property tax; income tax, however, is more than Illinois.
Not necessarily. The tax RATE is slightly lower in IL (4.95% versus 5.49% in NC), but due to differences in the way each state handles things like deductions, NC can be less for some taxpayers. For example, a married couple making $50,000 would pay $2,260 in state income taxes in IL, and $1,842 in NC.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 AM

61 posts, read 68,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Um, ok. No idea what the point of that is. You asked for options, i provided them. I guess I know to avoid helping you in the future.
You told me that I am choosing Walmart as my only option besides Publix lol. Let's just stop talking. You're misunderstanding and making this into a thing. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,139,106 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

So I moved to Wilmington back in April and I love it here. There have been some trade-offs as far as costs of living goes (gas is much cheaper here than in the Midwest, where I moved from, but I pay a little more for internet) etc. However, the main issue I have found is that grocery store food is SO expensive compared to the Chicago suburbs and I can't figure out why.
For example, the cheapest I can find a package of chicken thighs is about $4/lb at Publix. In Chicago, you can go to Caputo's and get a huge package of chicken for $0.99/lb. It blows my mind to see a package of 4 chicken thighs for $7-$10 dollars, when I could get the same thing back in the midwest for $3 or so.
Fruits and vegetables are insanely overpriced here. $5 for a package of 3 bell peppers sometimes?? Not even organic! I don't understand where these prices are coming from.
Is it just because Wilmington is far away from other large cities?

I really like it here but I am having a hard time justifying spending $60+ dollars every time I go to the grocery store just to buy the basic necessities for eating once a week, when I could spend half of that and get fresher/better options in Chicago.

Any thoughts?
Have you tried Trader Joe's? Many of their items beat traditional grocery store prices and are higher quality.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You told me that I am choosing Walmart as my only option besides Publix lol. Let's just stop talking. You're misunderstanding and making this into a thing. Good luck.
No, I offered Wal-Mart as AN option, not the ONLY option. Notice the difference? If you don't wish to shop at Wal-Mart, then don't. The point is there are other, less expensive places than Publix.

Last edited by BC1960; 10-16-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,291,093 times
Quote:
Food Lion...get MVP card...just use phone number.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 730,804 times
Coming in late to this discussion, but we moved from Chicago area to Southport 12 years ago. Thought we did our research but to our dismay, almost everything is more expensive here except for property taxes (resulting in problems with low teacher pay, probably) and cheaper gasoline. Groceries, utilities, insurance, plus the extra expenses of pest control, flood insurance, graduated state income tax, and the expensive medical bills for allergy/asthma that we never had up north. Looking to relocate soon away from the coast. So many really love it though.

As far as food costs go, the best values are the fresh fish and shellfish. Also we found an inexpensive local source of organic chicken, with deliveries a few times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina