Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 PM

42 posts, read 24,643 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience using Sprint as a cell phone provider on Hatteras Island. I'm in Verizon's network now, and it's been fine in past visits.

I'd like to save a few bucks, but the last thing I want is a million dollar headache every time I'm on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,121,071 times
Verizon is only 1 of 2 cell carriers worth having in eastern North Carolina. US Cellular is the other. The problem is the entire area is sparsely populated and once you get away from larger towns then the service falls off. Verizon and US Cellular have invested in cell towers to cover most of the rural areas whereas none of the other carriers, including Sprint, have not. I had Sprint for a long time before I moved to Greenville, NC. It worked fine in the city of Greenville but once I started traveling out into the countryside, the service would quickly fall off. Then I tried T Mobile. It was the same as Sprint. I asked around and the overwhelming consensus was that US Cellular and Verizon were the only 2 real options. Since my son works for Verizon I went with that option. It works virtually everywhere.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM

653 posts, read 2,710,183 times
There is no Sprint coverage on Hatteras, or just about anywhere east of I-95. Somewhere between Rocky Mount and Tarboro was the last spot I had any coverage. I have since dropped due to their terrible coverage across the state. Do not switch.

T-Mobile did not have service a few years ago on Hatteras, but they did when we were there last May.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 6,867,002 times
Avoid Sprint like the plague. Their coverage (if you can call it that) is terrible. Nobody I know in ENC has Sprint for the same reason. I have Sprint’s BoostMobile service and I have the same experience as the other posters when I’m in NC.

Here’s the coverage maps:

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Last edited by LM117; 03-17-2019 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 01:59 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,415,020 times
If you want to save money, switch to a Verizon MVNO like Total Wireless.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,608,597 times
T-Mobile has covered most of the mainland east of Washington with 600MHz LTE (coverage even in places Verizon doesn’t cover in Hyde) and they’re soon building a tower on Ocracoke. Hatteras is covered.

Verizon has the best coverage but the slowest data in the area now. Network is over saturated. AT&T is the next best. US Cellular is so far behind in technology they’re barely a player anymore.

Also - they do not address this on coverage maps but T-Mobile and US Cellular have a roaming agreeement. It only applies to specific towers that US Cellular has activated VoLTE on. This is one of the things US Cellular is far behind on - Except for Sprint the others have had VoLTE for years.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 PM

Well, thank you, all. Sprint is offering an incentivized deal with new phones now, but it sounds as if the nice phone may as well be a brick for me if I have their service while in Avon.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If you want to save money, switch to a Verizon MVNO like Total Wireless.
I'll likely keep PagePlus (Verizon MVNO, as you suggest) and start combing ebay for another round of used phones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina