Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,880,307 times

Advertisements

To add, had just heard this this week, the audio clip named "Is It The Summer Of Shark?" https://rock92.com/podcast-series/view/audio-on-demand has some interesting interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,880,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I see sharks all the time when I am at the beach. Most of the time it is when I am in the water and a fin pops up or when a wave is forming and the shark is pushed up and made more visible. They are everywhere and always have been. If most people knew how many sharks surrounded them at all times once they went in the water, they would never go in. Talk to any person who has ever flown above/along the coast - pretty much anywhere in the world - but definitely along the Carolinas - and they will all tell you that swimmers are among many, many sharks most of the time - sometimes just feet away and they have no idea. This story is a recent example of that:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/life/an...a-34d22b4532df

Would I rather not have the sharks around me? Of course, but I am a lot more afraid of the stingrays and jellyfish (the stinging kind, not the cannonballs). I am a lot more afraid of the moron humans who don't use their turn signals, stare at their phones while driving, tailgate, speed, drive recklessly, etc........

Because there are so many surfers around Wrightsville, when I go for a swim, I have to go WAY out past all of them - maybe a quarter-mile out in around 15-20 feet deep water. Out there, I have never seen a shark, but for the last couple of days there have been so many cannonballs that it is almost impossible to swim. I keep getting hit in the face, arms and legs with them. The sharks around here are usually 3-4 feet long and do everything they can to stay/get away from people. If one of those media-attention-grabbing huge Great White's decided to visit, it would be a different story.
Thanks Dean and I wonder about the Whites - not sure how many attacks were by which shark species, and Whites are surely scary, but I am personally more concerned about Bulls, and possibly Tigers.

Your experiences sound pretty scary, especially the kind of attacks that concern me more than fatality ones are the ones where they bite to sample more than bit to kill.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:07 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,656,985 times
Facts are often so inconvenient:

"Sharks have lived in the ocean since the beginning of time, and for the most part, they’ve gone largely unnoticed.
But lately, they have been getting a lot more attention. Reports of attacks on humans have made headlines across the country. Many of those widely reported incidents have occurred on North Carolina’s coast.

Hearing about these incidents, one might assume shark attacks are becoming more frequent. But scientists at the Florida Program for Shark Research, based at the Florida Museum of Natural History, say the opposite is true. The program tracks shark attacks around the world in its International Shark Attack File. According to those statistics, the number of attacks on humans are actually decreasing.

Data collected by the program shows that in 2018 there were 32 confirmed unprovoked attacks in the United States. That number was significantly lower than 2017 when the U.S. had 53 incidents."

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...taken-identity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina