Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 AM
jbs jbs started this thread

5 posts, read 23,754 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are 20+ year GE employees in another State. Our plant recently announced its intent to close. We are faced with the decision to either transfer to another GE or change careers completely. We are both hourly workers, although we have both gone back to school a few years ago and are working toward completing our business degrees.

Of the few possible relocation options, Wilmington is the one that appeals to us the most as far a location goes. We have visited twice. In fact we are here right now. We have looked at homes and have already discovered the price "adjustment" we would have to accept to purchase here.

We also know that the plant may not be doing any significant hiring for a while yet, but if there is anyone on this forum who is an employee, any insight into the working environment would be greatly appreciated.

We work in an appliance manufacturing plant with a continuously moving assembly line. I do know that some of our former employees, who were laid off in the past, are working here now. Again, any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Hi - I just sent you a message with a link to check out. Hope it helps you.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks.

jbs

Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 AM

39 posts, read 166,375 times
Hi - I have several friends who work at the GE plant here in Wilmington and love it.

I actually work for GE Healthcare, but work from home. If I can help, let me know.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM

122 posts, read 482,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapydiva View Post
Hi - I have several friends who work at the GE plant here in Wilmington and love it.

I actually work for GE Healthcare, but work from home. If I can help, let me know.
Just curious...what do you do for GE Healthcare? I did some consulting work for a medical group here in Wilm who purchased the GE Centricity EMR software and they like it. The girl who helped us set everything up was at GE Healthcare in Raleigh, and like you, she also worked from home. Are they pretty good to work for? Sounds like a good gig to me.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
Just curious...what do you do for GE Healthcare? I did some consulting work for a medical group here in Wilm who purchased the GE Centricity EMR software and they like it. The girl who helped us set everything up was at GE Healthcare in Raleigh, and like you, she also worked from home. Are they pretty good to work for? Sounds like a good gig to me.
I am a software engineer. I work with the billing/scheduling side of things not EMR. GE bought out IDX Systems Corporation a few years ago. I got on board with GE a year ago. I worked at ECU 5 years prior and we used IDX software. Feel free to PM me and I can send you a link to the jobs.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their reply. The more I explore the news stories and other sources as to the future job hiring at this plant, the more I get the impression that most of these positions will be of a highly skilled or technical nature. While my wife and I both have college degrees, we hold degrees in Business, not engineering.

JBS

Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,871 times
Exclamation Wilmington GE

I read some blogs about trying to get work at Wilmington GE. Here is a tip. LIE about your drug, education, and criminal record. Here is a fact. They do not check personal backgrounds. Put whatever you want on your resume. I personally know drug users, people who lied about their education, and a repeat dui offender that doesn't even have a drivers license. They all hold positions at the GE nuclear plant. NO JOKE and NO LIE. GE might sound like a nice place to work, but so far I've met nothing but a bunch of losers working there.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM

70 posts, read 182,493 times
Good Lord Wilmington Resident, what are you encouraging? How about don't do illegal stuff so you don't have to lie about yourself? My husband has worked at GE for 30 years and we have a large wonderful circle of friends that work there too. We don't have any convictions ,all have nice homes and happy families,take great trips, and support each other through good times and bad. You might need to hang out with a better group of friends.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Wilmington Resident - that is absurd. They do drug testing and background checks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina