Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 07:09 PM

73 posts, read 188,328 times

Advertisements

Hello. I currently live in Virginia near the mountains and I am wanting to explore more areas to see if I would be interested in living there. I have lived here my entire life. I am 46, single with no children and I am looking for a nice place to live that has different shopping, entertainment, and night life including multiple restaurants. I am also hoping to find an area at least 45 minutes away from where I would reside that I can ride my ATV. I do; however, also love the beach - even if two hours away. I currently work in Higher Education - a university - and would prefer living within 30 minutes of work. I am not happy with the winter weather and would like to be in an area that has more sun and warmer weather. I prefer living in a rural setting and not in a city or suburbs. I have pets and would need an a living area where a home would have a nice backyard that could be fenced in. I am looking for small trip ideas and would like to know:

1) Which area do you suggest I travel to in regards to the information above?
2) Which state agencies are there which would be no more than a 30 minute drive from a rural setting?
3) Would you mind sharing exactly what different options there are for nightlife, restaurants, things to do?
4) Would you say a certain area is more non-judgmental, open-minded than another as I live in an area with very close-minded people: very conservative - NOT meaning anything political - meaning in my area people would take a double take if you colored your hair red or if you wore an outfit that would not be such an issue in a place like NY but here....a double take.
5) Do you suggest another part of North Carolina that would suit my needs better?
6) What is the weather like?

I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,649,201 times
Well, you posted on the coastal NC board, so for that area I'd suggest Greenville or Wilmington. Both have universities, shopping, restaurants, etc. Wilmington is closer to the beach, and has less chance of winter precipitation.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,093,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTCHATLC View Post
......4) Would you say a certain area is more non-judgmental, open-minded than another as I live in an area with very close-minded people: very conservative - NOT meaning anything political - meaning in my area people would take a double take if you colored your hair red or if you wore an outfit that would not be such an issue in a place like NY but here....a double take.
If you want to be less than an hour to the beach, then I second Wilmington or Greenville. I will add that there are also universities in Elizabeth City, Pembroke and Fayetteville.

You might look at Asheville which is know for accepting diversity of all kinds, including purple hair, beads and weird outfilts. Finding a job might be harder.

Then the outer edges of the Triangle might also suit you, because there are transplants from everywhere. There are numerous universities and the state agencies are in Raleigh. From Raleigh, you might have to go more than 30 minutes to be in a rural area, but there are places like Harnett County and Johnston County that are commutable to Raleigh.

Riding an ATV might be an issue. They are not welcome on private land, and every piece of land is owned by somebody. You have to check the state parks or local parks for trails where they are allowed. Or locate a place like Outback ATV Park in Laurinburg: https://www.outbackmsc.com/

Regarding weather. Obviously it will be warmer than Virginia mountains. We had no snow this winter on the coast, but inland areas did. Summers are hot an humid.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-01-2020 at 03:25 AM..

Old 03-01-2020, 07:11 AM

One possibility about ATV riding is the RiderPlanet web site. Locate the ATV parks on a map and draw a 45 minute circle around them. See if the circle intersect with a city or town where you might find a job. Website here: https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...olina_list.htm

BTW, I suspect the people in rural areas of North Carolina are also socially conservative about things like hair color, piercings and unusual clothes. You may have to learn to live with it.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:01 AM

There are also trails for off-highway vehicles in the Croatan National Forest, near New Bern and Morehead City. They are open year-round and the usage is heavy. An annual pass costs $30. Website and FAQ's here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfs...48112&actid=93

(Note also the Uwharrie NF in the Triad has the most trails.)

Finding a job nearby might be a bit difficult. There is East Carolina University, a few community colleges, and local governments.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:29 AM

73 posts, read 188,328 times
Thank you for taking the time to reply with some great information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina