Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 08:22 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,153,969 times

Advertisements

I have not seen anything on the NCDMV web site about extensions or waivers to the safety inspecion requirements during the COVID-19 crisis. We are "at risk" seniors and really do not want to be in a crowded waiting room at a car shop. We live in Onslow County, among Marine families who could have been anywhere in the world, including Italy.

I did contact them through the web site, but are not expecting an answer until next week, if they are even working. I am hping someone has experience with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 01:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,655,336 times
I haven't heard anything about extensions. Some inspection stations have outdoor seating areas where one could sit and socially distance. Or perhaps a neighbor or friend could take the car for the inspection?

Old 04-04-2020, 02:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 6,867,002 times
According to yesterday's article, there is currently no extension or waiver. Apparently, only the General Assembly can make that happen.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...241744466.html

Quote:
Will the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles allow car owners to postpone their annual inspections if they are concerned about catching COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus?

A couple of readers had contacted the Observer, saying they were worried about a stranger getting in their car for an inspection and possibly having the novel coronavirus.

The Charlotte Observer called Steve Abbott, a spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Transportation. The short answer is no, they can’t, but that could eventually change. Here’s why:

Neither the DMV nor the governor can legally extend expiration deadlines or waive late fees, Abbott said Friday in an email.

“They are part of state law, so that can only be handled by the General Assembly, which we will work with regarding those issues as soon as it meets later this month,” Abbott said.

The government deems inspection stations and license plate agencies as essential businesses. That means they can stay open to the public for now, according to Abbott.

Inspection stations and license plate agencies are privately operated, so it is their owners’ choice whether to stay open, Abbott said.
The rest of the article is basically repeating Edward Teach's suggestion, which is a good one. If your inspection is due this month, then that's pretty much your only alternative. If not, then you could wait and see what the General Assembly does when they meet this month and take it from there.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:51 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,153,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
According to yesterday's article, there is currently no extension or waiver. Apparently, only the General Assembly can make that happen. ........If not, then you could wait and see what the General Assembly does when they meet this month and take it from there.
Thanks. I do not like the answer, but it seems to be the law. The husband has an exotic car, which only he can drive, so perhaps I could follow him in my car and we wait outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: