Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

This was my first experience with online ordering of groceries. I had built a list on the Publix site, but it did not transfer to the Instacart site. I was concerned about higher prices than in the store, but it was not too bad. Instacart charges a 3.99 fee for delivery within 5 hours, plus they add a tip for the driver of about 5% of the order, and a 5% service fee. They allow substitutes on items, and of course, they are out-of-stock on toilet paper. They also have limits on some items like canned milk.

I am interested to know if they can actually do it within 5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 08:50 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Please consider increasing the amount of your tip. The Instacart worker deserves more than 5%, especially in today's circumstances.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Please consider increasing the amount of your tip. The Instacart worker deserves more than 5%, especially in today's circumstances.
Things came within one and a half hours. We did not want to interact with the workers, but will look at the automatic tip next time.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-08-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Agree.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:07 AM

OK, I found that there is a place to adjust the tip in the review section of the order.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 PM

I was also gratified to find they sent me an adjusted bill in an e-mail. It accounted for the substituted items most of which were significantly cheaper than what I ordered. I was disapointed not to get a spiral-sliced honey-glazed ham (Easter specialty). We are grateful to be healthy, and are planning to use Instacart again.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:32 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I did an Instacart order this morning, and got same day delivery (my order arrived ahead of schedule), also from Publix (Surf City). I got everything I ordered, even toilet paper!!! (never thought I'd see the day when I got excited about toilet paper). Very pleasant young man did the shopping & delivery. I will most likely use Instacart again, even though it's not the least expensive way to shop.

Yesterday, I did a curbside pickup from Lowe's Food in Hampstead. It was ok, but even though I indicated that substitutions were ok, they just left off items and didn't substitute. Which is why I did the Instacart this morning, to get the items that Lowe's didn't include in my order. But it was quick and easy to pull up, use the intercom to let them know I was there, and they brought my groceries right out and loaded them into the trunk, and I paid outside using a handheld credit card reader.

Both curbside & Instacart delivery are probably how I'll be doing my grocery shopping for the forseeable future. I'm over 60 and have a lifelong history of severe reaction to viral infections.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I did an Instacart order this morning, and got same day delivery (my order arrived ahead of schedule), also from Publix (Surf City). I got everything I ordered, even toilet paper!!! .....
I also did an Instacart order from the Surf City Publix this morning. They came very quickly in the time slot I wanted. I had given up on toilet paper, so I didn't even try. They substitutions were good, but they were sold out of bread machine yeast of any kind. I even got on my desktop and was able to use a chat session with the shopper. I do not have a smartphone, and was very pleased to see that the chat worked like text messages are supposed to. She also telephone to let me know about the yeast.I am very impressed with the software and service. The worker wears gloves and a mask, and they have insulated bags for meat and frozen food.

BTW, a neighbor reported finding toilet paper at Costco in Wilmington. Of course, once word gets around, it will disappear fast.

I am also over 60, and my husband has respiratory problems. I will seriously consider using Instacart again after the crisis is over. The Publix has a lot more variety than my local Food Lion.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Harris Teeter in New Bern had both TP and paper towels for my ExpressLane pickup this morning. The commissary at Camp Lejuene had the same late last week. It seems the supply chain may have adjusted. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:36 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I also did an Instacart order from the Surf City Publix this morning. They came very quickly in the time slot I wanted. I had given up on toilet paper, so I didn't even try. They substitutions were good, but they were sold out of bread machine yeast of any kind. I even got on my desktop and was able to use a chat session with the shopper. I do not have a smartphone, and was very pleased to see that the chat worked like text messages are supposed to. She also telephone to let me know about the yeast.I am very impressed with the software and service. The worker wears gloves and a mask, and they have insulated bags for meat and frozen food.

BTW, a neighbor reported finding toilet paper at Costco in Wilmington. Of course, once word gets around, it will disappear fast.

I am also over 60, and my husband has respiratory problems. I will seriously consider using Instacart again after the crisis is over. The Publix has a lot more variety than my local Food Lion.
Well, it turns out that the shopper made a mistake, and what I thought was my toilet paper was actually a 6 pack of paper towels. Oh well, maybe I can cut them up into little squares for a substitute.

So getting yeast is a problem now? I make my own bread, so that's a concern for me too.

The Surf City Publix is a really nice store. I haven't usually shopped there because it's kind of expensive, and Harris Teeter is closer but things have changed now. The combination of Publix and the Instacart service worked pretty well, and since I'm not going out anywhere spending money on other things, I guess I can afford the extra cost.

How quickly our world changed. We Americans aren't used to having empty shelves at the grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina