Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times

Advertisements

I would definitely evac if it's a strong storm. We were here for Fran coming through the Triangle and that was pretty intense. Trees were crashing down all around us through the night. Woke up the next morning and there must have been 20 huge pines and oaks across our street. We lost power for 2 weeks and the street was impassable for that time too. Tree hit the corner of the house, but luckily did minimal damage.

A friend in Wilmington lives very close to the house where the mom and baby were killed by the falling tree in Florence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
For me, it depends on the strength of the hurricane. Cat 1 or 2; I'm staying. Cat 3; depends on the projected track. Cat 4 or higher; definitely leaving. But when I leave, I'll be going to a friend's or family's home, not a hotel or shelter.
While that is a pretty standard strategy, I would point out that we have had some pretty awful Cat 1s that were moving very slow. Slow movers, pushing water for a long time, as well as raining a lot, can be worse than some higher category storms that move fast.

Recommend working storm speed into your calculations! Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
For me, it depends on the strength of the hurricane. Cat 1 or 2; I'm staying. Cat 3; depends on the projected track. Cat 4 or higher; definitely leaving. But when I leave, I'll be going to a friend's or family's home, not a hotel or shelter.
Pretty much our plan! With Covid very active, a shelter is out of the question and a hotel is iffy. Luckily we have family far from the surge.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95slyons View Post
We want to be within 45 minutes of the beach and are open to any town/city. Our biggest concern is finding jobs and if it is family-friendly. My parents are also concerned about hurricanes which is why we are looking for something in-land a bit. We wouldn't mind traveling 30 minutes to work but we'd rather not have to drive farther than that.
Hope you are paying attention the track of this hurricane and to the flood warnings all over the state.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We evacuated from Florence and went to Lee County, 2 hours inland. Then we could not get back home because I-40 was flooded. There are low spots along I-40 because the builders did not elevate it high enough above the rivers. We were stuck sleeping on the floor of a high-school gymnasium for several days. We will never again evacuate, especially with the current virus risk.
OP- If you want to live by the coast, find the highest lot you can find, and buy a generator. Keep enough emergency supplies to get you through 2 weeks without public electricity
Facts^^^^^^

Old 08-06-2020, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,031 times
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for your feedback! We had it narrowed down to a few different coastal towns but I’ve been doing a lot of research about flooding and hurricanes in each area and am not sold. After looking at each area on the flood map and reading everyone’s input, we are thinking of looking inland a bit more. We plan on getting a home within zone X and having flood insurance, as well as a house on a hill if possible. We have a generator for our home now in PA so that is a definite when we move down. I've seen many pictures of the hurricane that just hit and will also be chopping any trees down that are close to the house.

I would really like to be within 2 and a half hours of the beach so that on the weekends we can take a day trip there. We don’t mind whether it is a city or town as long as it is pretty safe and the potential to find a job is good. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-06-2020, 01:18 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for your feedback! We had it narrowed down to a few different coastal towns but I’ve been doing a lot of research about flooding and hurricanes in each area and am not sold. After looking at each area on the flood map and reading everyone’s input, we are thinking of looking inland a bit more. We plan on getting a home within zone X and having flood insurance, as well as a house on a hill if possible. We have a generator for our home now in PA so that is a definite when we move down. I've seen many pictures of the hurricane that just hit and will also be chopping any trees down that are close to the house.

I would really like to be within 2 and a half hours of the beach so that on the weekends we can take a day trip there. We don’t mind whether it is a city or town as long as it is pretty safe and the potential to find a job is good. Any input is greatly appreciated!
In my opinion you are over thinking the risk. There are lots of areas that flood, many of those inland. The coast actually withstands flooding fairly well, if you stay outside of the floodplain. AND many homes are built to withstand flooding. Unless there is a history, which a property would know by now with the amount of storms in the last 25 years, there is no reason to buy flood insurance outside the floodplain.

Lots of folks don't have generators...power was on within 12 hours of the storm passing by the other night for most residents.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In my opinion you are over thinking the risk. There are lots of areas that flood, many of those inland. The coast actually withstands flooding fairly well, if you stay outside of the floodplain. AND many homes are built to withstand flooding. Unless there is a history, which a property would know by now with the amount of storms in the last 25 years, there is no reason to buy flood insurance outside the floodplain.

Lots of folks don't have generators...power was on within 12 hours of the storm passing by the other night for most residents.
Thank you for the input!

We are trying to be extra safe because we don't experience hurricanes as badly up here and aren't too familiar with flooding. I did read that FEMA updated their flood maps recently as well so as long as the home isn't in it, I'm hoping it should be okay. We've been trying to educate ourselves as much as possible and getting information from people who actually live in North Carolina is extremely helpful.

I'm sure we'll still buy a generator though since a few years ago my parent's power went out due to a storm and all of their frozen groceries had to be thrown away. They bought a generator shortly after that!

Old 08-06-2020, 04:26 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
...... I would really like to be within 2 and a half hours of the beach so that on the weekends we can take a day trip there. We don’t mind whether it is a city or town as long as it is pretty safe and the potential to find a job is good. ......
Two and half hours frpm the beach would put you in the eastern suburbs of Raleigh; towns like Garner, Knightdale and Clayton. There would be plenty of job potential, and the area has been growing rapidly. It is still possible to find a house on a larger lot if you look at slightly older homes.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:42 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

You know, I’m not trying to be a jackass, but we see this response all the time.

Yes, hurricanes are a pain in the neck. But MILLIONS of us are doing just fine. With a smidgen of common sense you will too. If you want to live at the coast, do so. You will have neighbors who are no better or worse, are no smarter or dumber, no braver or more scared than you. Normal people, with normal concerns live down this way.

Your concerns are not unique. Many have them, many accept the risks/challenges, many don’t.

I’m not saying you should be beachfront at Hatteras, but you can live a heckuva lot closer than 2 1/2 hours with minimal risk.

I’m in New Bern. Google New Bern and Hurricane Florence. Devastation, right. I live 2 blocks from the mile wide Neuse. Only the extreme corner of my lot saw water (exactly where the flood map predicted). We lost a crepe myrtle and had water damage in the front wall since two 100+ year old windows failed. Power was back on without us losing any food. We raked our rear ends off cleaning up sticks and leaves, but that was it. Yes, a lot of houses were ruined, (the vast majority were not) but you can avoid that by living above the flood zones.

Google Oak Island (just to the right of ground zero for landfall) and the most recent hurricane (can neither spell nor pronounce it). Observe the chaotic scenes on the beach front and Beach Drive. My mother in law is down there now. She is three, maybe four blocks back, mid island. She had no sand, no flooding and never lost power (lines down there are all underground). She has two downed trees and again, the traditional countless wheel barrows of fallen leaves. I lived on the island, on the "back" on the ICW back in 90’s. We took hits from both Bertha and Fran. No damage, just leaves and sticks.

My point is that your concerns are just like the rest of ours. But, you can alleviate most of them, in the right location and the right house within 30 minutes (I’ll be conservative) of the coast.

Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2020 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina