Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 05:00 AM

12 posts, read 15,358 times

Advertisements

[quote=marcandme;59045224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMarieinNC View Post

hasen`t there been a lot of flooding, in Carolina Shores?
It depends on the location. Some spots flood more than others. I personally haven't had any flooding. Sometimes the water pools in places behind my house if it rains for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 11:26 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Myrtle Beach is way too tourist-oriented for my taste, but it may be fine if you are only looking for the beach and golf. Wilmington is an actual city with some cultural amenities like theater and museums. You could live in a Brunswick County community close to the beach and still have Wilmington close by.

Decide how you want to spend your retirement years, and prioritize from that.
You DON"t have to live in Myrtle beach to take advantage of what it offers.

"You could live in a Brunswick County community close to the beach and still have Wilmington close by."

Brunswick Co. goes all the way from Wilmington the the NC/SC state lines. North Myrtle is just as good as Myrtle itself for many things.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:28 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Depending on your pocketbook, I'd at least look at St James and surrounding area of Southport. Its a lovely area.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:13 AM

34 posts, read 52,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I recommend Southport, NC. But it depends on what you're looking for.
I'm not in the same age range as other posters here or even OP's. I can agree that Southport has a certain charm that lures ppl of all ages and minus the crowd.
There are alot of quirky shops selling art and craft, and plenty of niche cafe shops as well.

If you want all the Big city amenities and the commercial charm, it's just an hour drive on either way.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:39 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
The crime in MB has risen the last couple of years, it is being called "Murder Beach". Check these things out before moving. As another poster mentioned, check out health care, that is extremely important.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:56 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
I'm kicking the idea around for a place in NC. I hadn't researched Southport, until now. Thanks all, for the heads-up! (It looks like a neat little burgh.)

Old 03-21-2021, 09:56 PM

23 posts, read 16,670 times
2 different worlds: Myrtle Beach versus Wilmington, NC

Myrtle Beach has a larger airport and one can fly direct to more places. Many more public golf options. It’s much larger, busier and touristy. Inexpensive housing options. Neon signs and “cheap eats” everywhere.

Wilmington is sophisticated, upscale, good private golf club options. Healthy dining options, river on one side and ocean on the other. College town. Museums and good hospitals. Very quaint downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina