Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 07:11 AM

61 posts, read 63,407 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Anyone installed an inground pool in the Wilmington area? Pros/cons? Cost? We are thinking of installing a pool with a 'bird cage' cover.

Any and all thoughts, insights would be SO appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 02:39 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai2u View Post
I have some impressions, based on several people in our neighborhood who installed pool. Our neighborhoood has a pool, but it is mainly used by kids to play in. There have been numerous "accidents" where the pool had to be drained and refilled.

If the OP would enjoy having the pool, it is a superior and my hygenic alternative to sharing the neighborhood pool with other peoples' kids. However, I don't think you can expect to get you money back if you resell the house. If the pandemic lingers on for a year longer, however, private pools may become a better investment.

The OP should also compare their house to others in the neighborhood. How many other homes have private pools? How much of the lot will the pool take up? Will there be enough space left for kids to play or adults to entertain?

BTW, I have never seen a birdcage over a pool, such as you see in Florida. Not sure why, but there are enough mosquitoes in North Carolina to make a covering worthwhile.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
while I was house shopping in Florida I was told an in ground pool would run between $30-40,000.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai2u View Post
Hi all,
Anyone installed an inground pool in the Wilmington area? Pros/cons? Cost? We are thinking of installing a pool with a 'bird cage' cover.

Gonna go salt water?

Old 11-23-2020, 05:00 AM

140 posts, read 316,982 times
As far as the pool Bird Cage covers go, I would think the freezing rain we get here occasionally would collapse those structures.

Ron W.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I havent seen a cage over a pool in Wilmington. Not sure its worth the price.

Most pools, all in, are going to cost you about 50K. With the value of real estate going up consistently, I think pools are much more valuable than they were 20 years ago...although the cost is much higher too. There are more and more buyers "willing" to buy a pool in Wilmington because they have a long season with its climate. But I agree that the lot needs to have some space to it...if not, just look at putting in a Hot tub. To me, pools that are accompanied with grass, patios and other landscaping on the lot are the best values. If you cant have some grass too, maybe its not the best use for THAT lot.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:21 AM

249 posts, read 514,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Gonna go salt water?
^^This

I'm currently renting a house now with a salt water inground pool and if I had to install a pool, I'd 100% go salt water.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:50 AM

61 posts, read 63,407 times
Hi all,
Thank you for your thoughts and insights. I found the cost to be $50K for a 'std pool' whatever that means!

I agree saltwater is the way to go. I have seen the bird cages on several pools in the area. Wonder about the stability given it can get freezing rain as rjsurfer mentioned.

Anyone know if there are any issues with the type of soil in the area - meaning stability of the pool sides/structure?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2020, 04:53 AM

176 posts, read 238,984 times
We had a gunnite rock pool built many years back in Raleigh and we loved the pool- saltwater all the way! So easy to maintain. Anyway, at the same time the pool builder was building our pool he was also building a pool in Wilmington and I remember he said that while excavating that the sand kept collapsing back into the hole before they could pour the sides. They did finally get it poured, but I had wondered if the concrete would crack eventually due to the unstable sand base.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
...... he was also building a pool in Wilmington and I remember he said that while excavating that the sand kept collapsing back into the hole before they could pour the sides. They did finally get it poured, but I had wondered if the concrete would crack eventually due to the unstable sand base.
The lots are all sand, and the ground-water is close to the surface. We have a ground-water well from about 13-14 feet down. Don't plan to make the pool too deep. However, the competent local pool-builders should know these things.

OP--- Good luck with the pool, and I hope you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina