Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 45,812 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (no kids) are trying to plan a weekend trip this summer (early) to an NC beach. We live in CLT and want to find a nice weekend getaway. We want something in the southern part of the state (no outerbanks). We're looking for a nice beach, some stuff to do (a couple restaurants/bars), and warm water! A quaint, clean little beach town would be great. We'd like to make the trip in less than 6 hours. (4-5 would be ideal). I haven't really been to NC beaches since I was little and just not sure which one would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:54 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile It's hard to beat Emerald Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHumkin View Post
My husband and I (no kids) are trying to plan a weekend trip this summer (early) to an NC beach. We live in CLT and want to find a nice weekend getaway. We want something in the southern part of the state (no outerbanks). We're looking for a nice beach, some stuff to do (a couple restaurants/bars), and warm water! A quaint, clean little beach town would be great. We'd like to make the trip in less than 6 hours. (4-5 would be ideal). I haven't really been to NC beaches since I was little and just not sure which one would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
You're about 5 hours away from Emerald Isle. Our daughter who lives near Charlotte takes I85 and cuts over to 421S then follows that to Siler City where she picks up 64E which turns to US1 N just before it hits I40 east in Cary.

Stay on I40 east until exit 373, then follow Route 24E following the signs first to Jacksonville and then to Swansboro.

Don't drive over 5 mph over the speed limit once you get off I40. This route lets you avoid the nasty traffic that is often between Raleigh & Durham. You only end up on the Raleigh beltway for about 9 miles.

Emerald Isle is a quiet family beach area. If you need more quaintness, Swansboro is just a few minutes away, and Beaufort is only 35 minutes.

Here's my Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and Swansboro travel guides to get you started.

Here's a picture of the beach I snapped on the morning of May 3.

Last edited by dsobotta; 05-11-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: broken picture link

Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 AM

9 posts, read 32,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHumkin View Post
One thing-- warm water. I wouldn't expect the ocean to be warm until July. The ocean temperature is always a few months behind the seasons. It stays warm through October.

Emerald Isle is a good one to go to. Restaurants and activities are in nearby Cape Carteret, Swansboro, and a bit further, in Morehead City and Beaufort. I suggest Beaufort as a day trip; very historic, nice waterfront, and a good nautical museum.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 37,516 times
Default Don'r Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
You're about 5 hours away from Emerald Isle. Our daughter who lives near Charlotte takes I85 and cuts over to 421S then follows that to Siler City where she picks up 64E which turns to US1 N just before it hits I40 east in Cary.

Stay on I40 east until exit 373, then follow Route 24E following the signs first to Jacksonville and then to Swansboro.

Don't drive over 5 mph over the speed limit once you get off I40. This route lets you avoid the nasty traffic that is often between Raleigh & Durham. You only end up on the Raleigh beltway for about 9 miles.

Emerald Isle is a quiet family beach area. If you need more quaintness, Swansboro is just a few minutes away, and Beaufort is only 35 minutes.

Here's my Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and Swansboro travel guides to get you started.

Here's a picture of the beach I snapped on the morning of May 3.

Your advice on Emerald Isle and Restaurants are wonderful. Don't quite posting your recommendations. We live in the Midwest but visit Fayetteville often to see our granddaughter and want to go to the beach this summer. Thanks again

Old 05-17-2008, 02:04 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile You should be here today

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate grandparents View Post
Your advice on Emerald Isle and Restaurants are wonderful. Don't quit posting your recommendations. We live in the Midwest but visit Fayetteville often to see our granddaughter and want to go to the beach this summer. Thanks again
I plan to keep posting. There are still lots of spots to visit.

Today the sky is as blue as it ever gets, nice breeze, and temperature in the lower seventies.

We are having a spell of great weather. You might enjoy checking out my restaurant site.

Also if you want the best piece of fish on the Crystal Coast, try one of the grouper specials at Riverside Steak and Seafood. So far they have never let me down.

When you come down, send me a private message and I'll send you directions to my favorite stretch of beach, the least crowded and easiest to get to, and the best one for shells. That's more than one beach.

There are also some interesting things about the beach in a blog that I kept last year.

Well time to head to the beach. Have a great day.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 45,812 times
Thanks! We love Emerald Isle. Your information was helpful. We hope to visit again soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina