Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 08:19 AM

56 posts, read 113,059 times

Advertisements

Hi All, Love this forum!
I am seriously considering moving from FL to Wilmington, NC and am in the process of weighing pros & cons.
I have been reading about a problem with the water, with the advice, don't drink it! What is that all about?

It also seems like traffic is an issue which is made worse by people like me wanting to relocate there, right? Ha!

I work in social services & was so inspired by the Tru Colors Brewery venture/program that I started to seriously consider a move there! Look it up, what an outstanding idea! An attempt to stem gun violence! We have a bad problem here in Brevard County with gun violence & people talk about it but no one does anything to make change!

I know the cost of living would be higher for me, since NC has state income tax & housing costs are higher, but I am hoping that wages would be higher! I need to keep working for a few more years.

I am also wondering if Wilmington gets hit with hurricanes very often. I live on the east coast of FL & altho' I had hoped to move away from hurricane zone, maybe there would be less action & less worry in NC, not sure!

I use alternative healthcare, so I am looking for Naturopathic doctors, acupuncturists, etc. along with some healthier options for food.
Also interested in metaphysical studies.

Thank you all in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 09:48 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Regarding hurricanes, about every two years there is something to worry about. We have high rates for homeowner insurance because of the amounts of damage. During Florence, Wilmington was cut off by flood waters. You may have to carry flood insurance also.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL13 View Post
....I have been reading about a problem with the water, with the advice, don't drink it! What is that all about?.....
There is supposedly a fluorocarbon called GenX in the water in some parts of the Wilmington area. The local water companies are addressing it. You can find some detailed article if you search the Coastal NC forum on "water quality".

Personally, I think the concerns with water are much exaggerated. One can install a reverse osmosis system for drinking water.

If you want something to worry about, there are 2 nuclear power plants in Southport. One article: https://www.starnewsonline.com/story...ns/6867904002/

Old 08-23-2021, 10:54 AM

With your interest in natural healing and alternative medicine, you might be happier in Asheville, NC.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
With your interest in natural healing and alternative medicine, you might be happier in Asheville, NC.
These are a few years old, but they are examples of what I mean.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...eville-nc.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...sit-scout.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...asheville.html

Old 08-23-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Hi, I love Asheville, but traffic is terrible, very expensive, not many jobs and the winters are harsh. But, thanks anyway! I have close friends living in the Little River/N.Myrtle area so it would be nice to live close to them.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:57 PM

926 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
There is supposedly a fluorocarbon called GenX in the water in some parts of the Wilmington area. The local water companies are addressing it. You can find some detailed article if you search the Coastal NC forum on "water quality".

Personally, I think the concerns with water are much exaggerated. One can install a reverse osmosis system for drinking water.

If you want something to worry about, there are 2 nuclear power plants in Southport. One article: https://www.starnewsonline.com/story...ns/6867904002/
FYI, there's only one nuclear power plant in S'port, same as always. I agree the GenX concerns are overblown.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:03 PM

926 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL13 View Post
Hi, I love Asheville, but traffic is terrible, very expensive, not many jobs and the winters are harsh. But, thanks anyway! I have close friends living in the Little River/N.Myrtle area so it would be nice to live close to them.
I agree with goldenage's suggestion of Asheville. But if its not for you then of course thats all good. I would point out that the first 3 negatives you have regarding Asheville are more or less true of Wilmington too. And while winters in A'ville are harsh, so are summers down here. But coming from FL you're no doubt acclimated to that.

I don't know what your definition of "very often" is in regard to the occurrence of hurricanes, but we have had several in the past 3 years or so. You need a place to evacuate to.

Overall, I think its a great area. You just have to structure your life so it fits the town.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I agree with goldenage's suggestion of Asheville. But if its not for you then of course thats all good. I would point out that the first 3 negatives you have regarding Asheville are more or less true of Wilmington too. And while winters in A'ville are harsh, so are summers down here. But coming from FL you're no doubt acclimated to that.

I don't know what your definition of "very often" is in regard to the occurrence of hurricanes, but we have had several in the past 3 years or so. You need a place to evacuate to.

Overall, I think its a great area. You just have to structure your life so it fits the town.
Thanks so much for the info!

Old 08-29-2021, 03:07 PM

125 posts, read 122,077 times
I left Wilmington in 2008 because I couldn’t buy a good paying job. I had spent the previous 4 years doing nothing trying to find something decent 50k+ Salary. I hope it’s changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina