Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 04:56 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times

Advertisements

Pretty broad question. We are looking at a move to a coastal area, about 20 minute drive to a nice beach. Wife is concerned about being near hospitals, police and fire, I would say in that order. I have looked at real estate listings and expand the map showing the location, none seem to have any services nearby ?....any reccomendations on where to search for a home ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 AM

922 posts, read 751,176 times
I'm not sure I understand the concern about police and fire services. Everywhere has those. If you're in a unincorporated area, you'll have the county sheriff providing police services, and most likely volunteer fire departments providing fire protection. If you're in a municilaity, it will generally provide those services. Speaking specifically for Brunswick County, the VFDs provide a high level of service and professionalism...its not just a bunch of yahoos with a hose.

You can use Google maps to search for hospital locations, or just do a google search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

Old 12-23-2021, 07:06 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Agree with Owen Wister, that you probably used the wrong search terms instead of Sheriff and VFD. Brunswick County has 2 hospitals in Southport and Bolivia. For specialty care, New Hanover Regional (now Novant) in Wilmington is excellent. Jacksonville also has an adequate hospital. The Grand Strand Medical center in Myrtle Beach might also be an option.

Our experience is that we are now driving significantly further to get medical care than we did in the more urban area in Maryland where we were before. That is a trade-off you should understand before you move to the NC beach area.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Where along the coast are you looking? The coastline of NC is 300+ miles long.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Where along the coast are you looking? The coastline of NC is 300+ miles long.
Looking anywhere between Southport and Calabash. My brother in Calabash had an incident where he needed to call an ambulance and rushed to the hospital, my sister in law said it was a 45 minute drive....response was quick, but a 45 minute ride ?. We might be looking for a Unicorn, we are used to 3 major supermarkets in a 3 mile radius, police 5 miles, hospital 5 miles, firehouse 1 mile, yet live in a very nice nieghborhood, just can't swing the expense in retirement to stay.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'm not sure I understand the concern about police and fire services. Everywhere has those. If you're in a unincorporated area, you'll have the county sheriff providing police services, and most likely volunteer fire departments providing fire protection. If you're in a municilaity, it will generally provide those services. Speaking specifically for Brunswick County, the VFDs provide a high level of service and professionalism...its not just a bunch of yahoos with a hose.

You can use Google maps to search for hospital locations, or just do a google search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina
Thanks for the link

Old 12-23-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Looking anywhere between Southport and Calabash. My brother in Calabash had an incident where he needed to call an ambulance and rushed to the hospital, my sister in law said it was a 45 minute drive....response was quick, but a 45 minute ride ?. We might be looking for a Unicorn, we are used to 3 major supermarkets in a 3 mile radius, police 5 miles, hospital 5 miles, firehouse 1 mile, yet live in a very nice nieghborhood, just can't swing the expense in retirement to stay.
Southport has a hospital, police, fire station, 3 grocery stores, specialty shops, beautiful neighborhoods, tons of great restaurants, etc., etc.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:20 PM

And just to follow up on goldenege's post, for the area you're considering there are hospitals in Myrtle Beach, Supply/Bolivia, Southport and Wilmington. Myrtle Beach and Supply/Bolivia are each about 30 minutes from Calabash.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:40 PM

Thank you all for the respones, much appreciated. Enjoy your holiday

Old 12-23-2021, 08:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
You might consider New Bern.

Very good hospital, two good medical groups. Top notch dermatologist.

Today it’s probably 45 minutes to an hour to the beach, but that will improve with the significant upgrade under way on US-70.

New Bern has some pretty big water if boating kayaking are important, Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina