Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times

Advertisements

Looking in Southport, Leland, Ocean Isle Beach, Calabash but open to other coastal towns or anywhere up to 45 min from the beach. Preferably south of Wrightsville. Interested in quaint towns with local shops & restaurants like a town square feel. Walkability, holiday gatherings in the community, people & pets out and about, farmers markets. Do not want to be near big box stores or strip malls. Where should I consider? Finding homes & amenities we like in places like Compass Pointe, Riverlights, River Sea but would love to better understand the surrounding towns. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 02:12 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Southport is probably the only place that meets your criteria. You might also look north at Beaufort and also at Carolina Beach. Wilmington also has a walkable riverfront shopping area. Beach towns have historically never had enough of a permanent population to develop the "quaint" shops or the town festivals. Strip malls and big box store are the primary mode of retail all over the North Carolina coast.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-26-2022 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 04:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I agree Southport is what you want.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:50 AM

922 posts, read 752,070 times
Southport.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:48 PM

176 posts, read 239,824 times
Definitely Southport

Old 01-29-2022, 04:48 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Southport.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:03 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,446 times
South of Wrightsville you're pretty much limited to Southport but I'd probably throw in Calabash as well. They've got a nice little developed shopping/restaurant area and no big box stores being eye sores. If you broadened your search to north of Wrightsville it'd open up more possibilities as that's the area I'm currently looking in myself.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:24 AM

300 posts, read 476,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by know&goAJ View Post
Looking in Southport, Leland, Ocean Isle Beach, Calabash but open to other coastal towns or anywhere up to 45 min from the beach. Preferably south of Wrightsville. Interested in quaint towns with local shops & restaurants like a town square feel. Walkability, holiday gatherings in the community, people & pets out and about, farmers markets. Do not want to be near big box stores or strip malls. Where should I consider? Finding homes & amenities we like in places like Compass Pointe, Riverlights, River Sea but would love to better understand the surrounding towns. Thanks!!

Just a suggestion, I would go further south to Georgetown, SC. Beautiful historical area dating back to pre Revolutionary War. It is a lot more expensive than Southport, but the entire area from Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island to Georgetown is beautiful. It would be worth your time to explore the area. JMO.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:32 PM

922 posts, read 752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Just a suggestion, I would go further south to Georgetown, SC. Beautiful historical area dating back to pre Revolutionary War. It is a lot more expensive than Southport, but the entire area from Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island to Georgetown is beautiful. It would be worth your time to explore the area. JMO.
Really? Are you sure about that? Hard to believe that Georgetown proper is a "lot" more expensive than Southport proper. 900 sf bungalows are over $500K in S'port.

As an aside, I visited Georgetown a year or so ago and didn't find it very appealing. The areas surrounding the historic area are very rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina