Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2022, 03:40 PM

164 posts, read 112,770 times

Advertisements

How is cell phone and otherwise internet reception in coastal North Carolina? Are there areas that are better than others? Would like to know from areas of Brunswick county Sunset beach to Beaufort. Also internet in homes. Are some towns and companies better than others? Do you often have glitches? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 03:58 PM

922 posts, read 751,176 times
You'll be fine. Just wait until you decide where you'll end up and find out who's best there. In my area (Southport) Verizon is the best cellphone (including MVNOs, one of which I use) and Spectrum is the only choice, but ATMC (now branded as Focus) is much better if its available. But thats Southport, other places are different.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:52 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
I think the ATMC (or Focus) is the only fiber optic Internet service in the area you mentioned. We have Spectrum, and it is decent for the needs of two retired people. If you need Internet for work, then check out where Focus is available.

There are places where the cellphone coverage is weak, like the Holly Shelter Gamelands. That is very rural, and there are few houses nearby. If you stick to the well-populated cities, you will be OK. I use Consumer Cellular because it is the cheapest. I get 4G service, and I don't know of anyplace on the coast with 5G service. Durham and Raleigh have 5G servcie.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:21 PM

922 posts, read 751,176 times
Thanks Goldenage, I left out the part about Spectrum and Focus being internet and cable providers (although Spectrum also offers cell phone service that I know nothing about). I hate Spectrum with a passion.

Focus doesn't go anywhere near Beaufort, which I why my suggestion is to pick a location and then find who's best. Most places (except for pockets of ruralness, like Goldenage pointed out) will have decent service.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
We have Focus in Sunset Beach/OIB and service is good, not as good as FIOS but decently reliable. Husband still works remotely so relies on it.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
As far as cellphone coverage goes, I've got both a Verizon and TMobile phone I carry all the time and for the most part both have good service anywhere I've been in Brunswick, or as far north as Washington NC. My TMo phone had very limited data service in the downtown portion of Southport, Verizon has issues between Whiteville/Shallotte but has improved a little there but really aside from that I can't think of anywhere I've had issues with data/service on cell.

Our house on OIB has what was ATMC service for cable TV and internet and it's been solid. Recently just went all digital with it in the house and no complaints so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina