Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 04:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times

Advertisements

Pines are native trees and wonderful. I have no problem with them. If you don't like them you can remove them, but they are supposed to be here in NC. Loblollies will do great in Onslow. If you prefer something else look at Yaupon Holly (native) or one of our native oaks. Atlantic White Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) could be good, too, if your site is wetter. Magnolias do well too. Check out NC State's Plant Toolbox for ideas. https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/find_a_p...nt_type__id=18

Personally, I would not remove a pine tree just for the crime of being a pine tree. Native North Carolinian here, lived through many a storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 08:57 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
So we had our property cleared for building. There are about 10 tallish pines 40’ along the property line. Am I better off taking them down or leaving them up.? This is in Onslow Co.
Take them down.

I can blow off all pine needle EVERY DAY from my neighbors trees.

They pile up wher ypur windshield wipers are.

If not removed often can clog up the water drain at your windshield and overflow into your car.

Plus all the pine twigs that contently fall

The pine sap is impossible to get out of the concrete driveway.

In the spring you get a light lime powder that turns yellow when wet. It gets onto EVERYTHING!

Old 09-07-2022, 06:26 PM

327 posts, read 602,737 times
If you cut them down, leave some of the stump. The remaining sap cures after about 10 years and becomes flammable. It's known as "fatwood." Makes good kindling for starting fires.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:56 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Jeez...why cut down perfectly good trees? I'm not a tree-hugger by any stretch, but OP doesn't give a lot of reason for it. The shade, water absorption, etc...To say they twist apart in hurricanes...Every tree does given enough time.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:06 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
thanks LLn. I think that was the answer I am looking for,
Of course it was.

Quote:
It wouldnt hit our house, but neighboring lot is being cleared out. Not as large as ours. Im not sure where their house will go.

No HOA here. I can leave or take as many trees off property as I please.
You need to check the Onslow County codes for tree removal and replanting. I'm not going to look for you but seeing the location of the County it may very well have some interesting ordinances and requirements for trees.

As a note loblollies were used for masts on sailing ships for a couple centuries.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:02 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Of course it was.

You need to check the Onslow County codes for tree removal and replanting. I'm not going to look for you but seeing the location of the County it may very well have some interesting ordinances and requirements for trees.

As a note loblollies were used for masts on sailing ships for a couple centuries.
I could be mistaken but I've never heard of much as far as laws against removing trees anywhere in North Carolina.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:47 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I could be mistaken but I've never heard of much as far as laws against removing trees anywhere in North Carolina.
That's what I don't know, that's why I said to check. As the County is coastal and has some tidal waters I wouldn't be surprised if there are some limits.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:03 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's what I don't know, that's why I said to check. As the County is coastal and has some tidal waters I wouldn't be surprised if there are some limits.
I dunno. we already had over an acre of land cleared of trees. The border of the. next lot is litereally a single file of pine. Pines like and thrive in clusters not in single file formation. They are known to come down, or so I have read. This is why I am asking the Native NC'ers their thoughts. I dont really care if something is legal or not, pertaining to trees. I will take them down if safety is a concern and-pay the fine.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:34 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
This comes from Scientific American website:

"The susceptibility to wind varies greatly between conifers (pines) and hardwoods (oak, maple, birch). Pines are taller; they concentrate their foliage on the top of the tree sticking up and out above other trees, so catch the wind and act as even larger levers. They are shallow rooted.”

Old 09-11-2022, 10:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I’m 99.9% sure it is legal to cut down the pines. I have never heard of not being able to do that in NC, but they soak up a LOT of water so you may have more issues with flooding depending on the lay of your land. I’m a native NC-er going waaaaay back and peronally I would not be concerned about pines. They are pretty limber. I have seen many an oak tree uprooted in a hurricane too. If you’re gonna cut the pines you might as well just have no trees. Gonna be real hot though with no shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina