Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
The only rental company I've used is Stan White and they were fine. They all seem to have similar policies.
Totally disagree on both counts. We used them 3 times and twice they sucked. Badly. They also have one of the highest fees of all the rental places, and their customer service was a joke. FWIW

I'd recommend Joe Lamb or Sun Realtors offhand, they were fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM

362 posts, read 995,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Ok, I'm all nervous now. I booked a place! LOL So we're sort of committed. It's in Avon and I hope everyone likes it.
You will love it!! There is a Food Lion in Avon which is convenient. Also not far is the Gingerbread House bakery in Buxton I think. If you like Gingerbread it is very good. Heading towards Hatteras there is a great ice cream place called Uncle Eddy's. They also have a little mini golf course there. The ice cream is delicious! There is an amusement type park in Rodanthe which is heading back towards Nags Head. All sorts of go kart rides for different ages. I know there is a website that has a list of what's happening while you are there. I will try to find it. So many things to do. I could go on and on. If you want more info let me know.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM

362 posts, read 995,139 times
Don't know how to do the edit thing. The website is The Outer Banks of North Carolina® Official Site - Visitors Bureau

Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
Thank you! Hubby wanted someplace really really quiet as did I, but I also know the kids will want some distractions (such as mini-golf and rides)--something I associate with Ocean City NJ; growing up I always went to Avalon NJ (QUIET) and we went to OC or even Atlantic City (it was nicer then) for entertainment. After research and questions and great help from you guys here, I think Avon will fit the bill.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times
Default Avon

We stayed in Avon before and loved it. We were on the sound side of the beach - but it was a short walk to the beach - we walked with our 3 year olds. Maybe 2 blocks. That part of the island is quite narrow. If you decide to drive - there is no fee for parking. There are multiple places along the beach where you can pull off the side of the road and park to access the beach. Also, there is a fishing peir in Avon where you should be able to park and go down to the beach.

It is only a short drive norh to Rodanthe (maybe 15 min) they have go carts, bungee jumping etc there. Also, it is about the same distance south to Buxton - this is where th Hatteras lighthouse is. There are 2 putt -putt courses there. There is a larger one further south maybe in Frisco (I'm not sure where the line is there).

If you and your husband are up for a night out alone - there is a fabulous Bed and Breakfast in Buxton - [url=http://www.innonpamlicosound.com/]Hatteras Bed and Breakfast - The Inn On Pamlico Sound[/url] - they offer dining to the public for dinner - the food is amazing - they have a 5 star chef cooking for them.

I saw that someone recommended the Orange Blossom for breakfast - the food is great there! It is in Buxton also.

If you venture up to the Nags Head area during your stay - I would definately have lunch or dinner at Bassnights on the causeway into Manteo.

Manteo is also a quite place - probably 45 min or so from Avon. They have a tour of the lost colony and a museum there that traces the history of Nags Head. I have been going to Nags Head since I was a child, but I had never done this tour. My husband and I went for our aniverary last year and really enjoyed learning about our favorite vacation spot.

The trip to Orakoke is also fun. It really is a little fishing island there. They have several spots you can drive out on the beach if you have a 4wd vehicle. If you do but you have never driven on the sand - keep in mind you may need to let some air out of your tires. Esp if you get stuck - that is the 1st thing to do. If the sand is soft we always let the tire pressure out. I hear Howard's Pub there has great food. I have never eaten there though.

I could probably go on forever. We love the OBX and just got back Monday from a weekend trip.

OH - Norfolk international airport is the closest. It is a 2 hr drive easy from AVON - may be 2.5 hrs. There is a small airport in Manteo but I'm not sure if you can fly into it. My friend's parents have a house in Duck and my friend always flies into Norfolk and his parents pick him up although they have family here.

If you come down 64 - you will pass the exit for the airport (unless you take 664) so you should be able to judge how long the ride will take. Speaking of which - if you come 64 E and the Hampton Roads Bride Tunnel is backed up. Take the exit for 664 S and you can jump back on 64W for a few miles and then get on the bypass to Nags Head (this route usually has way less traffic esp in the summer).

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,289 times
NCHomes....where are you from exactly in NJ? We just moved here last year from Marmora/O.C. area.
Born and raised

Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 AM

I'm from Philadelphia, not NJ. Spent many summers down the shore though.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:55 PM

347 posts, read 933,995 times
NCHOMES are you staying in Avon? We love Hatteras Island. No fast food. We have stayed in Rodanthe Waves and Salvo and a couple times in Avon. Avon worked out best since the only Food Lion is located there. We had a house at the northern end of Avon and we could get both sunrise ansd sunset from the top deck, even though we were about thre houses back from the beach.

Be sure to check out the Ferry to Ocracroke, Go down and see the windsurfers at the Canadian Hole, See the light house, but most of all, dont fret if you dont get to do everything. Just relax, it is one of the greatest places to go for a week.

It was also really cool to go the last week of August because it was mid season and the rates went down. We lived in Va and School was in for NC but not up in VA.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks plf86. Yup, I reserved a house in Avon for the last full week of August. I liked a less expensive 3 bedroom place, but hubby liked a 4 bedroom place that was about $50 more for the week so I caved and said ok.

Outer Beaches Realty has a community pool and unfortunately, this was one of the few properties that did NOT include the pool pass. But it seems relatively reasonable for day use fees.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
You will like Avon it like staying in a small town without the huge crowds so plenty of beach space you dont have to worry about throwing sand on someone.

Here are some suggestions of things to do

Here is some additional ideas .
Corolla
Take a 4x4 beach wild horse tour
Visit the Corolla Lighthouse
Visit the Whalehead Club
Visit Corolla estuary North Carolina Reserve and view the beautiful area where fresh water and ocean mix and the wildlife in the area. Also you will go through the forest on a boardwalk.

Kill Devil Hills
Wright Brothers National Memorial
Located on the site of the Wright Brothers' first controlled powered flight in Kill Devil Hills

Nags Head
Jockey's Ridge State Park is a fascinating 420-acre park and recreational area where visitors are able to explore the highest sand dunes on the entire Atlantic coast.

Roanoke Sound Estuary
Kayaking,
windsurfing
hang gliding
parasailing
kite boarding

Roanoke Island

Manteo is a charming coastal village and the seat of government for Dare County. Wander along quaint streets, explore unique shops and dine on the waterfront in this delightful village, located on the eastern side of Roanoke Island. From April though December, First Friday celebrations each month provide a festival-like atmosphere with entertainment and more.

maritime museum
One of three maritime museum sites in the state, the North Carolina Maritime Museum at Manteo explores North Carolina's rich maritime history and culture.

Fort Raleigh include history and nature trails, the Waterside Theater where The Lost Colony outdoor drama is performed and the Elizabethan Gardens (only during summer months)

Aquarium
Featuring indoor and outdoor exhibits, hands on activities and a variety of special programs,

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Island
fishing, exploring nature, camping, boating, windsurfing, hunting

Bodie Island Lighthouse
Oregon Inlet fishing center one of the largest and most modern fishing fleet on the eastern seaboard. Great place to kayak
Pea Island refuge best areas for birding and enjoying nature.
Explore (by foot or bike is best) Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Hatteras, Frisco. Very cool small beach communities with mom & pop type shops and restaurants
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Ocracoke Island
miles of clean beaches, abundant wildlife, quaint village and connection to Blackbeard
Ocracoke village
Ocracoke lighthouse
you will have to ride a ferry to view the island

Cape Lookout Lighthouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina