Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,546 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I have searched the forum for information about Ocean Isle Beach but can't find anything more recent. We are thinking about buying a lot in the community but I'm concerned about some of the past comments as well as the crime statistics I have found online. I would love some input about the area and the community itself. We are empty nesters who are thinking ahead to our retirement and trying to find a town close to the beach that is moderately priced. I would love a community full of amenities which is what caught my eye about Ocean Ridge (especially the community beach ocean access). Bonus if anyone has experience building on a lot and what to expect price-wise. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 06:18 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Look for posts by MissNancy and JerseyJ. I also requested that your post be moved to the Coastal North Carolina Subforum for better answers.

Regarding crime, separate out the burglaries in vacant and unfinished houses. I would be the other crime stats are very small.

For land listings, I suggest using carolinaplantations.com. Some of the very inexpensive lots do not have complete amenities. (Check for JerseyJ comments.) Some of the lots also have yard maintenance included by the HOA. This is one example of the yard maintenance section which is attractive to me: https://www.carolinaplantations.com/...sbury-court-sw

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-16-2023 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-16-2023, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you so much (especially for moving my post). This was my first time posting so I'm not surprised I messed it up. . When you say amenities aren't included in the lower priced lots, do you mean the cost of the amenities is not included, which is why the prices are so low? Do you know how much per month the amenities cost, by chance? The one you showed me is one of the ones we were looking at, so thank you!

Old 05-16-2023, 05:47 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesherman23 View Post
..... When you say amenities aren't included in the lower priced lots, do you mean the cost of the amenities is not included, which is why the prices are so low? Do you know how much per month the amenities cost, by chance? The one you showed me is one of the ones we were looking at, so thank you!
There was a section called Jaguar's Lair which was never finished, due to misconduct by the previous developer. I suggest avoiding any lot that costs less than $20,000 because there are problems it is too complicated for me to explain. Stick with lots in the well-developed sections, where you will see other builders working on new homes. The lots with yard maintenance included naturally will have a higher HOA fee. I have not kept up with the fees, but some of the Realtor lot listings will be up to date.

There is some history here if you want to read it. https://www.city-data.com/forum/coas...eviews-10.html

Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesherman23 View Post
Hello Everyone. I have searched the forum for information about Ocean Isle Beach but can't find anything more recent. We are thinking about buying a lot in the community but I'm concerned about some of the past comments as well as the crime statistics I have found online. I would love some input about the area and the community itself. We are empty nesters who are thinking ahead to our retirement and trying to find a town close to the beach that is moderately priced. I would love a community full of amenities which is what caught my eye about Ocean Ridge (especially the community beach ocean access). Bonus if anyone has experience building on a lot and what to expect price-wise. Thanks so much!
After years of research vacations we bought a lot in Ocean Ridge and built our home in 2017. I must say we have not heard of much theft in the neighbourhood other than domestic help and construction workers. We have a lot of amenities but they are aging now and have frequent issues, the plantation is now about 25 years old.

It is perfectly situated between MB and Wilmington and has a beach house (with private parking) that the developer sold to us. That is one of the best assets of the neighbourhood.
We are in the beginning stages of building a new amenity center that was originally promised by the developer. So far the cost is about 13MM, without any shovels in the ground, so our HOA fees will likely increase significantly.
Although we love it here we are worried about the developer who continues to be involved and has control of the golf courses.
Building costs here are now about 350/sq foot and there are few resales.
Any questions, just shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina