Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 02:55 PM

34 posts, read 26,726 times

Advertisements

Coming in August to check out local towns. (Other thread went way off on a non-relavant tangent)
Giving a bunch of info, but, looking for perhaps direction to help itinerize the 4 day trip to best utilize the time.

Areas of interest are:
Southport
Wilmington
Boiling springs
Leland
Bolivia
Supply
Shallotte
Carolina Shores
Calabash

I've ruled out Hampstead, Holly Ridge, Swansboro and Beaufort for this trip. During our initial drive around in May, we were very underwhelmed with New Bern and the Jacksonville area. And areas closer to Virgina Beach don't seem to fit our needs from the research and interactions we've encountered.

Figure I'll check Wilmington and south this trip. Friend and I are coming to investigate and have some fun while we are there. Hubby and I will go back in November for, hopefully, a more specific area, or perhaps, to do the northern section again, if something doesn't grab me this time in the southern part.

LOVED Southport when we were there. Intend to spend some time there.
Price range will be up to low 400s.
Want to be 20 mins max to beach. Prefer an older, established area with natural, mature landscaping. A 3/2 split type of house strong enough for the weather, maybe in a no/low flood zone (if that exists, but doubtful)
Close to amenities, and love the little shops and artsy stuff we saw in Southport.

My biggest questions are**:

**Where would be the best place to stay while there scoping out the above towns? A hotel in Wilmington? Air bnb to get a more homie feel? We will be staying 3 nights this time.

**Also, what would be the best way to split time in those areas, and routes to take to get the best "feel" we can while there?

I'm sure we will check out Wilmington, as hubby and I did not do that last time we were there, and I know there's a ton to do. Suggestions for 2 retired, fun loving ladies?

We will peruse Southports shops etc, as we basically kept going back to Oak Island our last trip nights for dinners.

**Know nothing and have not been thru any of the other towns. Any helpful suggestions/Input for checking them out?

Any helpful input knowledgeable folks can offer to help get a true feel is greatly appreciated.

Background info:
Hubby and I sold our 14 acre horse farm in NH in 2020 when he lost his job due to Covid changes. We had a 5 year retirement plan that became a right now plan.Also, all the years of work took a major toll on both of us.
Moved to Florida, where fellow horse friends were, with 2 of our horses, only to have MANY things fall apart, especially, a horrible accident that's pretty much ended my riding days, or ever owning any in my backyard again. Made peace with that. I'm sure I'll be riding again once I get settled in our retirement home, but, Florida is NOT for us.
NC is an easy ride to family in Virginia, so, we want to put our final retirement roots down there. Be near the beach, activities, music, dining, shopping, and other fun loving retirees.

Things that have mattered:
bugs in NH were HORRENDOUS most months of the year. You couldn't trial ride or work outside without a net for the noseeums and TONS of biting flies, hornets, wasps etc.
The weather changing temps drastically was hard to adjust to.
We were in a VERY remote area; 30 minutes to grocery stores, no place to congregate and meet people easily. Do not want that again.
But, it was gorgeous (I'll never have that scenery again, hence my desire to be near the beach, it's my other happy place) tons of wildlife (again, blessed to have had it, I know that it will never be the same) and the privacy was awesome (once I got used to it, and I know I won't have it to that level again)

In Florida, the bugs are big, and icky/creepy lol, but, NOTHING like in NH. We do not have nearly the biting bugs, flying annoyances, etc. Yes, the spiders are as big as my hand as are the palmetto bugs, but they don't bother me. Neither do the snakes, altho we have to be careful for our dogs.
The humidity and heat last WAY too long, it's like living in a sponge, and I miss some change of season, but will never go back to snow land again.
The winters here are lovely but, I love a good brisk day, so, more of the colder temps are ok by us.
We are in a very depressed area, lots of closed stores, low income scary neighborhoods, tons of homeless camps, and don't want that again. Our development is lovely, and safe, they are all 1 acre lots, but not very private, so, next time, we would like something with trees and not on top of neighbors, maybe 1/2 to 1/5 acre, hence looking for older established communities.

That's a ton of info I know.
Hope I can get some insight on the best way to "tour the towns" from those in the know.
Thanks a million for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 06:28 PM

922 posts, read 752,070 times
I'd suggest staying in S'port since its very centrally located. Its 30-45 minutes from downtown Wilmington and an hour from Calabash. Wilmington/Leland one day, BSL/Supply/Bolivia the next, and Shallotte/Carolina Shores/Calabash the next.

Things to do in Wilmington:https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html

https://travel.usnews.com/Wilmington_NC/Things_To_Do/

In S'port, go to Provision Company for dinner and American Fish Co. for a drink and live music.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'd suggest staying in S'port since its very centrally located. Its 30-45 minutes from downtown Wilmington and an hour from Calabash. Wilmington/Leland one day, BSL/Supply/Bolivia the next, and Shallotte/Carolina Shores/Calabash the next.

Things to do in Wilmington:https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html

https://travel.usnews.com/Wilmington_NC/Things_To_Do/

In S'port, go to Provision Company for dinner and American Fish Co. for a drink and live music.
Thank you SO much for this!

Old 07-10-2023, 08:17 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondgrl View Post

My biggest questions are**:

**Where would be the best place to stay while there scoping out the above towns?.........
There are several chain hotels along the highway in Southport. I suggest avoiding the Wingate, as husband stayed there and hated it. I don't know the others, but suggest checking the ratings on Google. There are also B&B's, but they may be hard to get a reservation for as they are small.

I agree with Owen Wister's suggested groupings of towns. However, I think you are wasting your time with anything except Southport, given your criteria. The reason I say that is that the majority of housing in Calabash, Bolivia, etc is in planned developments with HOA's. You seem to be looking for "neighborhoods" with organic character, not planned developments. Unless you must have the HOA swimming pool, tennis and golf, etc, then you should not be looking at developments. The town centers in Calabash, Bolivia and Shalotte are minimal, as I described in my previous post.

BTW, bugs are everywhere in coastal NC. However, the county does spray for bugs, and you can have your house and yard treated by a contractor. Your best defense is to find a house with a screened porch and a ceiling fan.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-10-2023 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-11-2023, 05:30 AM

327 posts, read 603,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondgrl View Post
bugs in NH were HORRENDOUS most months of the year. You couldn't trial ride or work outside without a net for the noseeums and TONS of biting flies, hornets, wasps etc.
I can tell you this, it's no different here in NC. As a horse owner/trail rider myself, you might as well forget riding in the summer in eastern NC. Most people around here go to the mountains to ride in the summer, it's not as bad there. You can ride comfortably late September through early June.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:45 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
I know it is too early to be looking at specific houses, but you might like these in Carolina Shores and Calabash. They are in established neighborhoods with trees but no sidewalks. The HOA fees are minimal. The flood risk is minimal. These houses could use some modernizing, but are livable, as is. The town amenities would be in Calabash, and the beach would be Ocean Isle Beach or Cherry Grove Beach in Little River, SC. The best medical care might be in North Myrtle.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...m=srp-map-list
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7?from=srp-map
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1?from=srp-map

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-11-2023 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-11-2023, 07:57 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
I would suggest an AirB&B instead of a hotel to get you a feel for the place. I think there are a few in Southport. Wilmington has a number of them as well, there is a new one in Pine Valley I know of. Maybe a night in one and two nights in another.

Southport and Wilmington are two distinctly different areas.

Southport is a small charming coastal town next to the beach and a ferry ride to Kure Beach and Fort Fisher.

Wilmington is a Historic, regional coastal city with easy access to Wrightsville Beach. While in Wilmington, I would suggest shopping at Mayfaire, having lunch at Oceanic, and then going downtown to stroll on the Riverwalk.

The rest of the cities on your list are options to live depending on which location you like best. Do you want easy access to Southport or easy access to Wilmington. Boiling Springs biggest draw is easy access to both. But I don't get a sense of community there. Prices are good though. People are choosing Leland at a high rate because of its proximity to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
I can tell you this, it's no different here in NC. As a horse owner/trail rider myself, you might as well forget riding in the summer in eastern NC. Most people around here go to the mountains to ride in the summer, it's not as bad there. You can ride comfortably late September through early June.
That sounds like a dream! We could happily ride from October til April in NH. However, as I stated, my riding days, if any, are no time soon, if ever, so, not a huge deal. But thanks for the input

Old 07-11-2023, 08:12 AM

Great, thanks so much for your input

Old 07-11-2023, 08:32 AM

If I didn't already, thanks for the helpful info HP91!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina