Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,065 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 28 year old female looking to relocate to the N.C. coastal region. I was just looking for some general information that anyone could provide. I am in need of change and this area looks pretty ideal for me. Any and all info. you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kristen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:04 PM

39 posts, read 241,986 times
What part of NC appeals most to you?

Big concerns, of course, are affordable housing and year-round employment.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
I am looking around Beaufort, New Bern or any area near a beach really. I like the old historic towns, with that small town feel. As far as employment, I am in nursing, so I wouldn't think that it would difficult in finding employment, but please let me know if I am wrong in this. As far as housing goes, I am looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom reasonable apartment. It can be in a complex or old house. Thanks for responding.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 35,421 times
Have you thought about Greenville, Our medical facility is really good. We are 1 1/2 hours fromAtlantic Beach and 2 hours fromWilmington. Great for a day trip or for the weekend. If you have not moved let me know and I would be glad to send you some information on the area.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
We moved to New Bern a year ago and think it is great. However, about all I do is fish, and my wife is very active in the Church. I think younger folks are frustrated with a lack of things to do. Our mall is awful...can't sugar coat that, but Morehead City is booming with some nice big box stores as is Jacksonville, both within an hour. My daughters go to mall in Greenville, or to Triangle Town Centre, in Raleigh, just a bit over two hours.

New Bern has several historic districts. The one downtown is High Dollar. We are in RIverside, about 1/2 mile north of downtown. It is in transition, with it getting better every day. There are still some shabby houses here, but we push hard, through an active Riverside group for ownership and restoration.

If you decide to look in New Bern, consider Riverside.

lln

Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
HI! I'm 29 and looking to move to the Wilmington area from PA. Have you found out much info? unfortunately I am going to have a harder time finding a job then you are. I am looking for smaller town life on the beach but am single and also enjoy having a social life. hoping I can still find that in a small town. From what I heard, I should.
Kate

Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebranch1 View Post
Have you thought about Greenville...
You might want to stay away from Greenville. The crime rate there is fairly high, about twice the national average. The local news rarely goes more than a day without mentioning a violent crime in Greenville. I'm not trying to scare you, but it is worth mentioning.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM

108 posts, read 113,523 times
My husband and I have both recently retired and have moved from Maryland to Winston Salem where we are staying with our son and his family while we look for a place to settle. We also would like to find a nice quiet old fashioned small town to live in(too much to ask for right). We also like to be near the ocean so we could get up early and take a stroll or just sit in the evening to watch the sun set. I would welcome any information.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I would not suggest wilmington, or southport for that matter. southport is a bit too pricey. I think that there are several small towns near the beach up along the crystal coast. there are a couple of great real estate agents on these forums that specialize in that area. I don't know too much about bath, NC, or washington, NC, but those are small towns near the water. new bern might another to consider. not too big, but big enough to provide some entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredElizabeth View Post
My husband and I have both recently retired and have moved from Maryland to Winston Salem where we are staying with our son and his family while we look for a place to settle. We also would like to find a nice quiet old fashioned small town to live in(too much to ask for right). We also like to be near the ocean so we could get up early and take a stroll or just sit in the evening to watch the sun set. I would welcome any information.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Here is a general post about New Bern I made on another thread. Small town, about an hour of less from beach.
-----------------------------------------------

Our family moved to New Bern last fall. My wife and I love it, our teenage daughters hate New Bern. Though they laugh at the frequent comments about gang activities at the local high school. Their school in Charlotte was much worse, though they never had an issue there, either. Don't let wild talk about gangs at New Bern High worry you.

We live in the Riverside Historic District. You will see New Bern has three historic districts (maybe four). The one downtown is very nice, pristine if you will, but the prices their are still outrageous. The Riverside district is about 3/4 miles north of downtown. We can bike to church, to the bank's ATM and other places. We could walk it, but it is just a bit far for that. Riverside is still in some degree of transition (meaning there are some very nice and a few not so nice houses), but prices for historic homes here are reasonable. We do have a pretty active Historic Riverside Homeowners Association. The other historic district is, I think, Ghent. Right now there are several homes for sale in Riverside, and one of our neighbors in Riverside is one of the top local realtors. She loves to sell homes in our (and her) neighborhood.

Right now the main bridge in to New Bern is closed for construction (If you have GPS it will probably direct you that way..watch the signs instead), and other the main road into town, Broad Street, is also torn up for a very ill advised "lane reduction and tree planting in the medium project" which has most citizens riled up.

As you approach New Bern, though the construction, it is a little grim...but keep on heading down town and you will be pleased when you arrive. There are two hotels on the waterfront, downtown, a Sheraton and ugh...can't remember but it looks pretty nice as well.

New Bern is about 2 1/2 hours from Raleigh, almost all interstate type highway, 45 minutes from Greenville, Morehead City (the beach) and Jacksonville. All of those have malls and big box stores. Our mall, here in New Bern, is pitiful, but we have about all you need otherwise, but my girls go to the above mentioned towns for "real shopping."

New Bern has good, not necessarily great hospital. There are a number of Doctors and Physician groups here. I spent four days there last spring and walked out!

Like many southern towns and cities, there are some undesirable areas sometimes pretty close to nicer areas, but that is the south. If you are afraid of seeing people who do not look like you, stay away, cause we are all in New Bern together! It seems to work well, by the way.

Today, November 2nd, we were on the water about 6 hours fishing. I was in shorts and fishing shirts, my wife was bundled up a big more, but I did get sunburned. You cannot hate fishing in November. New Bern is at the confluence of the Trent River and the Neuse River. Lots of water sports and a world class kayak club. The bridge complex over the rivers is pretty amazing for this size town...your NC tax dollar at work. By the way, one of the candidates for governor is from New Bern. UHMMMMM........

We have a superb restaurant in town, The Chelsea, and a number of other very good ones. You should try the Chelsea while you are here. The theater is active, the community college is very intertwined with the town. My girls think the local movie theater is pretty weak, but I don't go to movies, so I do not care.

There are a number of old, beautiful historic churches in New Bern. We go to Christ Episcopal, which is right downtown. You should check it out, too.

I do not believe the local government is all that sharp (trying to be polite), but that is the case in many small towns.

There are a lot of retirees here, I am not one, yet, and there is not a lot of quality nightlife, though I am not in search of any.

There are also a number of developments farther east on US 70 such as Carolina Colors and Taberna, but to me, New Bern is historic homes, with front porches with light (Carolina Blue) ceilings. You don't get that in the newer areas.

Hope this helps. New Bern is pretty small and may not have all the services you are used to, but we (at least my wife and I) are very, very pleased to be here, and wish we had made the move many years ago.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina