Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,546 times

Advertisements

Odd question for those of you living in Wilmington NC. I am considering moving to Wilmington from Chicago in a few months. I was there this past weekend to check it out. I really liked what I saw but it was difficult to tell what sort of "scene" there is for people like me. I'm sure I was just in the wrong places but all I saw were what seemed to be wealthy republicans or gangster kids (I spent most of the time on the riverfront eating or downtown looking for homes). Are there different neighborhoods where different types of people live? I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly either, but I can tell you what I like; diversity, recycling, music that is not country, art, beaches, tattoos, stopping and talking to the neighbors, etc... I am moving from a neighborhood in Chicago called Wicker park, and although lately it's turning into one large condo unit, it used to be pretty cool (only cold and not near the ocean.....booooooo). Any of you know if there is a similar place in Wilmington with people in there mid/late 20's to mid/late 40's? Or at least an area where there are similar types of people? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 19,585 times
Default I second that notion

I agree - I'm looking for nearly the same things. (looking to relocate spring of 2009).

Second: I own a technology support company - what's the tech industry like in Wilmington specifically. I know the rest of the state, but don't hear many good things re: Wilmington.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM

181 posts, read 486,751 times
I'm not well-informed enough to give you info on neighborhoods, etc.

But I can recommend a great hair salon, The Rockin' Roller: Home - The Rockin' Roller Salon in Wilmington, NC

My hairstylist moved from Raleigh to Wilmington & now works at the RR... I make the pilgrimage a few times a year, because she's so great. But all the stylists there are fabulous, & it has a very edgy, tattooy, unique vibe. You can get a sense from their site (they're also on MySpace). From the things you mentioned, you'd feel very at home there!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,421 times
Wilmington has a variety of people, the majority of the population being white. It sometimes feels like a melting pot considering all of the people that have moved here from the north and other places. It is a small city with a big city vibe. Pretty much anything goes! Most people are laid back and very nice! The music scene is not booming, but you can always find live music on any given night. HOB in Myrtle Beach is a little over an hour away. Greenfield Lake has a new ampitheatre and has showcased some great bands. There are several music festivals held at the beaches and in Wilmington. This is a great area for entrepeneurs, however finding a job is very stressful. If you love water this is the place to be!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM

160 posts, read 790,965 times
Wilmington definately has a diverse population and certainly isn't as conservative as most places in the state but you won't find that "edgey" scene here except in remote locations downtown. Inside the city limits contains mostly yuppies and college students. The outskirts are mostly a mix of local country folks and northern retiree transplants. It is however in my humble opinion by far the best coastal city in NC for anyone between 20 and 40.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,750,322 times
Here is an idea. If you really are into diversity, why don't you embrace what you find in Wilmington, rather than trying to bring Chicago with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina