Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 37,131 times

Advertisements

Good old J'ville. I was stationed there (Lejeune...I was in the Corps) from 1979 to 1983. Lots of great memories I have of that place. I lived off-base for a little while in 1981 on Marie St. in a little trailer. I was so young then. The last time I saw J'ville was when I visited a high school buddy of mine (and an active duty Marine) there in 1987.

I really miss J'ville sometimes. I really need to go back for a visit and make sure I see the Beirut Memorial while I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM

11 posts, read 67,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1960 View Post
Good old J'ville. I was stationed there (Lejeune...I was in the Corps) from 1979 to 1983. Lots of great memories I have of that place. I lived off-base for a little while in 1981 on Marie St. in a little trailer. I was so young then. The last time I saw J'ville was when I visited a high school buddy of mine (and an active duty Marine) there in 1987.

I really miss J'ville sometimes. I really need to go back for a visit and make sure I see the Beirut Memorial while I'm there.
You wouldn't even recognize it....it's grown sooo much since then.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this post. My wife and i are trying to relocate to the Jacksonville / Wilmington area within the next 6 months. Currently I live in a decent sized city in Massachusetts and between the cost of living, cost of houses,our high property taxes, our tolls, our road rage and people who belong in anger management classes we were working two jobs just to make ends meet. I am looking forward to moving to an area that is alot more people friendly. I personally am looking forward to a quieter life and a more laid back and people friendly area for once in my life.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 AM

12 posts, read 34,112 times
Let me just add that no matter where you decide to be, it will be up to you to make it what you want it to be. You can be in one of the most beautiful places on the earth and still be unhappy. It will depend upon you and your attitude, if you look for the best you will get the best and if you look for the worst, you will get that too. So I guess what I am trying to say, is keep an open mind, stay positive and wherever you are, you will be happy. NC is the best as far as I am concerned and there is nothing like Southern Hospitality anywhere in the world.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 AM

32 posts, read 158,031 times
I agree w/ the rest in that living in Jacksonville, you do have to keep an open mind and stay positive about the situation. I've lived there all of my life and just moved to Atlanta b/c I couldn't find a job there. It is a military town that DOES cater to the military, so keep that in mind if you do decide to live there. A few strip clubs on Hwy 17 just before going on Camp Lejeune, they have one public library(off Doris Ave) small indoor mall(on Western Blvd) compared to the Independence Mall in Wilmington, but it is bigger than the one in New Bern; their college (Coastal Carolina Community) is one of the best around, just added a new addition to that; um, there's a lot of shops and stores and car dealerships, b/c like I said, they do cater to the military. For housing a lot of people move toward Swansboro or Southwest/Richlands in the new suburban houses they are building, but if you don't move that far, then you'll probably find you a nice cookie-cutter styled home in Brynn Marr(neighborhood). As far as concerts, nightlife, don't bother. Unless you like the young(and when I say "young" I'm referring to 16 y/o's the bouncers let into the club) then you can go to the Party Zone or Bullie's. If you like the mixed crowd, then you can go to Hooligan's on Saturday or Oliver's or Alexander's(oliver's is in a hotel). They have limited public transportation, called the Jacksonville Transit, no trains only goes certain places and on base, & it cost $1.25 to ride. Crime isn't bad there at all, but JPD has gotten a handle on that since; Anything else you need to know, please just ask, and Good Luck with your move

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

34 posts, read 90,810 times
i may be moving to j'ville too. my husband may be transferred to camp lejeune. btw, someone said its the biggest marine base in the world, its not. camp pendleton in so-cal where we are now is the biggest in the world. lejeune is the biggest on the american east coast...

Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulhawk View Post
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this post. My wife and i are trying to relocate to the Jacksonville / Wilmington area within the next 6 months. I personally am looking forward to a quieter life and a more laid back and people friendly area for once in my life.
You DO have a job lined up, right? NC's unemployment is among the top 6-7 states in the US, and a small place like J'ville, if you aren't military, will likely be worse. It would be hell to live in an area like that with no job, and almost nothing to do, knowing nobody. This is not the time to be moving somewhere--certainly not NC--without a job in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina