Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Twang View Post
I suppose my main problem is that Wilmington has an absolutely pathetic music scene (unless you're into hardcore punk), particularly when you compare to other N.C. towns like Asheville, which is actually smaller by about 20,000 people. I like to fish, but not enough to warrant me staying here.
It might be 20k smaller but Buncombe County is rather large. We've always had a local music scene. In the late 80s/early 90s there were a LOT of singer/songwriters here. Then Be Here Now opened up and changed everything. With the Orange Peel opening and the Grey Eagle moving things haven't been the same since. I love OP since they get such a wide variety of acts. We have a civic center but all they get are jam bands and camping/gun/bridal/gun shows.

One thing that hit me immediately about Wilmywood was the traffic. I hail from Virginia Beach and am used to sitting in traffic. Wilmington was something else. I spent 2 weeks at the Courtyard there (it's near the Walmart). To go to the beach it was easier to head south then it was to go east. Traffic was a mess, parking? Uh, that was unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
I also moved to Wilmington for a year to get away for a while. I loved the beach and downtown, but that was it. It was a pain to drive anywhere and there is only so much you can do there. I do miss it sometimes, but is only 2 hours away to visit.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,646 times
Y'all are crazy. There's plenty to do here. Beach is great for swimming late March-October. You can surf year round. We have a great bar scene--lots of options at the beach and downtown. BEAUTIFUL downtown to shop, eat, drink, or just walk. Great cultural scene. Plenty of art shows, wine tastings, plays, festivals, etc. Beautiful trails to walk and bike on. Mayor Saffo's building even more. Masonboro is always fun for surfing, camping, etc. We have an aquarium, art museum, historic plantations & homes, gardens, all sorts of things to visit.

I love everything about Wilmington except for the traffic (and lack of more mainstream music scene).

Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 85,773 times
After reading all the posts, i'm gonna guess the majority of you guys wouldnt reccomend wilmington to a student from ireland coming over for the summer months?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinssmell View Post
After reading all the posts, i'm gonna guess the majority of you guys wouldnt reccomend wilmington to a student from ireland coming over for the summer months?
if you are wanting to slow down your life cycles and find sweet nothings then Wilmington is good for you.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,596 times
I think there are lots to do. You have the downtown bar scene, bands, concerts, festivals, wine tasteings everwhere, beaches in spring in fall cant be beat, arts, independent film festival, poetry readings, book signings, lectures/famous speakers (I just saw Richard Leavy speak) at the university, museums, historical things, you can be in North Myrtle in an hour, Raleigh in two, Charleston in three hours, golfing. It is what you make of it. There are cultural magazines and online cutural calenders that will show you all that is going on!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM

24 posts, read 124,778 times
Since H.O.B. moved into M.B. and enacted the territorial zones it has limited main-stream acts in Wilmington.
Wilmington has an awesome music scene , if you turn off the radio and open your ears.
The Horror Pops, Flogging Molly, C.D.B. , innumerable bluegrass bands and folk acts are here constantly.
The Firebelly and Mother Fletchers will not rival top billing ( $$$ ) acts but the do have great bands.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 668 times
I moved to Wilmington in February and have been suffering the annoying agony of constantly search for things to entertain myself. The parks are boring and worthless. There is literally NOTHING to do any day of the week. The bar scene isn't really my thing but the few times I've managed to make it out, I was disappointed with the locals being so "southern" in that racial issues and north vs. south mentality is just too dumb for me to be bothered with again. I tried out the comedy club and walked around downtown in the evening but it's definitely not a place for family's or anyone over 30. I would rather gouge my own eyes out with my own fingernails than stay another 6 months in this dreadful town. The jobs are crappy and the wages are a complete joke. The cost of living here is comical. Paying $1300/mo. for "luxury" living which is really just a bunch of hogwash. The apartments have the cheapest quality, most poorly put together, bug infested, horrible layouts I've ever seen. Truly wouldn't recommend EVER waisting a moment of your time in this city or any city in the surrounding 200 miles.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:57 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Do you realize you are responding to a post from 11 years ago?

If you hate it so much in Wilmington, you should move. Seriously, life’s too short to be unhappy.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaprayMarcell View Post
I moved to Wilmington in February and have been suffering the annoying agony of constantly search for things to entertain myself. The parks are boring and worthless. There is literally NOTHING to do any day of the week. The bar scene isn't really my thing but the few times I've managed to make it out, I was disappointed with the locals being so "southern" in that racial issues and north vs. south mentality is just too dumb for me to be bothered with again. I tried out the comedy club and walked around downtown in the evening but it's definitely not a place for family's or anyone over 30. I would rather gouge my own eyes out with my own fingernails than stay another 6 months in this dreadful town. The jobs are crappy and the wages are a complete joke. The cost of living here is comical. Paying $1300/mo. for "luxury" living which is really just a bunch of hogwash. The apartments have the cheapest quality, most poorly put together, bug infested, horrible layouts I've ever seen. Truly wouldn't recommend EVER waisting a moment of your time in this city or any city in the surrounding 200 miles.
Consider going to Airlie Gardens, especially the Concert in the Park on Friday nights. And of course the beaches in Sept when the seasonal crowds are gone.

Downtown is much better in the evening, later at night its a much younger college type crowd. And there are always the restaurants on the ICW at Wrightsville Beach, where you eat outside watching the boats go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina