Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 AM

128 posts, read 628,369 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to NE North Carolina from Virginia Beach. Does anyone have any warnings of what to expect concerning taxes, zonings, etc? Maybe just the difference of living in the 2 states or regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,688 times
I'm headed there myself and am also curious to know what you would have liked to know about the area before you got there, if anyone can share that sort of info.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
I'm headed there myself and am also curious to know what you would have liked to know about the area before you got there, if anyone can share that sort of info.
Where are you headed?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM

144 posts, read 680,338 times
I live in Moyock. I worked for an electrician as a helper for a couple of years and I know that all the contractors complain about the zoning and licensing in Carolina but from what I hear VAB is worse. Worse about zoning and about taxes. NC is quite a bit more rural and you will want to go back to VA to shop. Currituck county at one time was one of the fastest growing counties in NC but prides itself on being able to slow that growth way down. How'd they do it? By making the people's lives who are moving here a big pain. They make every part of building a home difficult if possible, why? Because they don't want to grow. Most of the natives here want it to all stay farmland. They are also the ones that own everything and have the money. I love it here in Moyock, but the local politics are a bear. But what town in the good ole USA isn't? The farther you move into NC from Moyock the more different it becomes from VA.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,514 times
Eb pretty much hit the nail on the head. NC really doesn't want Va commuters.

Its like everyone in NE NC has been travelling to Tidewater for Medical and Shopping services all of their life and have the perception that if they become a bedroom community for Tidewater, they will inherit all of the problems of the 'big' city. Also consider that Currituck County gets all of the north to south traffic to the Outerbanks. Something the locals hate to think about.

Elizabeth City has a little better commute to 'parts' of Tidewater. Of course I was raised there, so I really don't care for it. It would take mighty big bucks for me to tolerate the commute. Then again, it only takes upwards of ten years for the noreasterners to consider you a local .

You need to think long and hard before making this move.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks alot. I've lived in small towns before and know about taking a while to break in. I really want someplace fairly equi-distant between VB and the outer banks. It seems I remember some debate (complaints) about the traffic to and from the beach. When there was talk about a bridge then the complaints became outrage about ruining all of the businesses on the highway. I guess sometimes ya can't win for losing. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 AM

144 posts, read 680,338 times
Bob if you want something equidistant I would consider Moyock to Coinjock. Moyock will be a little more pricey but there is a little more there.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 AM

444 posts, read 1,615,514 times
I think the bridge talk you speak of is to north outerbanks, like Corolla. I am 61 and they have talked about that all of my life. Va and NC have enough battles about water etc. I don't see how they could ever agree about a bridge up that way. Plus today it would be even more complicated with environmental issues and so forth.

Also Bob ... if you have kids involved ... the education system in NC is better than Tidewater. I only say that from personal experience. My parents moved from Elizabeth City to Norfolk briefly when I was a kid. I was 1 year ahead of the Norfolk schools. But, that was a long time ago. So, as in all there is good and bad. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks Ebediel and RedRockAAAA. I checked out parts of Grandy and up to Aydette Sunday and will try for Waterlily and Coinjock later on and then finally up to Moyock. My youngest is 40 yrs old and not living at home.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks again for your response. I am a photographer with a studio in VB. MY interest in NC is to have a home/studio. Would you know of any restrictions in the county for such a venture? I plan to maintain my studio in VB but will probably only visit it about once a week. Regards, bob swanson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
I live in Moyock. I worked for an electrician as a helper for a couple of years and I know that all the contractors complain about the zoning and licensing in Carolina but from what I hear VAB is worse. Worse about zoning and about taxes. NC is quite a bit more rural and you will want to go back to VA to shop. Currituck county at one time was one of the fastest growing counties in NC but prides itself on being able to slow that growth way down. How'd they do it? By making the people's lives who are moving here a big pain. They make every part of building a home difficult if possible, why? Because they don't want to grow. Most of the natives here want it to all stay farmland. They are also the ones that own everything and have the money. I love it here in Moyock, but the local politics are a bear. But what town in the good ole USA isn't? The farther you move into NC from Moyock the more different it becomes from VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina