Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,700,689 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here 4 years ago from No. CA and we're not big (or even small) church goers and we've made scads of friends--some church goers and some not.

Keep in mind that folks are moving to the N. Carolina coast from all over the world, bringing different beliefs with them.

Do keep in mind to come with an open heart, friendliness, being a good neighbor, and smiles and don't talk about what you left behind and you'll be most welcome. Our new friends include locals and people from "off" who relocated here from other places.

North Carolinians are wonderful, warm-hearted people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM

90 posts, read 343,541 times
I totally agree with Dolphin, WE MOVED 10 YEARS AGO AND IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE FROM OTHER STATES ARE HERE. WHAT SHE SAID ABOUT NOT SAYING HOW IT WAS DONE WHERE YOU CAME FROM IS DEFF TRUE. IF YOUR FROM NY, NJ ETC... AND ARE USE TO THE FAST PACE, WELL YOUR GOING TO SLOWWW DOWN. BUT IT IS A NICE CHANGE. THE PEOPLE ON THE COASTAL PART LIKE CURRITUCK ARE NOT PUSHY TOWARDS GETTING YPOU TO GO TO CHURCH, I HAVE CHURCH GOING FRIENDS AND ALSO MANY WHO DO NOT. ONE THING FOR SURE THEY DON'T CURSE LIKE UP NORTH AND DAMIT IS A CURSE DOWN HERE !!! I FOUND THAT OUT, I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT ONLY WAS BAD IF YOU USED GOD IN FRONT OF IT, BUT NOT DOWN HERE. THE KIDS ARE MUCH MORE POLITE. I THINK IF YOUR GPOING TO LIVE IN NC STAY AS CLOSE TO THE WATER SIDE AS YOU CAN. IF YOU GO ALITTLE INLAND THINGS CHANGE. OTHER WISE I WOULD SUGGEST NORTH OF CHARLOTTE . JUST MY 2 CENTS .

Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM

43 posts, read 81,682 times
Nice havingg lots of $$$ to spend. I am a native New Jersey but my family moved to Maryland between Balt and DC when I was 15. It was culture shock then but now Maryland and Northern Va are as bad as north Jersey. I started going to the Outer Banks in the mid-70s and just fell in love. Anthing north of Southern Shores, west of Highway 158 was undeveloped. Most of Hatteras was barely developed as well. Now development has pushed zoning to the max down there. It will never look like Atlantic or Ocean City thank God but I do feel bad for the native North Carolinians who live near the coast. I saw it happen in Maryland and I don't call it progress. Once it is gone it is gone. I realize I became part of the problem when I fell in love with this beautiful, undeveloped place called Duck and later Hatteras. What is a soul to do though? Living in the DC area sucks so I have started looking for jobs along the North Carolina coast. If my wife doesn't want to move ...who cares? She can stay in Maryland. My Dad used to travel to North Carolina back in the 70's on business (he was native Bostonian). He always raved about how nice the people in North Carolina were. Now I go to Hatteras or Beaufort and all I meet is people from New Jersey. Even Bubbas Barbeque is staffed by Spanish-speaking people and they sell Latin food. I hear folks from NC coast warn "northerners about hurricanes...I have been on the Outer Banks twice during hurricanes and it is a scary situation. But not as bad as worrying about your car getting jacked or your son shot at high school. Still when all that rain falls the ground only holds so much water and so the floding can last for weeks...and the mosquitos? Man 3 weeks after a major storm you are one big drive-in restaurant for those mosquitos down there and they are big suckers...look like sparrows in New Jersey. Still I continue to check jobs out down there though the pay levels are not anywhere near as high as Maryland (especially near DC which is recession-proof). I wish you luck in your ventures and please wish me well.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwoods View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a home near or on the beach in North carolina. Where is a nice place to have a home that is not too touristy. I'm concerned about hurricanes but that comes with the territory. A place close to shopping and beach. Also does anyone live further inland and drive to the beach. I would be willing to drive 2 or 3 hours to get to the beach if it means no flooding from bad weather. I live in philly, suburbs now and takes about 2 hours to get to the New Jersey beaches. I just hate the fast pace, over populated **** towns here. And I have a lot of money to spend. Thanks in advance for your help.
Try Hilton Head/Kiawah Island - that would be in South Carolina. I am quite sure you'll be right at home. You be sweet

Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 PM

57 posts, read 197,000 times
Have you looked into the Outer Banks? Kitty Hawk, Corolla, etc? We go up there quite a bit and it is fantastic. Great little quaint towns with cool local beach restaurants, fishing, wild horses running on the beaches.

My in-laws have been there for years and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina