Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times

Advertisements

I posted a few days ago asking for any information on swansboro but didn't get anything. does anyone know anything about this town? Is it similar to Beaufort? Average cost of utilities? Flood insurance? Crime rate? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
I have only visited Swansboro once to attend a showing of Worthy Is the Lamb, an outdoor drama depicting the life of Christ. The town is rather picturesque and with its proximity to the coast just a beautiful place. I don't think it's quite the tourist destination that Beaufort is but is a quieter community with a slower pace. Small town living with coastal ammenities, sounds pretty great to me.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddoc View Post
I have only visited Swansboro once to attend a showing of Worthy Is the Lamb, an outdoor drama depicting the life of Christ. The town is rather picturesque and with its proximity to the coast just a beautiful place. I don't think it's quite the tourist destination that Beaufort is but is a quieter community with a slower pace. Small town living with coastal ammenities, sounds pretty great to me.
Thank you for your post. Small town living is just fine with me. i definitely want to live on the coast. right now i'm trying to find the right towns (for us) to look in to and knowing that the swansboro area is a nice area opens up a whole near part of ENC for jobs. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
Swansboro is nice. Small, quaint. My mother lives in Beaufort, and I used to live in Craven County - just outside of both Onslow County (Swansboro) and Carteret County (Beaufort).

It is also getting expensive, and I think either they did or they were thinking about putting a moratorium on new construction there. They didn't want it to get over built. If I am not mistaken, it is on the White Oak River, which is a salt river. Very close to Emerald Isle, Hammocks Beach and other beaches of the area.

Check around for your particular line of work before you commit (if you need to ). There is not an abundance of good jobs in the area unless you are a United States Marine...(you are some 20 minutes or so to Camp LeJeune).

Good luck to you. North Carolina is a beautiful state. I am particularly fond of the Eastern and the Western parts of the state.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
Swansboro is nice. Small, quaint. My mother lives in Beaufort, and I used to live in Craven County - just outside of both Onslow County (Swansboro) and Carteret County (Beaufort).

It is also getting expensive, and I think either they did or they were thinking about putting a moratorium on new construction there. They didn't want it to get over built. If I am not mistaken, it is on the White Oak River, which is a salt river. Very close to Emerald Isle, Hammocks Beach and other beaches of the area.

Check around for your particular line of work before you commit (if you need to ). There is not an abundance of good jobs in the area unless you are a United States Marine...(you are some 20 minutes or so to Camp LeJeune).

Good luck to you. North Carolina is a beautiful state. I am particularly fond of the Eastern and the Western parts of the state.

hi jbird. i'm definitely not committing to a specific town until a job is lined up for my dh which is why we're looking at a number of places on the coast (beaufort/MHC for jobs in new bern and kinston, swansboro for jobs in jacksonville, maybe surf city for jobs in wilmington). dh is a buyer so the job market's pretty slim on the coast but we're prepared for this to take time. the only thing that is set in stone is we want to be on the coast. It is a bit expensive to live on the coast but for us it'll be money well spent. Emerald Isle was beautiful too.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
Enjoy it there. I loved it, but had to move at the time. Both my kids were born in Coastal NC. My daughter was born in the same hospital that my Father passed away in just 4 years later. It is my second "home" and it is very special to me.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:51 PM

79 posts, read 313,455 times
Real estate prices are jumping quickly around Swansboro and the surrounding areas. You most likely won't find a decent house for under $200k these days and the nicer "family sized" homes are closer to $300 or $400k. You won't see water for less than $500 to 600k.

There is a big fee associated with new connections on the area sewer lines due to a shortage of sewer capacity but if you're buying an existing property then that won't affect you.

Bare minimum charge for water/sewer is about $35 a month. There are a couple different power companies in the area so your power bills may vary depending on who end up with. Flood insurance is doable but most likely not needed unless you're right on the water. I have it only because I life in a lowlying area. Crime rate is very low.

If you are not retired, definitely do not move to Swansboro unless you have a guaranteed job in Jacksonville or Morehead City. Jobs are not in large supply in that area and the drive to New Bern and beyond will get old very, very quickly. Traffic continues to grow thicker by the day. It's about a 45 min drive to New Bern on a good day with the way traffic is on Hwy 17.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams2 View Post
Real estate prices are jumping quickly around Swansboro and the surrounding areas. You most likely won't find a decent house for under $200k these days and the nicer "family sized" homes are closer to $300 or $400k. You won't see water for less than $500 to 600k.

There is a big fee associated with new connections on the area sewer lines due to a shortage of sewer capacity but if you're buying an existing property then that won't affect you.

Bare minimum charge for water/sewer is about $35 a month. There are a couple different power companies in the area so your power bills may vary depending on who end up with. Flood insurance is doable but most likely not needed unless you're right on the water. I have it only because I life in a lowlying area. Crime rate is very low.

If you are not retired, definitely do not move to Swansboro unless you have a guaranteed job in Jacksonville or Morehead City. Jobs are not in large supply in that area and the drive to New Bern and beyond will get old very, very quickly. Traffic continues to grow thicker by the day. It's about a 45 min drive to New Bern on a good day with the way traffic is on Hwy 17.

Thanks for this information. It's very helpful. What we make on the sale of our home, dh and my salary and the difference in taxes will ultimately determine what we can afford (right now we're looking at homes up to $350,000). We're staying away from new construction because the homes are too close to one another (my personal opinion) and I don't like how everyone one looks the same as the next.

It's nice to know you don't need flood insurance everywhere especially since we don't have it now (one less expense but we may just get it anyway just to be on the safe side). Crime rate is the most important for me so it's nice that it's low. We've quickly learned jobs are scarce which is why we're not in a rush. Neither one of us wants to move inland so we plan to wait it out until a job comes along even if it takes a year or two.

As far as traffic goes I'm pretty used to it. I commute an hour one way right now and that's on a good day. DH commutes 30-40 minutes now so it'll be an adjustment for him.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,225 times
My family lives in Swansboro. We have lived there for 10+ years. We moved from Florida. It reminds me of Fla, being on the coast. One good thing, it's not as crowded. Traffic picks up in the summertime, but still not as bad as Florida. Our subdivision is on the White Oak River - that leads to the ocean. There's a boat ramp in the s/d. There's alot of retired families and young families in the s/d. A good mixture!

Swansboro is 20 mins. to Emerald Isle (the beaches). It's about 30 mins. to Jacksonville for shopping or 30 mins. to Morehead City for shopping also. Swansboro is getting a Sears - appliance store coming within a year. Swanboro has shopping downtown and nice restaurants. Cape Carteret which is 10 mins. away, now has a Lowes Home Improvement and will be getting a Walmart. We're building up slowly!

As for jobs - my husband works in Havelock which is 45 mins. away. I work on Emerald Isle which is 20 mins. away. You could say Swansboro is a central location. It's very quiet and there's very little crime. You don't need schools, but that's one reason we chose Swansboro. It's a family community!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,633 times
Smile Lots of Swansboro Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I posted a few days ago asking for any information on swansboro but didn't get anything. does anyone know anything about this town? Is it similar to Beaufort? Average cost of utilities? Flood insurance? Crime rate? Thanks.
Sorry I missed you post. We live about five or six miles from Swansboro on the Carteret County side of the White Oak River.

We moved here last September and love it.

Swansboro is in Onslow County. Housing costs are lower than in Carteret County.

I have a Swansboro Travel Guide and a website with lots of info on Swansboro.

The Swansboro area isn't as tourist oriented as Beaufort. It also has more year round residents. Services are more accessible in the Swansboro area due to better roads.

Beaufort is gorgeous and one of my favorite places, but the draw bridge slows things down a lot.

There's a new Walgreens in Swansboro, a new Lowe's Home Improvement Store in nearby Cape Carteret and plans for a small Wallmart in Cedar Point.

Flood insurance depends on where you live.

Carteret County taxes are very reasonable compared to Roanoke, Virginia where we lived. Insurance on homes is about double or a little more, but the property taxes are one fifth so in total we are paying about 60% in taxes and insurance compared to what we paid in Roanoke.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina