Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 22,632 times

Advertisements

Hi Hopefully someone can help!

My partner has a job opp in Wilson NC we have a 2 year old son and would like some advice on where to live. We would like somewhere safe with good schools, would be happy to commute but no more than an hour. only just started to research so as much varied info would be a great help.
We have heard Raleigh is nice but not sure if we would be able to afford to live there?
We would like to be close to a decent town centre with shops and job opps for myself (admin), any info on further education for myself (age 24) would be great.

Any info would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM

39 posts, read 144,374 times
Default Dear LisaUK

Yeah, I'm moving to the Wilson NC area from UK, too. I'm in Wales now.
Local folks have told me the weak link is the school system. Some have moved away from there for that reason. What I'm getting is the schools are safe, but not great academically. I'm worried, because my daughter wants to be a doctor or lawyer.

I'm in it for better or worse .. moving to Spring Hope, but I hope I don't sell my kids short by doing so.

When are you moving over?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 210,009 times
You might want to check out Clayton, NC. It would be about a 45 minute commute from Clayton to Wilson. My parents have lived there for almost 8 years, and it's great because it's a small town (<10,000 people), but it's very close to a lot of big-town stuff, and of course, to Raleigh. Housing is also less expensive, and - according to my sister, who went to high school there - the schools aren't bad. And if you're looking into going back to school, it would be probably 30-45 minutes to commute to classes at any of the colleges in Raleigh. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM

180 posts, read 701,536 times
Hi, and welcome to the Wilson area. I'm a native of the city, though I'm living elsewhere now.

I felt I had a good education in the Wilson public schools but granted, I graduated in the mid-90's...and I guess I did okay, for I'm now at an Ivy League school doing a fellowship. Right now, the high schools are a bloody mess; I am unsure of how the middle and elementary schools are. For yourself, you will not be at a loss for good choices to further your own education. Wilson itself has Barton College, a small school that ranks fairly high in the southeast, and of course you would be less than an hour away from many good choices in the Raleigh area, especially if you were to live on the western fringes of the city. While Wilson is technically considered part of Eastern NC, I feel it's beginning to identify more with the Raleigh area than coastal areas. The economy is good with a lot of new housing and commerical growth.

IMO Wilson itself is a decently attractive town, there are a lot of tree-lined streets and would be plenty of safe choices for you to find a home but unfortunately we don't really have a town center that's vibrant. A few things have come to the downtown area that have brought some life back but you won't find a concentrated area of shopping/dining that you may be looking for. Raleigh's downtown may fit that criteria for you the best.

What I do hate, now living somewhere that has mass transit as the norm, is the lack of good transportation links other than the highways. It's not so bad driving, just tiring, and I wish I could jump on a train and go straight into Raleigh or wherever when I'm home. This area badly needs to improve it's mass transit infrastructure. However, you can take Amtrak to and from the major cities along the I-40 corridor, but train schedules are limited.

Hope at least some of this was helpful and welcome to NC!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 22,632 times
Hi all

Thanks for your replies. We have been looking into Clayton and it looks great, good schools, little town centre etc. We don't want to be somewhere too small so i think we are heading nearer to Raleigh so any suggestions as to where to live in and around Raleigh (not too far from Wilson probably about 45 mins commute give or take) would be great, please let us know where we should avoid, we want a good area for our 2 year old with good schools nurserys etc.

We are coming over in a couple of months so if you could also give us some ideas of where we should be visting that would be great. We probably won't be buying for at least a year so if you could also let me know of nice, clean, safe, pleasant etc etc places to rent that would also be great, we looked into Johnson lakes in Raleigh then read a few reviews and got put off (bad neighbours, site managers, drugs etc) but it looks so nice, so we're confused and don't want to have to move once we're put.

I know i'm asking alot and i was giving up hope of getting replies but this is very much appreciated and i look forward to your replies!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:06 AM

159 posts, read 551,949 times
This has my interest also, my daughter in law and husband are moving to this area also, working in Wilson.

Any info will help and they will be there for 5 days starting this weekend looking at a place to rent first then hopefully buy in Clayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina