Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 26,595 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a too short vacation in beautiful North Carolina, and I couldn't help but notice the proliferation of graves in people's front yards. They weren't in every yard or in every neighborhood, but I saw them in a variety of places. I traveled primarily in the coastal region, so I don't know if it's a statewide phenomenon. The graves were fairly new (60 yrs old or less) and sometimes located on the same street as a conventional graveyard. Ironically, I didn't see any graves in any of the churchyards. While I don't see anything really wrong with the practice, it's unlike anything we have here in California. It brings to mind a few questions though, what are the rules governing this practice? I only saw graves in the front yard by the highway. Are they allowed in the backyards? What happens if the property is sold? Is this something that is allowed to only certain people or groups? Renters can't bury in the yard, can they? Is this a common practice elsewhere? I'd really appreciate any input. It's just made me very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Are you sure they where Actual Grave Stones produce by a funeral homes. Or where they death markers where a car could have wreck with funeral flowers or it could be where Fido is buried

Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Never seen one that I am aware of. Have lived here a long time. I dunno.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM

56 posts, read 118,344 times
Yes, this Yankee saw headstones in yards on a trip to Topsail one year. I was told that zoning is a little loose in NC and it can happen. They were not markers from accidents, but real gravestones.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
There are numerous family burying grounds on people's 'home places' in NC. Seems pretty common. I do not know the rules and regs about burying your kin on your property...

I have also seen some real estate developments that include an old, private burying ground on their grounds. They've been protected by having a fence put around them. I find it kind of sweet to have relatives so close. Makes visiting the grave site pretty convenient...

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

128 posts, read 509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoztom View Post
I just returned from a too short vacation in beautiful North Carolina, and I couldn't help but notice the proliferation of graves in people's front yards. They weren't in every yard or in every neighborhood, but I saw them in a variety of places. I traveled primarily in the coastal region, so I don't know if it's a statewide phenomenon. The graves were fairly new (60 yrs old or less) and sometimes located on the same street as a conventional graveyard. Ironically, I didn't see any graves in any of the churchyards. While I don't see anything really wrong with the practice, it's unlike anything we have here in California. It brings to mind a few questions though, what are the rules governing this practice? I only saw graves in the front yard by the highway. Are they allowed in the backyards? What happens if the property is sold? Is this something that is allowed to only certain people or groups? Renters can't bury in the yard, can they? Is this a common practice elsewhere? I'd really appreciate any input. It's just made me very curious.
I've appraised several thousand homes in a 5 county area in the past 10 years and I can count the number of graves I've seen on private property on one finger. (it was a 19th century grave if I remember correctly) I can't speak for 20 years ago or 50 years ago but since I've been involved in real estate appraisal I have never seen a residential zoning district that would allow for the burial of human remains on a private residential property. I doubt it's legal even under some kind of special use permit.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
I only know of 1 burial in a yard in recent times. Years ago...we're talking 50 or more...it was common to have a family cemetery in the yard, out in rural areas. What you saw is probably remains of these.....

Two years ago, a child in our community died, and her family did bury her in their yard to have her close by. Other than that, I've never seen it done.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
I know you do see alot of random Grave plots, notreally any newer ones. As far aas zoning, I don't think developers, or even, the governement, may develop on, or disturb any gravesites, with the exception that if they get the proper permits they can move them. Most just find it easier to throw a fence around it and call it a day. There are graves at the courthouse in Greenville, though I do not recall the circumstances clearly, I think they were moved to the spot.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I've seen it other areas too. This is getting kinda specific but if you go down Bat's Neck Rd on Maryland's Kent Island and look to your left there is a few of them sitting right there. When I lived in Mayo, MD we had little family cemeterys here and there. In Annapolis, MD there is a family cemetery right by the Annapolis Mall. Right at the corner of Riva Rd. and West St. My wife has a couple of family members in that one. My next door neighbor has a 3 acre place. She is a member of the Wilson family and they go back a couple/few hundred years in Eastern Carolina. She lives on the last piece of the original Wilson farm. It was several hundred acres at one time. Anyway, her uncle is buried under some pine trees on the property in an unmarked grave.

It's not unusual to find family cemeterys anywhere in the country. The reason you don't see them in a lot of places is nature has reclaimed a lot of them. Trees grow up. The vaults sink. Here in Eastern Carolina there's a whole lot of wide open, flat land and they're a little more visable. They have also been burying people here a whole lot longer than most other places.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
. There are graves at the courthouse in Greenville, though I do not recall the circumstances clearly, I think they were moved to the spot.

Probably people who were bored to death by a politicians speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina