Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,208 times

Advertisements

New to Thread, Coming down in Sept 2010 to fish for Specks and Founder, Going to rent house on Sound side with a dock. Wondering which area would be best Pamlico or Albemarle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
fishful,
The Albemarle and the Pamlico Sounds combined encompass and extremely large area. Can you be abit more specific?
Bill

Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Fishing OBX

We have located houses from Kill Devil Hills to Frisco, wanted to what area you would think would be the best fishing. Of course I just read the article of the big fish kill.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM

September is an interesting month. We are coming out of the hottest air and water temperatures of the year and transitioning towards fall. The winds sill start to shift from a southerly direction to a northerly.
Traditionally the first "mullet blow" happens in September.

Mullets in surf/waves during a "Mullet Blow" along Bogue Banks

So with all of that said-A lot depends on whether your visit is at the beginning of September or the end.
If you catch it during/after the wind shift-The surf should be great for flounder. All inlets will be too.
Divulging speckled trout locations is one of those "I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" scenarios!!
Oh-Forgot to ask-Do you have a boat?
Two places you just got to visit while on Hatteras Island. First is Frank & Fran's B&T located in Avon, NC (Northern Hatteras Island).
The other is Red Drum Bait & Tackle located in Buxton (The point area of Hatteras Island).
These two places will be have everything you may need in terms of bait and tackle-But more importantly-They make it their business to know what is biting right now at the moment.

By the way-Puppy drum catches right now have been fantastic in the surf around Frisco with trout and stripers mixed.
Bill

Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Yes a 17' carolina skiff we were hoping to fish the sounds.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM

124 posts, read 558,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
September is an interesting month. We are coming out of the hottest air and water temperatures of the year and transitioning towards fall. The winds sill start to shift from a southerly direction to a northerly.
Traditionally the first "mullet blow" happens in September.

Mullets in surf/waves during a "Mullet Blow" along Bogue Banks

So with all of that said-A lot depends on whether your visit is at the beginning of September or the end.
If you catch it during/after the wind shift-The surf should be great for flounder. All inlets will be too.
Divulging speckled trout locations is one of those "I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" scenarios!!
Oh-Forgot to ask-Do you have a boat?
Two places you just got to visit while on Hatteras Island. First is Frank & Fran's B&T located in Avon, NC (Northern Hatteras Island).
The other is Red Drum Bait & Tackle located in Buxton (The point area of Hatteras Island).
These two places will be have everything you may need in terms of bait and tackle-But more importantly-They make it their business to know what is biting right now at the moment.

By the way-Puppy drum catches right now have been fantastic in the surf around Frisco with trout and stripers mixed.
Bill

Wow.They are catching drum and trout in the surf now.....What is the water temp in the surf up there?Would think it would be in the 40s.
Didn't even know that was possible.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Water temperatures for today. Note the plume of warm water coming off the Gulf Stream between Cape hatteras and Cape Lookout. This warm water plume is a traditional occurrence. This location will have the warmest waters in nearest to the beach.
(A tip for you bluefinners)
Also note the cold blue waters that have wrapped around the point of Hatteras. Traditionally those cold waters will continue on down to Ocracoke/Ocracoke Inlet on into Feb.-Then recede as spring approaches.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM

124 posts, read 558,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Water temperatures for today. Note the plume of warm water coming off the Gulf Stream between Cape hatteras and Cape Lookout. This warm water plume is a traditional occurrence. This location will have the warmest waters in nearest to the beach.
(A tip for you bluefinners)
Also note the cold blue waters that have wrapped around the point of Hatteras. Traditionally those cold waters will continue on down to Ocracoke/Ocracoke Inlet on into Feb.-Then recede as spring approaches.

That is really interesting.Seems to me surf fishing parts of the OBX can be a year long thing.I never would of thought that.Have to make a trip.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 AM

One of my most memorable surf fishing trips was off of Portsmouth Island in February several years back. Almost quite literally a drum was caught on every cast.
What a difference a day makes in sea water surface temperatures!
Bill

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 01-15-2010 at 05:14 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
I've heard rumors of a moratorium on bee-liners and red snapper, or at least seriously curtailed limit numbers. Would this fall into the "seasonal", "temporary", "permanent", or "I don't know" category?, Yeah I know bee-liners (vermillion snapper) are deep water, relatively speaking, somewhere around 300 ft., fishes - and not normally caught surf fishing, but....the boats do go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina